Minor seam damage - pulled thread

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
This is something I get a lot of. A lack of seam sealant and trimming too close to the rows and sooner or later this happens.

This lady caught it early and sellotaped it down to stop her crawling baby pulling it further.

IMG_3775.jpg

I removed the primary backing and yarn and grafted another section in.

IMG_3777.jpg

The donor piece is brand new and so the tufts are standing taller than the surrounding area which is a main traffic area. That will disappear fairly quickly.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
john nice repair. I see we do work with the same material. Different part of the world everyday same stuff. I also do alot of wiltons, axes, velvets and kara-locs. Natural fibers as well as sisals, jutes and sea grasses.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
The vast majority of carpets I work on are usually tufted loop pile wool or wool rich types.

I don't do a lot with wovens - except for carpet cleaning.

I come across a few cut pile repairs but mainly loop pile and pulled threads etc.

Also the majority of the carpets I work on a jute backed. I find the latex bond holds that much tighter than on a action backed carpet. I find on action backed, I can remove the secondary fairly quickly and easily but it's a lot more difficult on the jute backed ones.

John

John Watson

I tend to talk to my clients to find out how the heard of us and why they waited so long to call some one to repair their problem. I have had quite a few tell me that since they didn't have any extra carpet they didn't think it was repairable. Donner pieces are easy to find if you know where to look!!!! Not always, but most of the time.

You guys want repairs? Let your clients know you fix them.
Go look at it, take a camera, if you can't figure it out, show the photos, I bet there is someone here that can help you before you schedule it in at a later time. It also gives you a chance to go home and try to duplicate it on scrap pieces and go back and be a Hero!!!!

Have loop pile carpet?? Someday some time 95% of you will have a pulled row or what is also called a zipper thread. Please don't pull or cut off. Secure it down with tape and call me. It is repairable, No extra carpet No Problem.

Years ago while sending out Newsletters to my clients I included small blurb like this with a photo of 2 pulled rows and a small pile of yarn.

Phone rang like crazy. We didn't know you did repairs!!!!

Another one I did was a picture of a pet dig at the doorway and used the title Got Pets???? We can make better even if you don't have extra carpets.

Installed many Bonded Inserts (Thank you Barry Costa for the term) sections, saddles, placed damaged pieces back in a closet or under a sofa.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
John reason being the jute backed good quality of latex is far more superior. Back when it was first originated the latex was even more rubber based. This is why and still till today people kick carpet in. Due to action back goods poor quality latex is used most of the time. Calcium carbonate filled latex. Installers today can in know way without a power stretcher obtain a substantial stretch. The quality for most parts of the latex is of poor quality. What about the pic in backings . How does this help . Does any one know the 3 most common pics in action back.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I assume you mean the first photo?

No, although there was a little bit of glue in there. She just taped the whole thing down to stop it getting worse so the 'mess' you can see under the cello-tape is the bundled yarn.

John

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Re:

John Watson said:
I tend to talk to my clients to find out how the heard of us and why they waited so long to call some one to repair their problem. I have had quite a few tell me that since they didn't have any extra carpet they didn't think it was repairable. Donner pieces are easy to find if you know where to look!!!! Not always, but most of the time.

You guys want repairs? Let your clients know you fix them.
Go look at it, take a camera, if you can't figure it out, show the photos, I bet there is someone here that can help you before you schedule it in at a later time. It also gives you a chance to go home and try to duplicate it on scrap pieces and go back and be a Hero!!!!

Have loop pile carpet?? Someday some time 95% of you will have a pulled row or what is also called a zipper thread. Please don't pull or cut off. Secure it down with tape and call me. It is repairable, No extra carpet No Problem.

Years ago while sending out Newsletters to my clients I included small blurb like this with a photo of 2 pulled rows and a small pile of yarn.

Phone rang like crazy. We didn't know you did repairs!!!!

Another one I did was a picture of a pet dig at the doorway and used the title Got Pets???? We can make better even if you don't have extra carpets.

Installed many Bonded Inserts (Thank you Barry Costa for the term) sections, saddles, placed damaged pieces back in a closet or under a sofa.

I'm pulling back an oldie. :lol:

As I'm watching Steve's dvd the thing that keeps coming into my head is that most people do not have any extra pieces of carpet to use as a donor. I know going to a closet or something along those lines will be a possibility most of the time but where else do you get suitable donor pieces?

Maybe more people than I realize actually do have extra carpet?

Stevea

Joey,

Good question, most of the time there is somewhere you can find a donor piece, especially if you are grafting just a couple of rows. If you are grafting and need two or three rows you can almost always powerstretch the carpet in some areas and take that off the edge of the carpet.

If you have pulled rows along a seam, which is fairly common, if the need arises one can always open the seam, trim it and put it back together, this way there is no need for a donor piece.

When you consider all of the berbers that run or zipper, start saving and start acquiring pieces of berber carpet, you will find a lot that are close enough to graft in and if it is a busy piece it will match fairly well. Not always but many times you will find something very close.

Then there is always the closet or mats they may have laying around.

I have a very large bonded insert to do on a wool tufted carpet that is fairly old but fortunately they have a couple of mats of the same material and I will use a cut out from those pieces. This will be about a 3 foot by 4 foot piece so I am very glad they have the mats.

Look in closets, in basements in laundry rooms and anywhere, often there are some pieces. Ask them if they have any remnants, many times they will have one rolled up somewhere. I acquire a lot of little pieces of carpet this way from inspections so I find there is often some pieces of the carpet somewhere in the home.

Hope this helps a little.

SA

John Watson

Just to add to what Steve said, Under heat registers, In some rooms of older carpet I have got a donor piece from under the sofa, They wern't ever going to move it, I was able to fix their unsightly problems and they were able to put off buying new carpet for a few more years. If larger pieces are needed, using a smaller rooms carpet for the donor, replace room with different or something similar.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I now do a lot of rental units for a very large builder, also for Defence Housing Authority as well as a prominent real estate agent.

In many of these units and/or houses, especially the brand new ones, (I also do a builders clean of carpet), I find many left over bits.

These are usually left in a wardrobe, or as a door mat.

For the last year or so I have been collecting them and now have a pretty good supply.

With the builder, nearly a thousand units by the end of this year, all the carpet is the same.

So I have plenty of this carpet.

I also do work for several carpet stores as well as cleaning the stores carpet.

This again is another opportunity for me to get more off-cuts.

There are many places to source carpet as well as the ones mentioned above.

Ooroo :roll:

Stevea

John and Shorty,

Great information, I guess most of us take for granted we will figure out where or how to get something but making a list is pretty good for newer ones. Both very helpful pieces of information for all of us.

Joey should feel better about this now.

SA

harryhides

Name
Tony
If you don't already, start developing a good relationship with a few Carpet stores ( doing repairs will speed up this process ).
They are always throwing out old sample mats or trying to sell them for a buck each. Pretty soon you will have a collection of various types and colors. This will never help with large repairs but on small ones, all you need is something close enough to adjust the pile height and color to make it work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom