Mohawk Carpets Disallowing Claims??

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Talked to a customer yesterday that had bought Smart Strand carpet. She says Mohawk will void any claims if you use a Dyson vacuum. Any carpet inspectors out there confirm this? I'm trying to find the actual wording in the warrantee that says this. They say it's too powerful and can burn the fibers quickly if vac is held in one spot too long. Cheapee vacs seem to be the only thing that won't damage the carpet. (Dirt Devil, etc....)

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
We have a specific Australasian warranty and there's nothing of that in there, at least not that I have seen.

They have even re worded the cleaning criteria to a recommendation from a necessity.

I think Shaw adopted the anti Dyson attitude first didn't they?

John

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I think it has more to do with how aggressive the brush is and not much with the motor's strength.

That's why they love lint movers like Oreck.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I think Shaw adopted the anti Dyson attitude first didn't they?

John

I forget the Ole Codger's name ..Carry" something or other" I think he is first name was Carry
i pretty sure he was/is involved with Shaw .
i recall him saying something to the effect that the Dyson Animal put 5 years of wear on a cut pile in a matter of days

I think it has more to do with how aggressive the brush is and not much with the motor's strength.

that's my understanding too, Ofer

..L.TA.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

If you feel the brush roll on a dyson "animal" the brushes/bristles are way too hard. It basically rips the top of fibers/fiber distortion.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Well, thats what we get for letting China produce everything. Shitty Quality!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
could you run it on concrete to break the brush in like on a pile lfter?

the pile lifter can remove a 1/4 inch of concrete if you can hold the thing still long enough...that thing is heavey and the brush it stiffer then the dyson......

only the purple ( or what ever color they have changed it to ) has the really stiff brush for removing animal hair....

so are they talking daily or every few day use...or are they saying in General..on average...how often is your vacuum hitting your clients floors...once every 6 months...or once a year....

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I had to rectify some pretty extreme fluffing on a mid quality loop pile wool carpet a while back. The damage was caused by their new Miele pet vacuum with an aggressive brush.

Vacuum retail store refunded them and 'settled' with the carpet manufacturer.

John

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
CRI stated that Dyson DID NOT pass the vacuum testing . . .

because it put excessive distortion on the carpet fiber.

CRI member mills recommend vacuums that pass the SOA testing.

Larry

Reactions: GCCLee

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

To my knowlege there is nothing in print and each mill is handeling it as they see fit. Can Larry tell us where the above is in print? But if as an Inspector I go out and find that ANY vacuum is being used (on a fuzzing/bearding/shedding etc. complaint) that is not SOA cerfied- they want to know about in the report. I can tell you privatley what I was told they do. I can also tell you privatley what Professional testing lab told me about the Dyson.

SIncerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I can tell you privatley what I was told they do. I can also tell you privatley what Professional testing lab told me about the Dyson.
SIncerely,
Dale
Privacy is way over rated Dale.
How can we keep that privacy, yet increase our level of professional knowledge?

steve_64

the pile lifter can remove a 1/4 inch of concrete if you can hold the thing still long enough...that thing is heavey and the brush it stiffer then the dyson......

only the purple ( or what ever color they have changed it to ) has the really stiff brush for removing animal hair....

so are they talking daily or every few day use...or are they saying in General..on average...how often is your vacuum hitting your clients floors...once every 6 months...or once a year....
i use my pile lifter a lot for pet hair removal. i screwed up an apartment carpet when i first got it, before i broke it in on concrete but now it works great.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

Not to appear to be curt-but fulltime Inspectors spend $1000’s every year to keep up with the industry. Then all we have to do is not be confidential 1 time (our #1 asset)) and we are no longer used by Manufactures. I may share a helpful thought but, I am only interested in keeping my business.

Here’s something to consider. if we buy or recommending a vacuum: If CRI’s SOA program has not approved one, why leave ourselves open to a possible voided warranty claim? I have a fuzzing complaint report that I’m holding right now to see if the Manufactures Technical dept wants me to do further testing on-or to ship them a sample. Bottom- line, I don’t now how they will handle it, but if it’s my carpet-I don’t want to give anybody a way of saying I voided a warranty.
<o:p </o
Sincerely,
Dale<o:p></o
www.flooringinspector.com

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We actually do just the opposite, we spend thousands on training every year on multiple individuals only to disseminate that information to others at no charge. Differences in the services offered. :icon_neutral:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That's understood Dale.

Though the common belief amongst us, the sweaty masses here, is that the warranties are a joke.

And please, feel free to share that with the mills and manufacturers :winky:.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yes R.
Carpet cleaning, in case you were wondering from your well airconditioned ivy tower and after you enjoyed-

stock-photo-ripe-raspberries-isolated-on-white-background-cutout-119905855.jpg

is pretty much like this:

stock-photo-image-of-businessman-rolling-a-giant-stone-100414498.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Many mills send literature saying Do not use Dyson on there materials. The brush is to stiff and the problem is no height setting. It is for floor or carpet. But you can put it on floor because the suction is strong. Also Oreck same thing.

Last edited:

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I'm using Kirby at the moment. The machine is a CRI gold unit so that's a good sign. No blooming issues yet.

Grant

Able 1

Name
Keith
The absolute garbage carpet they are making today is no fault of ANY vacuum, though they like to blame it on one or two just to get out of it.. OR the last one I heard is that "You need a guy that runs portables, because the heat and suction of a truck mount will ruin the carpet".. LOL I could run a belt sander over 30 year old nylon and it would look great, a little shorter, but still great!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Martin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom