more Boxxer 427 engine woes

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
HI Guys:

A friend who owns many Truckmounts has asked my help to organize his equipment. Some are the dreadful Boxxer 427’s. One that I looked at has “low hours” on it-they said key was stuck on, and the head has coolant coming out the back. I understand this is the common problem for these engines and I am suggesting that he not try to repair it and instead go back to the Dealer that he bought it from, and see what they can do for him.

However, in case the Dealer won’t do anything because of the hour problem, can anyone tell me the model of the so-called “switch over motor” for it?

Sincerely,
Dale

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
The plug and play 31hp motor will run about $3500 plus labor, Hydramaster part number 078-577. It's a pretty solid machine once it has the new engine.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Chris:

I can believe with that motor it will be pretty solid-but with an air cooled engine and no exhaust heat exchanger to begin with- that only leaves blower exhaust. Does anybody really clean with only blower exhaust?

Sincerely,
Dale

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
It will still perform admirably with just the one heat exchanger. It won't hit the 230 -240 degree heat it had but will still hit 215- 220 no problem

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
I agree-this is a good argument for PTO's. However I have an engine distributor helping me with a replacement (if Hydrmaster does'nt) -and I'll get a liquid cooled motor to replace it-for less, just more adaptions. This reminds me of the good ole days-when I used to get greasy!

Sincerely,
Dale

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom