My next project

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
291065618_987972378_0.jpg

291065807_987973057_0.jpg

I read the other post about cat damage in the doorway. I don't have a stretcher yet, so I need advice on how to handle this. This is for a property manager that has always let me experiment with stuff. I am free to work with it and not have a customer looking over my shoulder.
Backing is still good. I want to try a graft. What do you guys think?

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I think what you need to do is get a pattern stretcher or mini stretcher. Trim the edge clean with scissors. And zapp it with the kool glide. Is the floor a gypcrete floor . If so you should be able to use saty nails(Roofing or Gypcrete nails) Than do your seam. Kick it up and stay nail if you must. The easiest is the 1st suggestion.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
yes, the subfloor is wood. I didn't think about using the nails to keep it in place. I think I will kick it up like you said and use the kool glide. I have it scheduled for next week and should have my kool glide by then :D .

Stevea

Charles,

First, I would agree with Harry, a Mini Stretcher would make this job very simple, very simple.

Since you do not have one you can trim it and put a small insert, somewhat of a saddle. Grafting would also work if you still have the secondary in place, which you did state was still good, this would be a viable repair since it is on the side of the seam and not in the middle.

A couple of these type repairs could be made but it goes back to the mini stretcher, with that tool, a glue gun and a kool glide you can pull the end together and make it look great in short order.

If I were to try to graft it, I would probably trim as much bad stuff away and then form a piece to fit but I would not take off the secondary, I would 'graft' it with the secondary still on the donor piece and lock it in place and then trim the top off. This way you keep a lot of the stability of the donor and still never break the backing open at the seam and let what is stable stay stable. This is a pretty good repair for this as well but you have to make some anchors through the backing for the donor piece to hold onto. This is done with a glue gun.

Just some thoughts but I will be excited to see how you handle it and how it comes out.

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Charles you read both Steve and I . Being it is a wood floor use some roofing nails to stay nail . you should be fine . Easier is best when you want to fully commit yourself . I always indulge on by the tool needed. EX Steve Andrews class . After taking his class. Something told me I needed this Steamer to perform my job properly. I did not get paid 1 penny for cleaning the chair I represented online but spent $600. on a steamer . To do it properly. Tools are what make the man. There are always alternatives . The best way is the easy way. I know you can do it Charles.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
That's awesome Charles, thanks for posting some of your learning curve and sharing.

You're doing great.

To add to what Steve and harry have said, IF you cut open the existing seam, put your stay nails in FIRST. Even 8' or more out from the seam to hold existing tension.

I'd also like to second what Harry said about tools. If you're committed about repair work, go for it and get a few extras taht will speed your time and make you job easier. DON'T lower your price just because you shaved 1/3 of your time off!!!

That's why I moved to piece pricing when I got my KG.

My biggest problem with tools is not having the range of equipment in 220v.

I do have a step down transformer so a few things on my list of to get tools are the seamer down now, a butane glue glun, some of the newer KG double sided tape and their glue sticks.

If you don't have a trimmer then get your self a cheap hair clipper unit and shave that fuzz off the surrounding areas and it'll make your repair much smaller and will clean it up 100%

It's also great for trimming up fuzz from home owners scrubbing stains before you get there.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Excellent post John . Dont ever lower your price . They are there because they need you. When I fabricate a rug seaming price with the cool glide $10.oo a ft. I never lower my prices no matter what it is . When you do thaT IS WHEN YOU ARE IN TROUBLE. Sorry for the caps. Remember time is money even if you are only driving in your van or truck.

Stevea

Charles,

Stay nailing is an excellent way of holding something in place to work with it. Here is a clip of a repair showing stay nailing on a doorway seam that had to be worked a lot, due to the size of the donor piece being very limited. Notice the gap that is started with, then it is pulled together and stay nailed, worked and then the mini stretcher is moved down a little to work another portion of the seam.
Not all seams need this, this was a very difficult piece to work due to the size differences, but then that is what stay nailing will help with.

I hope this clip makes sense and helps you to understand stay nailing a little. Notice the nails on each side of the saddle.
Also, how the seam can be worked a little at a time.
th_2574ef37.jpg

SA

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Thanks for all the input. I was dreaming about this repair last night......
I saw Barry Costa do some stay nailing on the video that is on the kool glide website, so I understand what you guys are talking about with that.
Steve, once again, good video.
If the carpet is loose enough, would it be a good idea to use the mini stretcher to pull the carpet together, seam it with the kool glide and not have to put in a donor piece?

Stevea

Charles,

That is the correct repair to do with this. I work with a couple of large contractors from time to time and this is one of the repairs we work on, showing them how to repair door way seams. It is very rare that you would have to have a donor piece, in fact it will likely tighten up the rest of the area, this is partly why I like this repair so much. You almost never have to dis-engage the carpet from the walls to do this repair. So, yes, trim it and pull it together, you may not even have to open the whole seam but if you do trim it off straight and work it together and it will look great.

SA

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Awesome, I will look into getting a mini stretcher soon. As for me, I just finished up my work for the day and I'm on vacation for the rest of the week!
Have a good one guys.

Back
Top Bottom