MS to Mac Migration

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Has anyone migrated a complete office over to Mac?

I currently run a server, 2x work stations and have full MS Exchange Server with email, calendar and contacts that sync with the PDA's in the field.

Everyone I talk to have a vested interest... :crazy: Mac guys say no problem, we'll save you bucket loads and the PC guys say you can't do that, it won't do this/that, you won't be able to have exchange etc.

True, I can run boot camp or similar to run and PC software, but what's the point?

Looking for honest feedback (privately if you want) of your swap over mission.

Thanks, John

dgargan

I changed over 3-4 months ago and it was seemless. Mac is the way to go. Make sure you also install Parallels on the Mac to run windows. Windows even runs better on a Mac. Best of both worlds

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
John, We switched to Mac 3 years ago, we use VMware Fusion software to run Quickbooks for Windows. quickbooks for Mac has a lot to be desired. I will never go back to Windows after running Macs. I'm pretty sure you can get Microsoft Office for Mac with Exchange now. We love the consistent operation of the Mac products.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Have either of you have a server and local network?

Did you get it all set up by Mac techs or self implement?

The only service agent we have locally is a bit of a rogue, charges like he owns a Vortex and provides service consistent with Bawb's spray n suck :lol:

Do you maintain the system yourselves, or have you had to have continued tech support?

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I remember him saying a few years back that he bought one machine, a laptop I think from memory and never looked back. I didn't hear/can't remember if he swung his entire netwrok across though.

I'm seriously contemplating xero.com or equivilent for accounting. Or I'll continue to use MYOB through a parralell option.

My current server is getting long in the tooth and nearing the end of it's upgrade options. Just had a quote of $5k to replace it with the same model albeit gen 6 instead of gen 2 or 3 or whatever it is. Then in another 6-7 years start the cycle all over again.

Wondering about different options that will allow for either a longer initial use period, OR better upgrade options to extend the useable life of the core equipment.

Our current job management software is also only available for PC, so there's a lot trying to tie me to PC's but I'm fed up with the costs and dramas of my current system.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom