Monkey Pads versus Polishing Powders

Gary T

Nerd, what pads are you using that you need all those steps? Lets assume flat floor. With MBs pads 200, 800, MB12, pop on most marbles with great depth and clarity.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Damn Albert thats a nice setup you got going on there...

I am going to use my 2 yr old HTC diamond pads on my garage here in the next little while...

I am going to video it so i may need help posting a vid

brzelt

Name
Bruce Zelt
Albert,

You will never get the clarity you are looking for going from a honing powder back to a polish.

On a floor if you go low like a 100 resin to start, you will want to follow up with 200 then you can skip
straight to 800 if you are on a lighter marble or travertine. The darker marbles you have to do 400 and
probably go on up to 1800 at least then go to the paste/powder

I hope that made sense.

Bruce

Tile Nerd

Gary T said:
Nerd, what pads are you using that you need all those steps? Lets assume flat floor. With MBs pads 200, 800, MB12, pop on most marbles with great depth and clarity.

I'm using spirals, I've just never skipped steps.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I didn't know MB made a diamond encrusted pad. What was done to the floor in your picture? How low did you start and what steps did you use?

I meant to say diamond pads. That pic is from one of the first times I worked on the floor, from metals to the 800 grit if I remember right.

Looks like everyone does things a bit diferent. I had called MB and told him I wanted 4 grits only. He recommended 100,200,400and 800. I don't think I've used the 200's yet but I will definitely keep you guy's expertise in mind as I am just a hack :lol:

This post for me was to try and find an alternative to doing a full restoration withouut causing frames. I've tested the honing powders with similiar results (loss of clarity) before but I thought I'd try it again.

That's where it appears that the mp's come in. The lady doesn't want to pay for a full restoration. You come in and make it better. No worries about picture frames because the mp's don't seem to bite enough into the stone to make it dull. Is it the equivalent to bonnet cleaning a pissed saturated carpet?. :lol: I've only seen them in action once so I can't make an informed decision other then they didn't really do much with an op on that particular stone. Anyone try them with a 300 rpm or cimex and plenty of water?. If it doesn't peel it may do a better job then the 175. They may also have a place with green marble and other dolomitic types since they don't peel easy.

QUESTION FOR THE MF ATTENDEES, HOW WAS THE CLARITY?

Albert

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
with out having something to match it exactly to, and from my few times of doing marble...

EHHHHHHHHH

seemed to me it needed a enhancer to make it pop better...but thats me

Tile Nerd

Albert Lazo said:
I didn't know MB made a diamond encrusted pad. What was done to the floor in your picture? How low did you start and what steps did you use?

I meant to say diamond pads. That pic is from one of the first times I worked on the floor, from metals to the 800 grit if I remember right.

Looks like everyone does things a bit diferent. I had called MB and told him I wanted 4 grits only. He recommended 100,200,400and 800. I don't think I've used the 200's yet but I will definitely keep you guy's expertise in mind as I am just a hack :lol:

This post for me was to try and find an alternative to doing a full restoration withouut causing frames. I've tested the honing powders with similiar results (loss of clarity) before but I thought I'd try it again.

That's where it appears that the mp's come in. The lady doesn't want to pay for a full restoration. You come in and make it better. No worries about picture frames because the mp's don't seem to bite enough into the stone to make it dull. Is it the equivalent to bonnet cleaning a pissed saturated carpet?. :lol: I've only seen them in action once so I can't make an informed decision other then they didn't really do much with an op on that particular stone. Anyone try them with a 300 rpm or cimex and plenty of water?. If it doesn't peel it may do a better job then the 175. They may also have a place with green marble and other dolomitic types since they don't peel easy.

QUESTION FOR THE MF ATTENDEES, HOW WAS THE CLARITY?

Albert

From reading your posts and seeing your pictures, you need to stop referring to yourself as a hack because you are far from it. What did MB say about the diamond and polishing powder steps? Are you following his recommendation?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Are you following his recommendation?

Yeah pretty much. Without metals going 100,400,800 does most of them. If it's something that peels easy such as some botticino (sp.) then going up to 3000 and hitting it fast with the polish. Some greens and dolomitic ones would benefit from a higher grit as well.

With that said there are some that go all the way to 3000 as yourself. Karen (forgot last name) does a lot of stone work and seems to do the same. Stellar work.

Albert

Tile Nerd

Albert Lazo said:
Are you following his recommendation?

Yeah pretty much. Without metals going 100,400,800 does most of them. If it's something that peels easy such as some botticino (sp.) then going up to 3000 and hitting it fast with the polish. Some greens and dolomitic ones would benefit from a higher grit as well.

With that said there are some that go all the way to 3000 as yourself. Karen (forgot last name) does a lot of stone work and seems to do the same. Stellar work.

Albert

Are you really finding them flat enough to skip metal steps. I never knew MB was recommending skipping 200 and powder polishing after 800.

I believe you are thinking of Karen Church.

brzelt

Name
Bruce Zelt
MB never talked about skipping metal steps, but you can go straight from 200-800 resin on a lot of marbles.

Plus he always taught us to polish after 800 if you are getting the right clarity Wayne. Some marbles you
will have to take the diamonds higher before polish though, like Albert said the greens and blacks etc..

C

clean image

so, has anyone used mp on a planetary set-up?

if it works better with resins, why not mp's.

bruce, did you test on mono or your planetary?
the heavier weight may crush quickly

has anyone tested twisters vs mp's

i have both set ups, but, you know, finding time to accurately test is another thing

ErikG

What Are you guys using for corners and around columns and stairs, Also what arfe you chargeing 5.00 a sq ft,

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ErikG said:
What Are you guys using for corners and around columns and stairs, Also what arfe you chargeing 5.00 a sq ft,

For what ???
hopfu0lly not just to run them little pads on the floor..

$5 a ft is getting close to flatten money

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom