Milk in Silk

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
We have a silk rug that we got with dried milk in it. We have flushed and cleaned twice. It looks good but still stiff in milk area. Any idea on how to get it all out?? Thanks.

Ron K

Kevin Have you used a Brass brush after it was dry? A good cleaning/washing should take care of milk we've never really had problems with that, sometimes if it has soured the smell can be a bit of a pain. You can try to mist with 1/8 tspn Fabric Softener 1tblspn Denatured Alcohol to a quart of Distilled water. But only after all residue i is gone.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Did you use a protein spotter on it? Watch your PH a lot of them can be quite high. Not good for natural fibers, especially dedicates like silk.

Test for color difference or lightened areas. Its no good to remove the milk but leave a halo when you used the product.

If it were stiff from the cleaning then all of the rug would be stiff (very possible with silk) but if its more so where the milk was spilled, then I don't think the residue is completely gone.

Being silk, I'd call the client and see if she is willing to take on some risk of you spotting the milk. No point on you taking on the liability unless you spilt it. :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Thanks guys. A protein spotter is what I was thinking. It was very dry and stiff when we got it. Still only stiff where the milk was.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:eekk: So is wool.

Maybe you should use Avenge, its a neutral spotter and should still work on the milk.

I looked at the the protein spotters we use and they range from 9.0-to 10.5. Not High but maybe a little too high for natural fibers.

Reactions: J Scott W

Ron K

Thanks guys. A protein spotter is what I was thinking. It was very dry and stiff when we got it. Still only stiff where the milk was.
That means that residue is still there Wash /rinse it out.
When you clean Wall to wall do you first pour Spotter on a milkspot? I don't .I rinse and flush and rinse and flush use a water claw then maybe a spotter for Staining/nonsoluable/fat, not residue.
Residue is residual .

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Depends on the spot, something like that I'd let the protein spotter digest it then rinse. Grease and oil spot first. Unknown or water base flush and judge if it needs a spotter still.

Reactions: KevinL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom