Multi-Truck Guys........

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Are your crews this good? Just had a roof put on my house yesterday, and these guys had it together. They were good. 18 squares, complete tear off, ice guard underlayment along the edges, 30# felt, 30 year dimensional shingles, new vent and chimney flashings, and they even painted the pipes to match the roof color. (It's a 12/12 pitch) They were here at sunup....7 AM.....and left at 1:30, and my yard never looked so clean. There were 10 guys, all Americans, kinda John G types......Hilljack-ie, but tough. They bantered with each other the whole time. All the right equipment. Every man had a specific job, and they worked very efficiently. Didn't waste any time. Didn't need supervision, although there was a foreman type on the job.

Now, if I could find a crew like that, I would put on another truck.

I had the grandson out today on a commercial job, and even though I 'splained the importance of keeping the hoses out of my way and chairs moved, I had to remind him to move chairs and pull the hoses about every 2 minutes. He's a brainy kid, but manual labor isn't going to be his best suit. I guess being his Granpa, I really didn't want to yell at him????

How do you big guys keep your employees on track??

Bob Foster

rwcarpet said:
How do you big guys keep your employees on track??

RaidersWhipFullCoiled-vi.jpg

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
rwcarpet said:
Are your crews this good? Just had a roof put on my house yesterday, and these guys had it together. They were good. 18 squares, complete tear off, ice guard underlayment along the edges, 30# felt, 30 year dimensional shingles, new vent and chimney flashings, and they even painted the pipes to match the roof color. (It's a 12/12 pitch) They were here at sunup....7 AM.....and left at 1:30, and my yard never looked so clean. There were 10 guys, all Americans, kinda John G types......Hilljack-ie, but tough. They bantered with each other the whole time. All the right equipment. Every man had a specific job, and they worked very efficiently. Didn't waste any time. Didn't need supervision, although there was a foreman type on the job.

That's a great example of how every roofing crew should be.

18 squares, is it a gable roof?

Did you ask for the upgraded ridge vents? They usually come in a 6 foot roll, they guys would have to make cut along the ridges to fit the ridge vent in place.

RidgeVent2Big.jpg

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Sounds like the guys were taught there job, given the freedom and respect to get it done, and likely paid well for their industry. Glad to hear you had such a good experience.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
rwcarpet said:
Now, if I could find a crew like that, I would put on another truck... How do you big guys keep your employees on track??

They are out there, Robert. A) Hire good people. B) Treat them with respect and dignity. (Pay at least 20% more than they can make doing comparable work elsewhere in your market area.) C) Train them using an organized daily system with a mentoring trainer. D) Hold them accountable. E) Reward your people when they excel. F) Get rid of the ones who don't excel fast.

Like Ken, I'm glad you had a good experience.

Island Boy
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I think the key was "adding accountability" to our company with systems to let them know someone would be watching. Before we did this our employees were loose cannons and did pretty much as they pleased. Then one day I woke up and realized that I was the only one ACCOUNTABLE in my company and it was ruining my marriage and my life. I would post a link for a Report on how I did this but then the board Nazi's would cut loose on us both. :) The "Adding Accountability" report is on the SFS web site.

F

FB7777

c'mon Tooboring, don't let that stop you

besides, I've resigned from the third reich. :shock:

I actually preferred the days when I could predictably scroll through one of your longwinded SFS sales pitches over on ICS

this new whiny version of you cuz you can't do as you please on Mikeysboard even tho your boss pays the way, is really annoying :mrgreen:

Link Away!!!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
tmdry said:
rwcarpet said:

That's a great example of how every roofing crew should be.

18 squares, is it a gable roof?

Did you ask for the upgraded ridge vents? They usually come in a 6 foot roll, they guys would have to make cut along the ridges to fit the ridge vent in place.

RidgeVent2Big.jpg
Yes....it's a gable roof. I wanted to do the job with my sons, but considering the time and chance of falling off the roof (I fell off my motherinlaws roof.....twice!). It already had the ridge vents.......I installed them 30 years ago. They were a high profile aluminum vent, and they were replaced with the new low profile plastic vents....the whole length. I'll try to get a pic posted. By doing it myself, I would have had to give up cleaning time during the day, and would be at the mercy of the boys work schedule. It's done.....I'm happy....the wife is happy.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
fred boyle said:
c'mon Tooboring, don't let that stop you

besides, I've resigned from the third reich. :shock:

I actually preferred the days when I could predictably scroll through one of your longwinded SFS sales pitches over on ICS

this new whiny version of you cuz you can't do as you please on Mikeysboard even tho your boss pays the way, is really annoying :mrgreen:

Link Away!!!
That's real nice of you, Fred. Actually, I link to the Reports to avoid being even more long-winded. Those who want the info can download it. Those who just want to hang out in this comfy pub and vent can scroll on by.

Seriously, though, for those of you who have employees who are not working under your direct control you would weep if you could see what is going on out there. I've heard some incredible horror stories from our members. Keep your people "accountable" with these tips:

http://sfs.jondon.com/2999/resources/sp ... ur-company

Steve
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS OK, here is just one true employee story to point up the need to keep control of your techs. Several years ago a very successful multi-trucker (no it wasn't Ken Snow) put his hand up during the "Employee Accountability" section of SFS and shared this nightmare:

"I was sitting at my desk one morning and my secretary put through a call from a very good long time client. When I answered the phone he didn't even say hello but instead yelled at me, "What is your technician doing going though my refrigerator?" Come to find out our customer had installed a home security system with hidden web cams since his last cleaning (he had teenagers and wanted to keep an eye on them) and had logged in to his system while at work just in time to catch one of my employees rummaging through his refrigerator!" (Come to think of it this might have been Chavez who shared this little gem!) :)

You know, Winston Churchill once said, "A man's conscience is that little voice inside him that says. 'Someone is watching'." Sadly, for many of our employees that "little voice" just isn't there so we need to remind them that WE (and our customers) may be "watching" at any moment.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Fred- one Odin is enough here. Why not be original in your insults at least, or do as Steve suggests and scroll on by.

Thanks for all your contributions Steve and see you in a couple weeks!

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom