Mold Inhibitors

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Living in a tropical environment where the average temp is between 30 & 38c for about ten months of the year, and an average rH above 70%, this provides an ideal environment for mould spores to grow.

We have the right temperatures and plenty of moisture in the air.

As it is tropical, the area is also heavily forested, even in most of the suburbs, especially the older suburbs.

Add to the fact that mould spores thrive on protein, leather does not stand much of a chance up here, down under.

These last five years, we have had exceptionally long wet seasons with an influx of mould problems, even on microfibre fabric furniture, as well as all leather types.

Now the question:

Is there a product on the market that will effectively stop mould spores forming & growing on A, S.A., P & N type leathers in hot, humid climates.??

Apart from Concrobium........................

Maybe someone in Florida or the gulf states of Louisiana or Texas can help.

Ta,

:yoda:

PS::: Maybe the guy that coined this phrase can help me out here, as I think he may remember a bit about what my backyard is like:::

"I used to Smoke Dope and Airbrush Naked Chicks on Vans in the 70's. You think I would have what it takes to do Leather work?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Shorty ask Jim Pemberton or Scott Warrington about Bactibarrier and see if it can be used on leather. As far as a product it would be perfect for your situation, I'm just not sure if it can be used on leather. The Bactibarrier residual would continue to work at fighting mold compared to sprays that are a one time shot.

http://www.bactibarrier.com/

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Excellent and timely subject. Thanks for the link Richard.

1. How well does it work on porous material (cloth).
  2. How long does it last.
  3. Any side effects on fabric, change in hand, dyes, re-soiling?
  4. What if in addition to the fabric, the filling material has mold and is an environment that supports mold, will it help there? How do you get it there?
  5. Who's using it and how well has it worked so far?
  6. How well does it penetrate and work with fabric that have already been tefloned?

Last edited:
Reactions: Shorty

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks Richard, I found this after reading your post & doing a search::

What are some common uses for the BactiBarrier system?
Common Surfaces - Chairs, desks, counter tops, door handles, common contact surfaces, bathroom surfaces, toilets, sinks, and kitchen surfaces.
Building Materials and Components - Wooden building materials, engineered lumber, plywood, flake board, oriented strand board, particle board, fibre board, sheathing, decking or planking, wall board, vinyl siding, plastic siding, wood siding, concrete and concrete products, cinder blocks, brick, stone, ceiling tiles, architectural metal, louvers, vents, coping.
Roofing Materials - Wood shingles, composite shingles, asphalt shingles, roofing granules, tiles, membranes, underlayment, wood shakes, felt, stone, concrete, asphalt coating, synthetic coating.
Insulation Materials - Cellulose insulation, fiberglass insulation, panel insulation, rigid foam, expanded foam, moisture and wind fabric barriers.
General Use Materials - Vinyl, plastic, wood, laminate, concrete, tile, stone, wallboard, gypsum board, plaster, EIFS wall systems, fiberglass, synthetic stucco, cinder block, brick, siding, wall paper and wall coverings, carpet, underlayment, mats.
Fabric Materials - Acetates, acrylics, cotton, fiberglass, nylon, lycra, polyester, polyethylene, polyolefin's, polypropylene, rayon, spandex, vinyl, wool, orlon, silk, natural down, and blends of these fibres.

NO mention of leathers. :cry:

12:50am, fart sack time, g'morning. :yawn:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
  • How well does it work on porous material (cloth).
  • How long does it last.
  • Any side effects on fabric, change in hand, dyes, re-soiling?
  • What if the filling material has mold and is an environment that supports mold, will it help there? How do you get it there?
  • Who's using it and how well has it worked so far?
Mr helper you sure ask a lot of questions. I'm no pro at the product so for definitive answers we will need Jim, Scott or Shawn.

1) Very well, its been applied to clothing and socks for microbial activity to control odor.
2) I believe it depends on what you're applying it and the conditions, but 6-months to several years.
3) Once cured only if one were to over apply the product
4) Its going to help but I think you'll want to first use the disinfectant before you apply the protectant.
5) Large corporations have for decades. Its been around this industry before as Sylguard its a very effective product

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ruff
Name
Shawn Forsythe
3-(trihydroxysilyl) propyldimethyloctadecyl ammonium chloride is the active component of Bactibarrier. This same active, sold in it's component state is known to be effective on Leather, specifically. However, as Shorty alluded, the manufacture of Bactibarrier themselves, do not specifically mention "leather" (on the actual product label), but do list more generic terms for various porous surfaces, including "upholstery" and "furniture", both which reasonably may include leather, as it is not excluded. As such, it is reasonable to conclude the product would be effective.

Marty Translation: It should reasonably work.

edit: As Richard said, you want to start with a "clean" surface, devoid of the target microbial. That may be the greater challenge.

Last edited:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I hear good reports of Bactibarrier inhibiting mould (or mold) on upholstery including leather. This is not something I have personally tested it on. Maybe worth the time and effort to try it out on a few different types of leather.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
It has been said that it should work.

But on what types of leather??

A product that works on a finished leather may damage an unfinished leather such as Aniline or Suede/Nubuck type leathers.

Or not work at all.

Thank you for your replies so far Gentlemen.

PS::: Can someone advise if it would work on a leather jacket made from................. (dare I say it?? )................... pigskin ?? :pig:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
PS::: Can someone advise if it would work on a leather jacket made from................. (dare I say it?? )................... pigskin ?? :pig:
That would be a good test. Jackets hang in dark closets with no air movement. Add humid air and the jacket as a food source and you have a Mold/Mould project going on.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Richard, here's a AU$3,500.00 Armani that we resurrected.

IMGP0835.jpg

IMGP0836.jpg

IMGP0843.jpg

This Lady owned a group of dental surgeries and simply said, "If you can't save it, chuck it in the bin"

She has since referred over 20 customers to us, all good paying ones for Oscar Ash.:winky:

Sometime they pay by check made out to my accountant, C.Ash. :winky:

We do get a lot of mo(u)ldy leather clothing as well as furniture.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Back
Top Bottom