mildew odor removal

had severe thunderstorms in houston,tx customer called to have water extracted from a dennys rest. repeat monthly account which i clean monthly instructed custy that i do not do restoration drying that i could simply extract and apply microban , she did not want to set up air movers fearing customers would suspect water damage to the restaruant she cut corners , i told her to hire a professional restoration company to get done right so, now she is complaining that is a mildewy smell in the carpet, how can i help her remove this problem any suggestion would help.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
It's not uncommon for customers to think a wet carpet only needs to be cleaned to restore it to a pre loss condition. That is not the case. Controlling the temperature and humidity as well as air flow to create an environment conducive to drying is what needs to be done. The odor is likely fungus growing.
In commercial settings it is difficult to control the environment with air movement and dehumidification due to the number of people using the affected area. It may be more cost effective for your customer to replace the affected carpet, pad? and sheetrock? than to shut the area down during the drying process. Have them speak to a reputable restoration firm to discuss their options.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
prestige cleaner said:
had severe thunderstorms in houston,tx customer called to have water extracted from a dennys rest. repeat monthly account which i clean monthly instructed custy that i do not do restoration drying that i could simply extract and apply microban , she did not want to set up air movers fearing customers would suspect water damage to the restaruant she cut corners ,

then tell her she's a nincompoop and deserves what she gets

or better yet, give her that Dan Akroyd SNL line,

"Jane, you ignorant slut"

then tell her there's not a damn thing you can do, cause she's too stupid or too cheap to get dried out

..L.T.A.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
prestige cleaner said:
had severe thunderstorms in houston,tx customer called to have water extracted from a dennys rest. repeat monthly account which i clean monthly instructed custy that i do not do restoration drying that i could simply extract and apply microban , she did not want to set up air movers fearing customers would suspect water damage to the restaruant she cut corners , i told her to hire a professional restoration company to get done right so, now she is complaining that is a mildewy smell in the carpet, how can i help her remove this problem any suggestion would help.

This is why I look down my nose at anybody who has "Emergency Water Removal" as one of their services.

It'd be like ambulances that just come out and mop up the blood and leave the victim bleeding in the street. "You might want to see a doctor about that"

Rex Tyus

B&BGaryC said:
[quote="prestige cleaner":396mnkfr]had severe thunderstorms in houston,tx customer called to have water extracted from a dennys rest. repeat monthly account which i clean monthly instructed custy that i do not do restoration drying that i could simply extract and apply microban , she did not want to set up air movers fearing customers would suspect water damage to the restaruant she cut corners , i told her to hire a professional restoration company to get done right so, now she is complaining that is a mildewy smell in the carpet, how can i help her remove this problem any suggestion would help.

This is why I look down my nose at anybody who has "Emergency Water Removal" as one of their services.

It'd be like ambulances that just come out and mop up the blood and leave the victim bleeding in the street. "You might want to see a doctor about that"[/quote:396mnkfr]

No need to look down your nose. If he reccomended calling a restoration company and she didn't do it it is straight up time for him to say, I TOLD YOU SO. Should a tree service be required to rebuild a ROOF when a tree is blown on it? No. They say "we got the tree out now CALL A CONTRACTOR".

The smell will dissipate when it is dry. Untill it gets moisture again. Every month when you clean this place from now on she will complaion about the smell. If she was too cheap to rent the proper equipment to dry it, it is highly unlikely she will replace the carpet. Be careful how you handle this. I would be firm on I TOLD YOU SO. You can try to prespray AND extract with a microban QGC type product. It won't solve the problem but it may help with the smell. It really does need to be replaced now but like I said it is unlikely to happen.

G

Simply Tell her to rent your Dehumidifiers for a week; and let you clean the carpet with a viralcide; Sani-512 By MPC; then Apply the Enzibrite after extraction let sit for 20 minutes; extract; then clean the carpet as normal with your favorite chems. This may make you a hero. After last cleaning fan dry completely; remember to leave dehumidifiers on fo about a week.

Rex Tyus

Ricky, he doesn't have any dehues. He does not do restoration. What you suggest "may" help. It will not cure any microbial growth in the backing of the carpet however. To actually restore the carpet it would be much more cost effective to replace. He should not make too many promises on this. It will come back to haunt him.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I have an emergency service where I just get the majority of the water out..I will even pull pad and carpet if it's not doody water.

F U Gary. :D

You can look down your nose at me if you want but that means I will be looking UP your nose...and they missed a few hairs on the wax job...should of gotten the happy ending.
:wink:

Able 1

Name
Keith
When I get calls I tell them right away that they should call *******. If they insist that I come over and extract that is what I'll do.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I just don't think it's so cut and dry with carpet cleaners and disaster restorers. People don't get it. When they call a real disaster restoration company they still don't get it. The confusion is amplified when you can't even provide the service they need. In their mind, they think they called somebody and fixed it. When their neighbor called their carpet cleaner (Who was a certified restorer) he sucked the water out and "took care of it". They call their carpet cleaner they think they got it taken care of.

I'm not saying everybody who does it is a hack, but you can spot them. Usually they have a very bold type on their business card or yellow page add that says "Emergency water removal". Hoss with a shop vac can do emergency water removal. If it's real bad, they oughta call Cletus with his sump pump. However, Hoss, Cletus, and the "Emergency water removal" boys can't tell Mrs. phiff how much water was removed down to the grain. They can't tell her where the water went. "I sucked up what I could see, maybe you should call somebody who has a clue. Here's my bill."

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
do they ever close? if they do go in and do a deep clean on it and the spay down milgo heavy over all affected areas then turn the a/c down to 64 and turn all the cieling fans on also will help if you tell to keep all lights on the whole time, i dont know why about the lights but my mentor told me always leave lights on. this should almost eliminate the odor. i was down in houston in september last year after the hurricane and had this issue in a few account that had me come down after a "24 hour emergency water damage company" came out and only sucked up the water and left. also if you can do this make sure you turn all the a/c units they have down to 62 more than likely they have more than one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom