mushrooms in carpet

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Can carpet that has mushrooms growing from it be cleaned and saved. I was certified like 6 years ago and at that time if a textile had mold it had to be removed. Was wondering if they had changed the standard on that. The adjuster told the homeowner to try and clean the carpet first.

Mikey P

Administrator
Depends if it a whole sod farm going on or just a few shrooms..

I've done a few.. drench in the sanitizer if you choice, dwell, Claw and clean..

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Did you have it tested afterward? My understanding is that it will never pass a test.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Recommended to the homeowner to take the money they would have payed for cleaning and testing and apply it to new carpet. That is what they are going to do.

Reactions: dealtimeman

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think its less about "can" and more about "should".

Yes it can, but how would you ever know if you removed enough contamination to make it healthy enough to walk or lay on?

With that level of microbial growth already established I personally would not. However if it comes down to where a homeowner has few options, non-insured, too high a deductible, no funds to pay deductible then we would with a non compliance waiver.

Copy of which everyone gets and and explanation as to why we don't believe it should be saved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
S520 standards state it should be disposed of. Is the $100-$200 you are going to make on the cleaning worth the risk? replace it

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Mushrooms aren't mold, but both are likely present. If there is enough nutrient in the carpet (the synthetic fibers themselves aren't a nutrient, of course) for the mushroom's fruiting body to grow (that part we see and sometimes consume), there surely is enough nutrient to foster mold growth as well.

That carpet is full of stuff that isn't good to be within a home at all, and Richard's perfectly worded comment about what we "can do" versus what we "should do" is what I'd follow as well.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
pcclogoface.jpg

Back
Top Bottom