More Cross American pics of superior engineering and truth

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Now as everyone already knows I took my vac booster off of a shelf and it had fallen apart. Again, I don't want it repaired, money back, apology, I don't want anything. When I brought this to the attention of the owner of the company he didn't want to go over it he just said "I never sold anything to Greg Crowley from Marshfield" then when confronted he said
I just looked your name up in our serial number file and see that you purchased your POWER BOOSTER
then he said "it isn't my booster" when I posted the pics he called me crazy(which may or may not be true), kept insulting me and said the only reason it failed was because it had heavy use over the last 5 years. I stated it was used 5 times and put on a shelf.

I would like to do a poll or atleast have people chime in on who is telling the truth
me with my statement it was barely used and fell apart because of shoddy workmanship and he should be ashamed of the products he peddles or
Ed saying the only reason it failed was heavy use
I have pics to prove my point and as well as some superior engineering. I would worn anyone from purchasing from him unless he opens up and shows off the insides
Lets start with superior engineering
The styrofoam was used to hold the vac motor in position
the plastic was to hold the other end of the vac motor in place
012-1.jpg

Nice work on the vac seal
004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

held together with paint
DSCN0140.jpg

This pic is the UPC code from the hardware store he bought the part from
003.jpg

This is the baicly unused hose connector. There is dust on it from being in storage, I should've bagged it.professionals know how much wear would be on this
001-1.jpg

here is the exhaust in pristine brand new condition
008-3.jpg

tape still on the wheels
009-3.jpg

the tape came off this wheel when I took it apart
010-2.jpg

look at how clean the rotating wheel is
011-1.jpg

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: More Cross American pics of superior engineering and tru

"Now as everyone already knows I took my vac booster off of a shelf and it had fallen apart."

Why on earth would anyone know?

Greg- I can't really comment on this issue, but I would imasagine if something was used a few times then sat for 5 years on a shelf it may not function well after that long. What are you trying to accomplish in this thread exactly?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

Uh oh. Now you did it Ken. Don't you know Crowley is never wrong? You can expect a phone call.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

there was another thread earlier Ken that is why I thought people were aware it had like 1100 views and over 50 responses.

The only reason is because I mentioned what had happened and the owner of Cross American said he never sold me one and that it wasn't his product until I showed pictures. Again I don't want anything but I do love to defend myself when someone lies.

You are of the position that it should just fall apart on a shelf, it completely fell apart inside and when I opened it up I learned because it was never really professionally put togther.

I bought it and I want to warn other people be very careful and do your research there are to many negative stories about this supplier shilling junk. I am not bitter or mad or anything if this were in fine working condition and didn't fall apart I still wouldn't be using it so no skin off my nose he called me a liar and said it fell apart from overuse so I wanted to prove that theory wrong.

Art: listen stumpy I have been too busy to call anyone. Over 85,000sq ft of carpet plus residential and furniture this week. Over $23,000 (which is a decent hour for Ken) :lol: :lol:

Name
John LaBarbera

Back in the mid seventies when my father and I owned Carpet Jenny we would epoxy a metal adapter to the face of the vacuum like CA does. We also would rivet it (that helped but one had to be very careful when doing that). If you use the vacs with the epoxy coated housing, then the paint on the face had to be ground off for the epoxy adhesive to adhere.

After a few year we stopped doing that. Here was the problem as we saw it. Most guys in the field can't replace a motor with just using one on the shelf. It would have to be preped and than the next day installed. Big waste of time, and the epoxy is expensive and hard to find for a PCC who really doesn't want to be bothered with a matter like this. We started to design and build vacuum manifolds that allowed for a vac freah off the shelf to be installed in less than 20 minutes. The manifold also secures the vac motor better than hose clamps. Really, that nozzle should not have broke off from just sitting.

I think the aggrevating issue for Greg (and I would feel the same way if I was in his shoes) is for a manufacturer to denie the obvious. I think it is better to own up to the mistakes made and correct them to the best of our ability. We as manufacturers are not infailably and a PCC is not alwats wrong. In most cases, infact, they are right and we can learn something or at least improve our product if we would just listen, and that's a benefit to us in the end.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

I am not aggravated John, I think it was funny opening it and seeing the whole set up. One clamp and a piece of styrofoam for leveling the vac was hilarious

S

sam miller

You need a better camera to blurry I'm blind as is but thats hard to look at. My Dad manufactured carpet cleaning equipment for years

A servasteam with a fiberglass housing and a metal horn on the 3 stage vacs. vacs go out now and then but never fall off.

Still the new design and power of todays portables are amazing,

Name
John LaBarbera

sam miller said:
You need a better camera to blurry I'm blind as is but thats hard to look at. My Dad manufactured carpet cleaning equipment for years

A servasteam with a fiberglass housing and a metal horn on the 3 stage vacs. vacs go out now and then but never fall off.

I knew Bob Miller in Colorado Springs. He must be your uncle. I remember the Service Steam Machines along with Harry Caples and Roger (Ithink Roger Roberts, it's been a long time) who also built machines in the 70's in the San Fernando Valley. I grew up there and moved to Colo in '78.

Brett

John LaBarbera said:
Back in the mid seventies when my father and I owned Carpet Jenny we would epoxy a metal adapter to the face of the vacuum like CA does. We also would rivet it (that helped but one had to be very careful when doing that). If you use the vacs with the epoxy coated housing, then the paint on the face had to be ground off for the epoxy adhesive to adhere.

After a few year we stopped doing that. Here was the problem as we saw it. Most guys in the field can't replace a motor with just using one on the shelf. It would have to be preped and than the next day installed. Big waste of time, and the epoxy is expensive and hard to find for a PCC who really doesn't want to be bothered with a matter like this. We started to design and build vacuum manifolds that allowed for a vac freah off the shelf to be installed in less than 20 minutes. The manifold also secures the vac motor better than hose clamps. Really, that nozzle should not have broke off from just sitting.

I think the aggrevating issue for Greg (and I would feel the same way if I was in his shoes) is for a manufacturer to denie the obvious. I think it is better to own up to the mistakes made and correct them to the best of our ability. We as manufacturers are not infailably and a PCC is not alwats wrong. In most cases, infact, they are right and we can learn something or at least improve our product if we would just listen, and that's a benefit to us in the end.
If black plastic fitting is off motor, just re-attach by re-gluing fitting only (w/o hose attached) by using an Epoxy Glue that is waterproof, and compatible with metal and plastic. Devcon and/or JB Weld is recommended. Please note that the original glue did not fail; rather, the epoxy paint on vac motor released itself from the metal motor itself. Once re-glued however, it should never again come off. This is straight from my XPS manual from Ed. My XPS also has some screws going thru the plastic fitting into the vac. So far, hasn't been a problem, but I do have to check them once in awhile.

Name
John LaBarbera

Brett said:
John LaBarbera said:

If black plastic fitting is off motor, just re-attach by re-glueing fitting only (w/o hose attached) by using an Epoxy Glue that is waterproof, and compatable with metal and plastic. Devcon and/or JB Weld is recommended. Please note that the original glue did not fail; rather, the epoxy paint on vac motor released itself from the metal motor itself. Once re-glued however, it should never again come off. This is straight from my XPS manual from Ed. My XPS also has some srews going thru the plastic fitting into the vac. So far, hasn't been a problem, but I do have to check them once in awhile.

I guess that means that if the nozzle falls off it is not Ed's fault it a defect from Lamb Ametek's paint dept. But if you modify the motor by glueing a nozzle to the face, Lamb voids the warranty. Too bad Ed just doesn't improve the design. Lamb even makes a motor with a permanent nozzle built on it.(its part of the can itself, but cost a little more) This a lack of engineering at it's worst.

Hey Brett, email me that manual please, I'd like to see it. Thanks.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

See that makes sense Brett but if you look at the pictures in this thread and the other issue was stabilizing the motor with a broken piece of styrofoam and 1 clamp on the edge. You can put that piping back on as much as you want unless the motor has a better method of stabiling your out of luck until you fix the real problem engineering plus you wouldn't have to check your screws all the time.

Look at the cushion tape for the top and bottom comoing together it doesn't even go all the way around. The thing is a joke and it never worked good that is why it went on a shelf. If I knew enough about these things years ago I could have figured out why it had very little suction. It had no suction due to the shoddy work and it went on a shelf to fall apart.

The screws on on one of the wheels wasn't screwed in but half way because they couldn't seen to catch thread.

The main issue is Ed saying it failed from over use, as professonals does it look like that machine has had much use. It was a big help to my operation because I said F it and bought a truckmount. We do currently have one porty with the same set up we had prior to buying the vac booster and not 1 problem.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

$23k would be a decent full day for one of our divisions.

Great job on doing all that work last week Greg!

Bob Foster

Now how's that for a contrast in supplier attitudes? Innovation with humility instead of insecurity with a dash of dishonesty.

This board will acknowledge both in our unique way and God help you if you're a flake of a manufacturer or distributor.

I don't think for a second any of you were too hard on Valentine. And Greg, good of you to endure the questions.

Hopefully someday Willy will sit down and break bread with Greg because I know them both to be good guys. (Go Canuks!)

And Willy, buy a Mytee or a Nordic.

Brett

The front wheels on my xps were just standard wheels, not locking like they were suppose to be. The pre-drilled holes for them were off, so I got out the drill. On mine, the screws are just fine machine thread that go straight into the plastic. They are not thru bolted or have molded in holders like the tanks have. Some of the tank bolt holes were drilled to close to the sides and I couldn't get a socket on them, had to use a wrench for the tiny fine thread screws. I finally got pissed off at them and threw them away. Studs and wing nuts solved that problem. The side drain cap with hose clamp kept sliding off, no matter how much I tightened it, so I replaced it with an internal drain cap with wing nut. Eds shipping box at the time was about as strong as wet cardboard. My axle cap nut was missing from the hole in the bottom of the box when it arrived by Fed Ex. One axle cap nut and two washers were on the truck bed loose. Parts that should have been bagged and taped to the inside of the solution tank. I asked Ed to sell me the plastic thru the body cord holder so that I could add a 3rd cord and he couldn't be bothered. Go to Home Depot and get it is what he told me. I should be able to get any part I want from a Mfg. regardless of how little profit is in it. I went to Home Depot, the part they carried was for romex, not round extension cord. I bought them and had to drill it out on my drill press. Still pissed off about Ed's lack of help. People rave about how great his service is, but others have problems with him.

Mikey P

Administrator

The front wheels on my xps were just standard wheels, not locking like they were suppose to be. The pre-drilled holes for them were off, so I got out the drill. On mine, the screws are just fine machine thread that go straight into the plastic. They are not thru bolted or have molded in holders like the tanks have. Some of the tank bolt holes were drilled to close to the sides and I couldn't get a socket on them, had to use a wrench for the tiny fine thread screws. I finally got pissed off at them and threw them away. Studs and wing nuts solved that problem. The side drain cap with hose clamp kept sliding off, no matter how much I tightened it, so I replaced it with an internal drain cap with wing nut. Eds shipping box at the time was about as strong as wet cardboard. My axle cap nut was missing from the hole in the bottom of the box when it arrived by Fed Ex. One axle cap nut and two washers were on the truck bed loose. Parts that should have been bagged and taped to the inside of the solution tank. I asked Ed to sell me the plastic thru the body cord holder so that I could add a 3rd cord and he couldn't be bothered. Go to Home Depot and get it is what he told me. I should be able to get any part I want from a Mfg. regardless of how little profit is in it. I went to Home Depot, the part they carried was for romex, not round extension cord. I bought them and had to drill it out on my drill press. Still pissed off about Ed's lack of help. People rave about how great his service is, but others have problems with him.

all the same sort of crap I went through.

But because he pretends to be a nice guy, guys like Willy look the other way.

Bob Foster

You know how some names stick for certain infamous individuals, well whad da ya think?

Special Ed

S

sam miller

John LaBarbera said:
[quote="sam miller":28d6tnxr]You need a better camera to blurry I'm blind as is but thats hard to look at. My Dad manufactured carpet cleaning equipment for years

I knew Bob Miller in Colorado Springs. He must be your uncle. I remember the Service Steam Machines along with Harry Caples and Roger (Ithink Roger Roberts, it's been a long time) who also built machines in the 70's in the San Fernando Valley. I grew up there and moved to Colo in '78.[/quote:28d6tnxr]

Ya Bob is My uncle his son rusty is down in Texas cleaning now Bob's retired. But my dad Bill still working Doah. Stopped making machines 6 to 7 years ago. Harry Caples sounds familar have to ask my Dad about that name.

Name
John LaBarbera

Bob Foster said:
You know how some names stick for certain infamous individuals, well whad da ya think?

Special Ed

The "Good Humor" Man with the ice cream cart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom