Moth Proofing...Yes...No?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Many many years ago we used to buy a clear product from Oklahoma that was used as a moth retardant.

I haven't seen one sold in years, is a moth proof product bad for wool rugs?

Does anyone even make one anymore?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Master Blend does.

I've heard two explanations. One was that it is bitter so they do not want to eat the wool.
The other was that somehow it intervened with their life cycle. Not sure which is correct.
Supposedly, it is non toxic.

Once you wash the rug it needs to be reapplied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
There are two good products available. Both work by making the wool taste bad. The future moths won't eat the wool and they starve. They do not harm the wool.

MasterBlend in Denver and Chem Max (Paul Lucas) in Michigan.

This is the season for moths or it is coming soon, depending where you are located.

I have seen many more rugs damaged by stains than by moths. I think rug owners get more benefit from a quality protector than from moth treatment.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks Scott. I would agree, many more stains that moth damage but we are asked occasionally about moths.

Which do you suggest? Solvent base or water base, do you have a protector preference?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
You can apply both to a rug. And While I've seen a lot of stains on rugs. the damage done by a moth is alot more expensive and more prevalent than you think.

As far as protetctors are concerned, we like water based for most washable rugs as you can apply it as its going into the drying room. If its a silk or something that you had to take care not to bleed a solvent based protector like masterblend's ultimate UV is our choice. Just have to be careful you don't change the hand of the silk pile with the protector.

Last edited:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
http://www.masterblend.net/component/k2/item/23-repel-wool-fiber-protector

These are the instructions. If we are treating it with both, I personally like to do the moth treatment after the final rinse and then dry the rug and then apply the protector to the dry rug. Concept of the filo. first in last out. if the rug is clean and just wet then the repel will bond with the wool, souring it for moths. Then when dry the protector can be applied and it will coat the exterior of the fibers to give it the protection. Certain mills like Karastan do their moth treatments when they spin and dye the wool. They apply their protctor during the finishing, where a rug is final sheared, luster washed, neutralized, rinsed and bathed in protector before its dried.

Reactions: J Scott W

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Proofing no, but an anti-moth treatment yes. Wool can be easily treated during initial processing to make it permanently moth proof (look for the woolmark label in your clothing) but it seems the people that make hand-knotted rugs don't bother.

Sure there are more rugs that come in every day with staining damage than moth damage, but we see at least one moth damaged rug every day. We sell a stain protectant on about 65% of the rugs we clean and sell moth treatment on every rug that has insect damage. We even include an application of moth treatment in the price of wrapping a wool rug for storage.

Name
Nate W.
Living in Hawaii it's moth season year around.... We do not have winters and moths just don't die on there own... We see it a lot here... We use MasterBlend's Repel... I was going to start including it as a value added service... I feel bad for people who are just unaware of the damages they can cause... A lot of the beautiful and nice rugs have housekeepers who don't vacuum under beds or low hanging furniture...

I figure it's cost is peanuts... I'd rather upsell the protector and just include the Repel in the cleaning price... Because face it, most people don't want to move that dresser or couch at least once a month...

hogjowl

Idiotā„¢
Every time I hear anything about moths I think about years ago when the old people would bring their wool coats out of storage and come to church smelling like moth balls.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Thanks Scott. I would agree, many more stains that moth damage but we are asked occasionally about moths.

Which do you suggest? Solvent base or water base, do you have a protector preference?

Protector for wool. It has the right pH, 5.2. It has twice the acid dye blockers of protectors for nylon because wool has twice as many dye sites and is so absorbent. This protector also has proper surfactancy to penetrate a thick pile.
Maxim for Wool - http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CP10GL

Too closr to being a pesticide application. Not being a licensed pestcide applicator, I would dare go down that road. This area is law suite crazy.

Name
Nate W.
Too closr to being a pesticide application. Not being a licensed pestcide applicator, I would dare go down that road. This area is law suite crazy.

It doesn't kill the moths... It denatures the wool souring it, which makes it not tasty for the moths to eat....Thus them moving on to a different source of food...

Reactions: J Scott W

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom