Mr Larry Cobb.........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Totally by accident Tia ordered a pail of your powermax pre-spray.....it sat in the garage for about 2 months and I totally forgot about the stuff........the intention was to send it back....but I seen it yesterday and pitched it up in the truck and figured I would give it a shot..........Had a big day today and I worked my ass off...the stuff in this pail..kicked ass.....brought back some good memories of how your stuff use to be.......
so my question is..........did you wise up and finally change it back to how it was.......did you do something else to the screwed up mix to make it better...........or am I just the lucky S.O.B that got the pail of the good stuff someone found tucked in a dark corner some where with a years worth the dust that had to be washed off before you could ship it.....

I ask so I can plan who I am going to order my next shipment of pre-spray from.........?????????

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Could it be that it was the same all along and the grass is always greener? I stopped using Powermax after taking some PH readings. I was lead to believe it was stain resistant safe and was comparing it to other presprays with a PH of 10. It turns out that that the PH of the stuff is crazy high. When I asked Cobbs about it he said PH of up to 12 is okay for stain resistant carpet and that CRI standards are wrong :roll: .

ACE said:
Could it be that it was the same all along and the grass is always greener? I stopped using Powermax after taking some PH readings. I was lead to believe it was stain resistant safe and was comparing it to other presprays with a PH of 10. It turns out that that the PH of the stuff is crazy high. When I asked Cobbs about it he said PH of up to 12 is okay for stain resistant carpet and that CRI standards are wrong :roll: .

Dont be scared of PH!!!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ACE said:

no.....it was the best stuff out there and then it went down hill really fast....it took a bit but then others started finding the same problems that I was having.....It took Larry a bit to admit that there was a change..but never the less it just stopped working....to be honest..I never play the PH game......It's not really what you put down that matters..its more what you leave behind that will bite you in the ass.......I was using Cobbs stuff for years and never ever hurt any type of carpet or had problems ..till he changed everything..........

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i was gonna say that to......

now with that in mind...i wouldnt go throwing purple power out on a house either

Jim,
Have you ever tried magic wands grease eater? I don't know if it's as good as Cobbs, but it has been working realy well for me. It has enzyme ,oxy,and citrus, similar to powermax.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
floorguy said:
i was gonna say that to......

now with that in mind...i wouldnt go throwing purple power out on a house either

true......you do have to use good common since.....there is some shit out there I think they use battery acid to mix it with............

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Padden McFadden said:
Jim,
Have you ever tried magic wands grease eater? I don't know if it's as good as Cobbs, but it has been working realy well for me. It has enzyme ,oxy,and citrus, similar to powermax.

No I have never used it before.....Until the last 6 to 8 months..Cobbs stuff always did me good and I never had a reason to look else where........then it got changed and it has been an up hill battle to find that sweet spot again.....

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
What's this freaking deal with pre-sparys anyhow, Jim?

With the heat you are using, water alone should do the job for you :p

I may need to talk with Waldo!

What's next?

You are going to start pre-vacuuming?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

We did have some problems with our surfactant spray-dry system, that caused some inconsistencies in the powder you received.

That system has been improved to the point where,
I think it provides the most powder consistency in the industry.

I think you will appreciate the results.

The initial pH of PowerMax is in the high 10's,
but it drops with a water rinse to 8 to 9.

I asked Werner Braun, president of the Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI), about the requirement for a pH under 10 for their upcoming pet treatment products. That would eliminate most oxidizers, since their pH is 10.5
The technical guy said carpet could handle pH above 10, but they thought keeping the requirement for carpet below 10 minimized their exposure to dye problems.

I mentioned the Shaw solution-dyed carpet we purchased that bled with a pH of 7.
He explained that solution-dyed carpet often had only 90% solution dyed.
The dark maroon that bled was that 10% that was vat dyed.

Larry

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Thanks....as soon as I get done hugging this pail...I will order another and see how it does........

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
OK I have to ask: how do you mix the powermax in a hydroforce????

I had two pails of that stuff. The first one I felt like I was just testing and testing and always hoping it will work better or mix in the hydroforce, instead of having the slushy stuff on top of the water, and when it runs empty the whole hydroforce is covered inside with this jelly stuff... how do you guys mix it so it actually mixes with water?!?? It actually covers the little filter on the end of the tube inside the hydroforce- I think that won't allow enough solution to go through.

How much of it do you put in the hydroforce? If you read a little history here you can find some absolutely crazy numbers. if its 8oz to a gallon in a pump up or electric sprayer, that would be an incredible amount going into a hydroforce. So what is it? (I do 4 scoops, thats 8oz i think)

This second bucket rarely gets used anymore..the "powder" is hard in the bucket (been hard since it arrived), that i have to bang on it and scrape at it to try to scoop it out. It has big chunks of some yellow/orange crap, that I assume should be all mixed in evenly with the rest of the powder.

On top of all this, it doesn't seem to clean well... I find myself reaching for Shawn Forsythe's prespray (awesome, smooth powder and cleans great!!) 80% of the time and powerburst other times.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i kept saying Larry should have sent Jim a pail to see how it worked for him..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

and i mix it most times around 2 oz a gallon....which is 20oz in a hydro force with no tip....and i dont have any idea how to fiz that issue...other then most jobs i use my electric sprayer

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I mix 8 to 12 ounces in my 7 quart in-line sprayer. I just put the scoops right in with hot water over the top and shake it while walking to the house. Mixes very easy leaves nothing behind.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I mix it the same as joey. I mix mine before I head out in the morning. I fill it about half way with hot water, shake it up then add some citrus solv, fill it up, shake it, go make money.

I havent had it get hard in the bucket. I usually put mine in 6 lb jars that are left over from other failure chems that I used to buy. Then I give the really cool bucket to someone. Everyone seems to want one.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Charles Lyman said:
I mix it the same as joey. I mix mine before I head out in the morning. I fill it about half way with hot water, shake it up then add some citrus solv, fill it up, shake it, go make money.

I havent had it get hard in the bucket. I usually put mine in 6 lb jars that are left over from other failure chems that I used to buy. Then I give the really cool bucket to someone. Everyone seems to want one.

My wife does the emergency prepardness around here.....she ordered portable toilet seats, and told people they could have a bucket for it if they wanted :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had over 40 buckets, from cobbs, to my wax and stripper buckets....people were very happy they got free buckets for their portable pooper shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Shane T said:
[quote="Zalan Szabo (zee)":32kl6h8d]and when it runs empty the whole hydroforce is covered inside with this jelly stuff.

Are you sure didn't mix something else with it?[/quote:32kl6h8d]

I always rinse out my jugs and bottles before I mix anything. Powermax never worked for me- it would never mix to a smooth liquid in the sprayer.

I have very hot water available to mix my chems.(El diablo heat)

I have a feeling I got a really bad batch from Cobb's.

If I compare how Forsythe's Kleenline prespray or Prochem Powerburst looks and feels and mixes in the hydroforce- the powermax is a joke. Powermax is chunky hard "powder" that never mixed right.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Shane T said:
[quote="Zalan Szabo (zee)":2tt9fu0s]and when it runs empty the whole hydroforce is covered inside with this jelly stuff.

Are you sure didn't mix something else with it?[/quote:2tt9fu0s]

it does this..it is not so bad with the older stuff...but for some reason when you get to the bottom of your sprayer with the new stuff......there is a thick layer of owl snot all in the bottom.....I think that when he has it made they don't mix it very well....the old stuff was fluffy and desolved right away......the newer stuff is more gritty and has chunks of orange stuff that did not get broken down in there mix......and the last 1/3 of the pail dries up brick hard for some reason.....

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Mr Mandingo here it is:

Shawn Forsythe said:
Some might very well say, "what. another chemical line?".... "don't we have enough of them already?"

With the recent turmoil of the volatility of some of the component prices for chemical formulations, and with the resultant price rises of end products, we've seen a lot of customers anxious to try new products in an effort to save money. It's been a bad time to raise prices in a recession. Personally, I've always been an advocate of sticking with what works. What I mean by that is that you have to look at the big picture, not just the price of a product per pound or gallon, but what is the true cost to use the product per square foot, with labor factored in.A dull knife, even if that knife costs nothing, will be an expensive device to try make money with.

A chemical's value should be measured by its own cost, plus the labor costs to implement. This I have always advocated. For the most of my life in this profession (As an R&D person & a Purchasing Agent) , I have had the luxury of having this opinion without compromises.

However, I have leaned over the past few years in my position here at CCCS, dealing directly with customers sometimes, that I now have to think more pragmatic. Not all my customers are going to share my opinions, no matter how what I might try. If a customer wants a product, and his chief discriminating factor is price per pound, you had better be that supplier or lose the business of a market segment.

Recent changes in our company permitted us to openly discuss a practical solution that solves a fundamental question. Can we at CCCS sell a top-tier product, that also has pricing characteristics that fill a longstanding niche of our market that is growing immensely in this economy. Sure, we've tried private labeling, and it works to a small extent. But really, we have the ability with some of recent staff acquisitions to do what really needed to be done, and that is to actually manufacture.... our own formulations.

"Kleenline" was born. Kleenline is not a private labeled brand, but our own top-tier line of chemical formulations that will expand only at the rate we can introduce performance competitive products that meet a very high standard. But as well, the ability to be a manufacturer direct makes the pricing a huge draw.

90 plus percent of our business is walk-in, and the bulk part of our advertising is direct. As such, the products themselves will have a low advertising overhead to further their goal of performance at low cost, with no compromise.

So far, we have:

Kleenline Powdered Carpet Cleaning Emulsifier (Introduced in March)
Kleenline Powdered Carpet Cleaning Preconditioner (Introduced in March)
Kleenline Carpet & Fabric Odor Counteractant Concentrate (Introduced in April)

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Jim Martin said:
[quote="Shane T":h16tp36c][quote="Zalan Szabo (zee)":h16tp36c]and when it runs empty the whole hydroforce is covered inside with this jelly stuff.

Are you sure didn't mix something else with it?[/quote:h16tp36c]

it does this..it is not so bad with the older stuff...but for some reason when you get to the bottom of your sprayer with the new stuff......there is a thick layer of owl snot all in the bottom.....I think that when he has it made they don't mix it very well....the old stuff was fluffy and desolved right away......the newer stuff is more gritty and has chunks of orange stuff that did not get broken down in there mix......and the last 1/3 of the pail dries up brick hard for some reason.....[/quote:h16tp36c]

The newer version has more citrus and oxidizer than the old.
It does tend to separate more when it sits.(just like oil and vinegar dressing)
But if you shake the jug a little when you pick it up to get it back in suspension before you spray it there will be no slime when you finish the jug.
I run jug after jug through mine with not even a rinse of the container and have no problems.
As far as the caking, all powders tend to do this somewhat. Some more than others. Especially when they are wetter powders due to additives.
No matter who's powder I use I always run a aggressive paint paddle mixer on a drill through it to fluff it up after shipping and settling.

Back
Top Bottom