My first patch

miksar

Supportive Member
Name
Mike Fent
Okay, did I learn alot today, I have practiced alot at home, thought I was good, went to a friends home today to repair an iron burn. Things were going great, cut out burn piece, cut the donor piece, nice fit, looks good, put the kool glide tape and turned on the kool glide, somehow I created 2 more burn holes! My friend was watching this, I'm cussing, he's laughing, it didn't do this before! As best I can figure out I did 2 things wrong. The first was I applied a little pressure to the glide, holding it down, don't think you need to. The 2nd thing is, the patch was pretty small, so I think I over used the glide, not waiting for the tape to cool down, I used it again on some of the same area that I had just done. So now I had 2 more patches to do. No sweat, that went well, my friend and I had a little laugh. Finally done, I thought, I was starting to pack up, I reached for my hot knife, I thought I had unplugged it a long time ago, I apparently didn't secure it too good either, now I had another little 3 inch burn repair to do. Needless to say, I was totally embarrassed, where is that South West Airline commercial? So, I did 4 repairs today instead of the one I had planned on. But they all looked good, went home and had a drink.

Cousin

You've got a weeks worth of practice all in one job, "miksar"?

Well done. Did you get any pics?

M

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Brings back memories.. I too burnt one of the first paying jobs I did with my new KG some 15-18 months ago.

Keep in mind a few things. thickness of carpet, climate in the home, subfloor etc. If you have an unoccupied home on concrete slab in winter, you're going to need high. If you have a very warm home, thin olefin carpet over timber, probably on low.

Secondly, as you pointed out, no pressure needed and you need to alloow cooling time between overlapping welds.

Congrats though on the repairs. Now take some photos as well for us to check out but they are also great for a brag book and general marketing.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom