Mohawk Smartstrand Sonora

Willy P

Name
Willy P
SHIT. Of all the carpet I've seen in the last 20 years this is the worst crap I've seen. I did a job for a new referral customer today. No way in hell could I do anything with it. The gent had the original invoice from 4 years ago. I did a quick google and saw why I couldn't make this better. It;s no friggin wonder the carpet business is dying a slow death with utter shitty quality like this crap. I suggested the customer start a warranty claim as this is an outright rip off.

Reactions: hogjowl and Mikey P

hogjowl

Idiot™
I totally agree! And to make matters WORSE, that crap makes me have to put the Kirby on the van!

It's almost enough to make me quit.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Marty,
Do you have difficulty vacuuming the original SmartStrand or the SmartStrand Silk?

Willy,
What specific problems did you have: overall soiling, staining, urine removal, crushing/matting?

Name
Lee Stockwell
If only their R&D could catch up with their marketing. Such cute and attractive names for such ugly children.

Methinks their Rug&Doctor brains have been diverted into spending too much time testing other peoples' product.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I have a customer that is one of the cleaner people I clean for...cleaned their tan carpet for 4 years with excellent results...then they replaced it with MOHAWK SMART STRAND...it has to be the worst I've ever seen carpet soil in 18 months....for only residing there half of the year..I just don't see how this carpet has dark trailing that wont clean out...and MOHAWKS answer was "well their condo doesn't offer enough space to trail elsewhere" So my question is? Why hasnt this happened with the prior tan nylon...

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I have it in one room and hate it!
It also holds odors and have to vacuum all the time.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Marty,
Do you have difficulty vacuuming the original SmartStrand or the SmartStrand Silk?

Willy,
What specific problems did you have: overall soiling, staining, urine removal, crushing/matting?

Blackened traffic areas that just don't budge. Stains that normally don't give me much grief impossible to get to budge. This stuff was 3 years old and looked like it was 20. It did have a nice hand, but after reading up on the reviews from end users and seeing the way it wore, all I can say is it's garbage that I wouldn't ever recommend to a customer. It's the crap like this that's making wood and tiles the preferred flooring choice and shrinking the carpet sales.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
The scary part Willy is that this is what we will be dealing with for the next decade. Polyester in both forms PET (pop bottle) and PTT (Smart Strand) is the dominant fiber in residential. Hopefully our chemical manufacturers will help us out with fiber specific products.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Does the IICRC ever voice their findings on this matter to the mls?
And do the mills care?
There are some cleaners on the CRI task force that gives cleaners a voice with the carpet mills. Thank goodness for those associations.
The IICRC has also released a study in their technical juornal on cleaning fine denier polyester that found rotary extraction made a difference.

Which is exactly what we found. We use Hydramaster's Polybreak and a Rotovac. No problems.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim Smith & I did a cleaning demo for Mohawk factory rep . . .

on some "premature" traffic lane darkening.

Took Dynachem POG, in addition to PowerMax traffic lane prespray.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
May I suggest a light misting of lacquer thinner, followed by mopping on lighter fluid and finally a steam cleaning

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom