More on ideas to quiet the Vortex Blower

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I just finished reading the 78 posts concerning the quieting of the Vortex blower and there were really no posted suggestions. The thread was highjacked and never really got back on course.

I used to run the Hat 7000 and only recieved one complaint while doing 3rd shift commercial (meaning the police were called 3 times!) However because of the vac power I was able to move the truck to a not so distant street (turned the blower rpm down a little while the police Oked the noised) and was able to do this job for months.

I now have a 2004 6008 and really I think the sound is about the same maybe even quieter but (I run this blower at 15.5 not 17 as I did the Hat).

My question is, has anyone came up with a way to silence the blower by adding silencers, etc. etc. I will soon be in a situation where this would be "very" advantageous for me. I know that Kevin at Blueline told me that he would be able to silence the beast if that's what people wanted but, apparently that never came to pass.

I have had the pleasure of standing beside a new AeroTech and it is quieter. I don't think so much from the blower and the exhausts but from the sound proofing that was installed in the box. And I would guess about 20-25% quieter than the Hat 7000 or 6008.

Any ideas on ways to quiet the blower exhaust? I would like to look at just this possibility.

P.S. I have had 3 complaints on noise from Sat morning residential jobs, however my wife actually booked a job from one of these complaints!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Billy,

I would call... LESLEY JUDSON JONES... :!:

They have been SILENCING Vac. blowers INSIDE building's for 50 years... :!:

That way you get the best of both worlds....!

He understands the unit & can design the best SOLUTION... :wink:

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Billy, I would like to figure out a way to put a 5" stack on the box of the truck to funnel some of the noise out form under the truck. Someone posted a picture of this setup last year. Over the next few months I think there will be an opportunity to address some of the issues that have never been fully resolved. :wink:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Been working on this for quite sometime..and as much home work as I have done and as many questions I have asked...I am still not 100% sure that it would work......If you look under the truck where the blower mounting plate sits ..one could cut a 6 inch hole in it and take 2...5 inch 45 degree angles and come out of the bottom of the blower and go under the truck between the frame and "Y" to each side of the front of the box and then hang 2...5 inch diesel stacks with mufflers......In my mind..2 stacks with mufflers should help quite it down and point the noise up in the air..not bouncing off the ground....If you do not want to hang them on the out side there is more then enough room on the inside of the box at each front corner to put them inside and exhaust threw the roof.... The "Y" that the diesel trucks run have a diverter down the middle from the base to where the "Y" forks....this should divide the air evenly between both muffler stacks....and prevent any type of back lash from the blower...Total cost to completely do my truck is about $1000.00.......I have been studying this for well over a year now and went and walked threw the materials a few different times..
I have had the blower plate inspected to see if it could handle putting a hole in it.....But there is still something about this that is not sitting right with me and I can't find the answer I need...........
It is my understanding that the one that Ron was talking about did not have a muffler in the stack..he just turned his silencer and piped it under the side of the truck and then straight out...I also understood that it did not really help to quite it down to much....

Another thing to keep in mind.....a good part of the noise is coming from the UD....Use the knob on the dash and kick up the RPM's and with out turning your machine on get out and listen to it...the thing sounds like a cement mixer about to throw a bearing....

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
my big red (4cyl diesel with a roots 59) had dual parallel silencers that exhausted out the top of the truck.
with the doors closed all you could hear the low rumble of the diesel and rush of air out the stack

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey Jim,
Interesting concept. Do you think it would create to much of a backflow issue? I have always read and heard that the concerns were creating to much exhause restriction for the blower.

I'll listen to the UD today without the equip on however I feel that this noise level would be acceptable in my situation, I just need to quite the blower exhaust down.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the blower exhaust is 5 inch.. as long as you stay with the same size..you would be fine...you can not reduce this down anywhere..but I think the only way you are going to get a noticeable difference is to have two........ 5 inch stacks

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
thats where my REd was having its issues then, the guy who put it together initially had the 59's 4" piping reduced to 3", then into split into two silencers and finally out one 3" exhaust port.
Run the 5" air split into 2 parallel 3" or 4" silencers, then out into a 5" exhaust. Sort of like a "4 to the door with twin clearview filters " version of exhaust

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
sounds like a good possibility...blower could of been back lashing..............

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
hope your waste tank does'nt overflow, with the stacks. The back pressure will kill the blower.Ask Vlad?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
first winter I had the truck had a sump pump fail, it was flooding into my apt. I was sucking out the water and not realizing the tank was full, didn't have an auto shut off.
The big blower (a Sutterbilt 5M) was just shooting water out the stack!

Greenie

Billy, it's just noise attenuation.

Bottom line is thicker heavier metal does better to quiet the noise, as does soft sound deading insulation. Add to that SIZE, a larger area slows the airspeed and helps to reduce decibles.

Look at a cheap silencer or muffler, it'll be thin metal and likely contain no soft insulating material.

Look at a very expensive silencer, it's the complete opposit.

So you need to insulate all piping to and from the blower, and use a large area silencer system.

Add to that vibration insulation, there is a good chance you are adding to the problem with your truckbed floor acting like a resonator, and even your box could be adding to this resonation problem.

It'll cost you some money, but I too think Les can help with your truck.

Even bringing 80 dB down to 70 dB is HUGE.

hoser0354

Greenie, My truck bed does that pretty bad. What can be done to the bed to stop that? Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom