Microfiber material trapping ability

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I really really impressed lately when prescrubbing areas with some newly acquired combo microfiber/scrub strip bonnets.
They really chew through dark traffic lanes, and based on the immediate visable results, the notion is that they are picking up a good amount of soil.

Yet I am very surprised every time I finish a job, and proceed to rinse them out.
Every time I expect to see the pads give up what they got, and turn the water black, I am somewhat disappointed by what seems to be rinsing out, as it appears to be minimal, barely browning the rinse water. Nothing compared to rinsing out even a moderately soiled cotton pad in my experience.

Either the microfiber material being used has a great ability to not only trap soil, but also to RETAIN it….. or…… they are not actually removing as much as they appear to.

What do you get back when you rinse them?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
They do remove and retain a lot of soil. The shape of the fiber acts to scrape off dirt. But that shape, the small size and the large number of microfibers in the same space as a single cotton fiber give lots of places to hold that dirt. It takes time to release the dirt. This process is much slower than for cotton bonnets.

View attachment 4532

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
One thing I found out on a batch of microfiber cloths that I laundered is not to use any sort of fabric softener, dryer sheets, etc. The softener clogs the mf pores and wrecks their superior absorption. Doesn't apply if you're just rinsing them out, of course.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I do quite a bit of OP cleaning with microfibers and Superzorbs. I regularly rinse them out under running water and it varies how much soil will show up.

Also depends on the type of carpet and the type of soil we just scrubbed. Some carpets will give up incredible amounts of dirt (as I can see in the rinse water, while wringing them out) some not so much.

I do feel like the Superzorbs from Jeff Hruby, are a better final step in OP cleaning, than just running microfibers.

So I always do passes with microfibers and follow that with Superzorbs right away, before the carpet dries.

Last edited:

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
how are you " rinsing " them out Frank?

if on site put them in a mop bucket and let them sit for a bit then give them a good manly ring, you will see the same stuff come out as other pads
Open your washing machine part way into the cycle too lol

I like to use a Canadian made product to wash them out that " shocks " the material into dropping everything for both the mf bonnets and cloths. Works fantastic!

agree with above on a really bad traffic lane or something I prefer to hit it again with a glad/superzorb

Last edited:

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
As far as I can tell Scott nailed it. The information I've heard about Microfiber is pretty compelling. I've heard of large organizations that have cut way back on the chemicals they use to clean because they now use microfiber. From everything I am hearing throughout the cleaning industry, microfiber is more capable of capturing soil than traditional fibers for cleaning.

Take a look at Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber#Textiles_for_cleaning

Here is a little graphic that shows how microfiber captures soil...

microfiber-vs-cotton.jpg

Our MicroBeast and MicroGlide bonnets have become super popular. We've had zero complaints with them. In fact we hear nothing but great things about them. So I think the reasoning in favor of microfiber has merit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom