Mohawk Smartstrand

Able 1

Name
Keith
The superior stain resistance of SmartStrand® carpet is engineered into the fiber and will never wear or wash off, meaning consumers will never need to retreat the carpet with stain protectors after steam cleaning. And this engineered-in stain resistance reaches new levels of protection, allowing tough stains such as mustard, red wine, and cherry Kool-Aid® to be removed simply with warm water and a mild detergent, or with Mohawk FloorCare™ Essentials. The fiber even resists discoloration from bleach. Learn more about SmartStrand! Mohawk Handyman and television personality Chip Wade shows off this innovative fiber.

Wow I can't wait to clean some..

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Mikey I posted the exact same question on the Aussie board just eariler today!!

I have a client asking if it's the best for her home and when I asked the sales rep about it, he said he'd check with the importer and get back to me.

This is his email.

Hi John,

With regards to your inquiry yesterday about Sundancer carpet. With regards to cleaning its not such good news, the carpet is engineered to basically not need anything more than regular vacuuming. It has a number of very good warranties, including lifetime stain resistance, and is designed so that the average person could remove any stain by scrubbing with Sard Wondersoap. As stated by the manufacturer the fiber is inherently stain resistant, it is also soil resistant, fade resistant, naturally bleach resistant, anti static and easy maintenance.

Bottom line: it is designed to never need a professional clean. In saying that if someone wants it cleaned there is no reason why not.

The fiber is made directly from the oil extracted from corn husks, which is, through some process of manufacturing, stretched into the fiber, which is pre-crinkled and woven into the strand, which is called Eco-strand.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Michael

John

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I believe this is the carpet one of my customers had installed in her house with the pet pad underneath

dog pissed on the carpet, she treated some areas but could still smell piss in the room

I searched with a LED urine light and in the areas she treated there was no stain that would show up with the urine light but found other urine spots

I treated them with bac out with the urine light on and pointed at the stains, I couldn't believe as I watched the stains disappeared under the LED light

note; if owner says they have pet pad, the urine and anything you saturate the area with travels great lenghts under the carpet

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The jury is still out.

Indications are that its still not as good as nylon, and may have the same oil loving tendecies as polyester.

Probably better than olefin, though.

Yes, I'm "damning with faint praise".

TimP

They are selling it on the polyester characteristics and over selling those features. What they say is BS in my opinion. But I haven't tried to stain some and see if their claims are true.

I still don't think they are saying it's stain proof.....

And if by saying it's not designed to be cleaned......then that's saying it's designed to be replaced often.

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
Is this the corn cob carpet??

I cleand it once

Some realllly picky ol boy said ur boyfriends from all the other companies in town can't get it all clean...Lots of traffic pattern and his wife walks heavy with a rolling walker. LOTS of spills...

Only like a year and a half old THOUgh!!....

So I Pre-agitated with VS and Rinsed. I think pretty much alllll spots came out. They were coffee drinkers too. I thought there was some dinginess in traffic but he was aroused at the carpet just like I am with 02.

He never called back and I GUarantee he would have with any wick backs or anything. He said if it dries good you'll be a miracle worker

Priase God for VON SCHRADER pre-agi. Ha!!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I predict its still gonna suck, polyester already has really good stain resist properties as it is, there really isn't a whole lot that can stain it, its also much more resistant to bleaches, the problem with it is not its ability to repel stains, it does that already and always has, the problem is the fibers all fall over in one direction or the other and trap dirt on one side of the fibers, its a tuff problem as I don't care how much power your truckmount has it still will not lift the fibers and fluff them like you can on a nylon, this lifting and fluffing is what what makes the fibers stand up and makes it release the soil from the fibers. The mills and mill reps are pretty much insane and oblivious to the problems with polyester, I have had mill look me dead in the eye and tell me an olefin glue down is way better than a nylon glue down carpet. they don't see this stuff everyday after its put down, all they see is a carpet that looks just as good next to the nylon samples. if they can solve the problems with it all crushing over one way then they have something, but I don't see that happening, one thing I have always wondered is why they never use polyesters in loop type carpets, since polyester is kinda in between nylon and olefin for wear ability, I wonder how it would perform in a loop carpet especially in a low loop commerical carpet,

polyester is awesome in clothing, I make sure my work pants and work shirts are made with polyester, they dry quickly, stains don't soak in, they wash up good, and never need to be ironed. I think that is where they should stick with poly on

Mikey P

Administrator
If the salesmen start tell folks to never have it Professionally Cleaned, their gonna be buying some carpet back in five or ten years down the road.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I have cleaned quite a bit of it in the last year (some installed in 2006) and am very impressed with it. I am recommending it to my customers with kids.

I know the Shaw reps are quite concerned about it's success.

Rex Tyus

Mikey P said:
If the salesmen start tell folks to never have it Professionally Cleaned, their gonna be buying some carpet back in five or ten years down the road.

An apartment complex I service recently installed in one of their units. The salesmen said all you need is water but you could use bleach. They make these claims and we have to explain when they are wrong as the salesmen is always someone new. I couldn't find anywhere on the brochure it was solution dyed.

I should start seeing this stuff in their turnovers in 6 to 12 months. If it survives this place, it is good stuff. I will let you guys know.

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
The guy I cleaned it for had it cleaned like 3-4 times over 2 years..

klewis4

The ones we've done have been in good shape and have good stain resistance. They appear to hold up much better than other polyesters. Only issue is customers have often been told by salesman not to have Scotchguard/Teflon applied to it (Dupont actually makes the fiber used in SmartStrand.....wrote to them and they said they recommend having Teflon applied...ofcourse). I have actually recommended SmartStrand to customers who seem to have a problem with lots of spills. It does appear to be very stain resistent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom