Mr. Winter is almost upon us again!

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Well, it's time to get things in order, it's been down in high 30's to low 40's the last couple nights. This year I plan on using the small fan set up I purchased from Northern Tools with the small heater that attaches to circulate the heat better in the box. I have a electrical/mechanical friend that is going to rig me up a thermostat for that. I run two separate heaters from 2 separate circuits but last year I had 2 very close calls with a breaker tripping on one heater and woke up to some lines almost froze and solved it by running a salamandor for 3-4 hours to thaw them out.

Does anyone have info leading to the temperature monitoring devised that DOES HAVE an alarm built in? I used one from WalMart last year which worked fine but did not have the alarms (hince my almost 2 freeze-ups).

Most of the time I have jobs every night except Friday and Saturday nights so freeze ups are not a huge concern because the box is pretty warm when I get back to the shop, however, when Friday afternoon comes along the 2-3 day period that the truck sets idol is the time that I have the problems when the fresh water tank begins to loose it's warmth and the water gets down to below 50 or so. Sometimes I will just start the truck up and drive it around Lexington once to heat up the fresh water tank and things are better with that.

I am going to have at least one dedicated circuit run for the heaters (maybe two) if I can get my brother in law back here before December.

Sorry I know I am being long winded, just need a link to heat monitors with alarms.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
316211_527914810627_329600720_641749_1068306924_n.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Man I hate winter!

Moved a couple of trucks over to the Lawrence building to get in out of the cold. I still need to get a unit pulled out of a van and installed in my new truck before it gets too cold.

Dusted off the snow blower and started it up, I've been looking for my gloves and already wore my winter coat Tuesday when it was 28-degrees that morning.

Next few days are going to be in the 70's, I need to get my outside work done before it gets too cold.

I hate winter! I need a cookie! thathurts

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Billy,
Could just sit out for a few months. Driving and setting up in snow, ice and sub-freezing temps sucks anyway.

Billy

Name
BH
BLewis said:
Well, it's time to get things in order, it's been down in high 30's to low 40's the last couple nights. This year I plan on using the small fan set up I purchased from Northern Tools with the small heater that attaches to circulate the heat better in the box. I have a electrical/mechanical friend that is going to rig me up a thermostat for that. I run two separate heaters from 2 separate circuits but last year I had 2 very close calls with a breaker tripping on one heater and woke up to some lines almost froze and solved it by running a salamandor for 3-4 hours to thaw them out.

Does anyone have info leading to the temperature monitoring devised that DOES HAVE an alarm built in? I used one from WalMart last year which worked fine but did not have the alarms (hince my almost 2 freeze-ups).

Most of the time I have jobs every night except Friday and Saturday nights so freeze ups are not a huge concern because the box is pretty warm when I get back to the shop, however, when Friday afternoon comes along the 2-3 day period that the truck sets idol is the time that I have the problems when the fresh water tank begins to loose it's warmth and the water gets down to below 50 or so. Sometimes I will just start the truck up and drive it around Lexington once to heat up the fresh water tank and things are better with that.

I am going to have at least one dedicated circuit run for the heaters (maybe two) if I can get my brother in law back here before December.

Sorry I know I am being long winded, just need a link to heat monitors with alarms.

There are a few with Alarms but they seem to have limited distance. I tried a few different ones before my friend Thom told me about one that worked at longer distances but didn't have an alarm. If you park your truck close to house you may be able to use one of the ones with an alarm function. I have only had luck with the one Thom suggested due to my distance from the Truck.

We have never had issue with Breaker but we have two 20a dedicated circuits.

Circuit 1 runs:

1. Wall Heater w thermostat set at 2
2. 2 Small AirKing Air Movers set on low - med
3. Refrigerator
4. Guest Marine Electronic Charger

Circuit 2 runs:

1. Wall Heater w thermostat set at 2
2. Block Heater

We have one wall Heater just above the Water tank Passenger side with one AirKing on top of Water Tank aimed towards rear. This Heats the rear of the truck well above freezing.

The second heater is located on wall mid-way Drivers Side low to floor. The second AirKing is in front just below heater aimed towards side door.

We also cover Blower shield with Blanket every night. This system has worked well along with 3 Temp monitors for a few years now using minimal electricity. If we have electric failure we have whole house Generator & a small one. We have also figure out in a pinch if we heat a full tank of water it actually can keep truck warm around major components.

There was a time when I had 3 Heaters & still had a light freeze that cost me $$$$s but this layout has worked even on our coldest nights.

Mike Draper

With as much money on the line that you have for your business, why not invest in one of these and forget about it.

http://www.elstonmfg.com/cargo-heaters/universal-heaters.html
They run about $1,500 and will keep the 53' semi truck cargo trailer warm. they have a built in thermostat just like a home and run off Diesel or Propane. You can plug them in at night or they can run off your deep cell battery.

Billy

Name
BH
Mike Draper said:
With as much money on the line that you have for your business, why not invest in one of these and forget about it.

http://www.elstonmfg.com/cargo-heaters/universal-heaters.html
They run about $1,500 and will keep the 53' semi truck cargo trailer warm. they have a built in thermostat just like a home and run off Diesel or Propane. You can plug them in at night or they can run off your deep cell battery.

I looked at these before figuring out how to use what I already had. I preferred it because it ran off diesel.

http://www.webasto.us/general/en/html/8244.html

http://www.espar.com/index.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom