Merino wool carpet

Walt

I have a client who installed merino wool throughout their home. It's absolutely the most luxurious carpet I have ever seen or touched.

But, they've already "felted" a few spots in cleaning attempts and had some color loss from using natures miracle (the orange bottle has peroxide in it).

Unfortunately, I don't see it holding up very well. I think it's just too soft.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
takes some education of the owner to care for properly and for some people that's just too much to ask for.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Shoot the carpet designer!!! And the interior designer that specified it too!!

Merino is awesome to wear as clothing, but carpet :shock: :roll:

You might just earn yourself a client for life with that one, especially if you can correct their issues and remove the felting successfully. Got tehm to understand they need to call you for everything rather than attempting to self help and stuff it up.

John

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I agree with what Lockitt has said re the Merino wool.

However, it is my understanding after doing the WONZ course in New Zealand and touring several carpet mills, most wool carpet is a blend which includes Lancashire and other wool varieties from the UK and elsewhere.

These other varieties (especially the Scottish wools), are much coarser than Merino, and when blended gives us the beautiful wool carpet that we see today.

BTW, Wool carpet is nothing to be scared of when cleaning, you just have to advise your clients accordingly on it's maintenance, and clean to the standard or recommendations.

As Lockitt said, Merino on it's own is ideal for the garment industry, but definately not carpet.

I live in the tropics where we see relatively little wool carpet compared to synthetics.

Whereas Lockitt Johnny who lives in the southern hemispheres equivalent of the frozen tundra, works with it probably every day.

shiteatinggrin

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Merino can be used to give a silk-like look. Definitely a smarter choice than silk if you want a shiny carpet, but only for those with the money to have something they won't see in their neighbor's house. You be the expert and they'll never call anyone else.

You should see what's coming through the shop in area rugs lately. They will make ANYTHING a designer wants in India.

Although I'd bet the laborers are laughing at the stupid Americans and Europeans that buy those products.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Look up Ron Toney. He's actually sheared wool carpet to bring it back.

I'm sure he got paid a pretty penny for it.

I think he has a picture on his website.

Search for him on Facebook or google it and you should find it

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I also shear/crop/de pill carpets here in New Zealand. Depends how you market it, but there can be good returns in it. But not cheap to set up and only a limited client base to work with.

If it's a small area, no need for expensive machinery etc. Drop me a PM if you like.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom