Moving to NYC area. Need lots of input.

A

amazingcleansc

My fiance and I are moving from SC to the Big Apple. She's an aspiring opera singer and just got accepted into the Manhattan School of Music.

I need some help from anyone from that area. We need to know:

Where is a good, reasonably priced place to live (her and me and 2 little dogs)
How should I market my business?
In a REALLY populated area like NY, would I have to use a portable for everything downtown?
If you needed to move into a new market, what would you do?
Have any of you made a big move and found success relatively quickly?
Do any of you own a business in the NYC area?
I would like to talk to anyone who thinks they can point me in the right direction, please PM me.

harryhides

Name
Tony
hogjowl said:
I sure hope you don't talk like me and Fensterfocker, or you're screwed.

Not in Staten Island, the way those guys talk make you two sound like BBC reporters.

There's lots of districts with houses all around Manhattan where it is Porty only if you can find a parking spot.

A

amazingcleansc

hogjowl said:
I sure hope you don't talk like me and Fensterfocker, or you're screwed.

windowmaker has a thicker accent than me, but i do say y'all.

cmon! i need to know how I'm going to swing this thing.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I think Billy lives in Kentucky, and the last time I talked to him he had only one, but was thinking of maybe purchasing another soon.

Knowing him, he already has three and is opening up another operation next week in some other town.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I think Hogjowl temporarily had me confused with Billy Hicks. Hicks is out of Nashville I believe and has one AT the one at Mikeys show. I only have one V also and am located now in Lex. KY

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
First thing to remember about NYC, is that it consist of 5 boroughs. When most people not familiar with NY visualize NY, they tend to visualize specifically Manhattan, which is very different than the outer boroughs. Manhattan itself is it's own world. Manhattan itself is very expensive, and parking any type of vehicle, none the less a Vortex there, may be impractical. The outer boroughs are where you would want to look into. Most likely your wife will have to commit to commuting everyday, and not by car. Taking a vehicle into Manhattan is an adventure unless you have the finances to pay outrageous daily parking rates and time to kill. Other than a car, you must rely on the NYC subway, Metro North Railroads, and or Manhattan express buses. I see that The school is on the upper west side, which might mean it would be easier to come into Manhattan by coming down the West Side Highway/Henry Hudson Pkwy, as opposed to coming across a very congested upper Manhattan and west Bronx. This would mean you may want to start your search in areas such as Riverdale, and Yonkers, which would be the easiest accessible "suburbs". You going to bring the vortex? You will have to rent or buy a house to keep that beast.

green guy

stupid move "found success relatively quickly" get your head out of your but. Dont go if you are not rich its an armpit dummy!!

A

amazingcleansc

goomes said:
First thing to remember about NYC, is that it consist of 5 boroughs. When most people not familiar with NY visualize NY, they tend to visualize specifically Manhattan, which is very different than the outer boroughs. Manhattan itself is it's own world. Manhattan itself is very expensive, and parking any type of vehicle, none the less a Vortex there, may be impractical. The outer boroughs are where you would want to look into. Most likely your wife will have to commit to commuting everyday, and not by car. Taking a vehicle into Manhattan is an adventure unless you have the finances to pay outrageous daily parking rates and time to kill. Other than a car, you must rely on the NYC subway, Metro North Railroads, and or Manhattan express buses. I see that The school is on the upper west side, which might mean it would be easier to come into Manhattan by coming down the West Side Highway/Henry Hudson Pkwy, as opposed to coming across a very congested upper Manhattan and west Bronx. This would mean you may want to start your search in areas such as Riverdale, and Yonkers, which would be the easiest accessible "suburbs". You going to bring the vortex? You will have to rent or buy a house to keep that beast.

Actually, does anyone in NYC have truck mounted equipment?

bonesheal

I don't see how anyone could even bring a portable into Manhattan without having someone else in the van to drive around. There's nowhere to park. You'll check all the roads in a mile radius before you find a parking space. Then it won't be clear if it's legal.

I don't know about the other boroughs, but transportation into the city is excellent and you could work an outlying area while your fiance commuted into the city.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Hmmm, well, you asked.

The training lasts how long? The likelyhood of getting even a minor role as a professional after training is? The chance that she would (if successful at getting a minor role) get her first professional gig in New York? Is it possible to let her go on her own? Do you have to sell your business and follow?

I'll make the leap that you aren't crazy kids that have seen Fame too many times and are aware of all this. Given that she's so good that life in on stage is guaranteed, she will likely be moving around the country, and maybe the world. If you're going to follow her you'd be better off just selling your stuff and getting a job with a job that will pay you enough to make a living.

Unless you both just want to live in New York no matter what, and even then it probably makes sense to work for someone else until you understand the way of business in the big city.

PS: I have a daughter that is an accomplished soprano, but at 19 knows that a "young" soprano (that opera companies really don't hire) is someone under 30. She's going to get a degree in English along with the music degree so she can work until she can make a living from her voice... or if she's one of the bazillion that doesn't become a star. One of the people in her class is a woman that has already had roles on Broadway, but realized quickly that the most talented aren't always the ones that get the part. She's back to get a degree to make sure she can do something else if roles dry up.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
amazingcleansc said:
Actually, does anyone in NYC have truck mounted equipment?
I have seen several slide-ins running around in The Bronx, and I'm sure there are more. Although most think of NYC as consisting only of tall buildings, it is not the case. It may be true on the island of Manhattan, but each outer borough (Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island) are all very different from each other. All contain a mix of Residential buildings , as well as private homes. I can't see a truckmount ONLY operation trying to start from scratch here. I'm just starting out and would not be able to pass up too many jobs due to them being walk-ups, or elevator buildings. There are too many of them, I think it would be foolish to pass on them due to not having a porty. Maybe when I am established better, I can be more selective, but now I will have to capitalize on as many jobs that come my way. That is why I am starting with a "poor man"s modular electric truckmount", which will consist of a M-5 porty, boosters, a little giant, and a generator. I think the key here initially will be the versatility of my set up, so i can take advantage of the greatest amount of jobs, with the least investment.

bonesheal said:
I don't see how anyone could even bring a portable into Manhattan without having someone else in the van to drive around. There's nowhere to park. You'll check all the roads in a mile radius before you find a parking space. Then it won't be clear if it's legal.

I don't know about the other boroughs, but transportation into the city is excellent and you could work an outlying area while your fiance commuted into the city.

True, I highly doubt that there is anyone servicing Manhattan, that actually lives in Manhattan. It's more get in and get out, from the other boroughs. Commercial plates are also a necessity for added parking benefit. Having someone to remain with the van is maybe a better idea to avoid 200 parking tickets, and help with the porty set-up.

A

amazingcleansc

The Great Oz said:
Hmmm, well, you asked.

The training lasts how long? The likelyhood of getting even a minor role as a professional after training is? The chance that she would (if successful at getting a minor role) get her first professional gig in New York? Is it possible to let her go on her own? Do you have to sell your business and follow?

I'll make the leap that you aren't crazy kids that have seen Fame too many times and are aware of all this. Given that she's so good that life in on stage is guaranteed, she will likely be moving around the country, and maybe the world. If you're going to follow her you'd be better off just selling your stuff and getting a job with a job that will pay you enough to make a living.

Unless you both just want to live in New York no matter what, and even then it probably makes sense to work for someone else until you understand the way of business in the big city.

PS: I have a daughter that is an accomplished soprano, but at 19 knows that a "young" soprano (that opera companies really don't hire) is someone under 30. She's going to get a degree in English along with the music degree so she can work until she can make a living from her voice... or if she's one of the bazillion that doesn't become a star. One of the people in her class is a woman that has already had roles on Broadway, but realized quickly that the most talented aren't always the ones that get the part. She's back to get a degree to make sure she can do something else if roles dry up.

shes going to new york to study with Ashley Putnam at Manhattan, not make it on broadway. 2 years and she gets her masters.

I was thinking about doing this:

Getting a good website, a King Cobra 1200, a floor scrubber and living off of Service Magic Refs.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
amazingcleansc said:
I was thinking about doing this:
Getting a good website, a King Cobra 1200, a floor scrubber and living off of Service Magic Refs.

A website, a King Cobra, and a floor scrubber?
That's really your plan?
Shooting for the stars aren't ya?
Seems your wife has all the brains. shiteatinggrin

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
So you're going to be staying in the NY area after graduation? Establishing a new business makes sense then.

Good luck!

blaisesdaddy

I used to clean in and around mid-town when I started almost 20 years ago. It was a nightmare then, and has only gotten worse. There is no way, and I mean no way you will be able to use a vortex in the city, much less any of the boro's. Parking is nearly impossible and stupid expensive. Even cleaning with a portable is tough. Hell, just getting around the city during the daytime hours is a bitch. You should look at living in Northern New Jersey. It's less expensive that New York. Your girl can commute into the city on NJ Transit. There is tons of work and opportunity everywhere you turn 'cause there are so many freaking people in that part of the world. You can easily use your vortex all throughout New Jersey. I lived in Belleville and Montclair while I was living up there (20min. from Giant Stadium). They both were great locations. There were some nice areas to live in and some not so nice areas - just like anywhere else. Driving into Manhattan during the day is a major pain in the ass. You will be lucky to get 2 jobs done each day because of all the time you will spend in traffic. good luck.

A

amazingcleansc

blaisesdaddy said:
I used to clean in and around mid-town when I started almost 20 years ago. It was a nightmare then, and has only gotten worse. There is no way, and I mean no way you will be able to use a vortex in the city, much less any of the boro's. Parking is nearly impossible and stupid expensive. Even cleaning with a portable is tough. Hell, just getting around the city during the daytime hours is a bitch. You should look at living in Northern New Jersey. It's less expensive that New York. Your girl can commute into the city on NJ Transit. There is tons of work and opportunity everywhere you turn 'cause there are so many freaking people in that part of the world. You can easily use your vortex all throughout New Jersey. I lived in Belleville and Montclair while I was living up there (20min. from Giant Stadium). They both were great locations. There were some nice areas to live in and some not so nice areas - just like anywhere else. Driving into Manhattan during the day is a major pain in the ass. You will be lucky to get 2 jobs done each day because of all the time you will spend in traffic. good luck.

Thanks for all that advice. I was actually pretty much only considering North Jersey. We are going up there next weekend to take a look around.

Moser Bros.

I'm thinking of going to school in Manhattan, anyone need a helper, I've been the industry for 13 years and have had my business for 5. Even Stanley is slow here in Sacramento and I have no interest in starting a company in New York.

C

cucu

if your going to a new place and dont know your way around , dont know many people there ,dont know the good side of town from the bad

GET A JOB work for someone and let them pay you while you learn your way around

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom