My pump is back from the dEd!

Name
Eric Valentine
Right in the middle of a small 2 room job, my Hypro 2320 pump went to heck on me. The pulley is completely frozen up. I have yet to take it apart to see what happened, but I do have a new pump on the way from Windtrax. I will see if the old pump is worth rebuilding to have as a spare or not.

$365.00 I wasn't planning on spending right now...
So much for saving up to get a tile spinner.........

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Re: My pump is dEd!

bummer, Big E

how many hours on the pump?

what's the average life expectancy on 'em?

..L.T.A.

Name
Eric Valentine

404.1 hours on the hour meter.

The warranty is 5 years.

I bought the TM used, and I have no idea how old it is for sure. I did notice a LOT of oil around the pump today that wasn't there 2 days ago (last day I ran it before today). I will be removing the pump tomorrow or Sunday to take it apart to see what falls out when I take the back cover off.

Good thing I have the POS porty still. I just have to replace a couple of rocker switches, and I will at least be able to somewhat hack out some carpets. thathurts

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas

Eric Valentine said:
I did notice a LOT of oil around the pump today that wasn't there 2 days ago (last day I ran it before today).

Sounds like you had a oil leak and ran it dry.
It is probably toast.
Gotta check oil levels each day.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Daddy said:
TM's in general are about as reliable as a 70's chrysler.

there ain't no BALLAST RESISTOR on MY TM

but I can picture YOU in a '78 Volare on prom night :shock:

LOOZER!

..L.T.A.

Name
Eric Valentine

Nate The Great said:
Does your pump have a clutch? Or was it swapped for a pulley?
Pulley

Mikey P said:
I'd bring it back to the crook who sold it to you.
I won't speak ill of one of the best distributors on the board. It wasn't his fault.
KevinD said:
Eric Valentine said:
I did notice a LOT of oil around the pump today that wasn't there 2 days ago (last day I ran it before today).

Sounds like you had a oil leak and ran it dry.
It is probably toast.
Gotta check oil levels each day.
You hit the nail on the head. I just pulled the pump, and the back cover bolts were loose.
Each bolt was loose enough to get over one complete turn before it was tight. All the oil leaked out.

The ironic thing is that I was going to change the oil on the Vanguard, grease the blower, check and tighten every bolt/screw/nut I could get to, and clean everything up so it was nice and shiny after I got home from the one carpet job I had today.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

Global Moderator

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Capitoni
City: Potage county
State or Province: Oh
Carpet Cleaner: Yes
Restoration: No
Repairs: No
Multi-truck: No
Fine Rugs: No
Tile/Stone: No
Supplier: No
Professional assoc.?: No
Years in Trade: 18 Daddy wrote:
TM's in general are about as reliable as a 70's chrysler.

there ain't no BALLAST RESISTOR on MY TM

but I can picture YOU in a '78 Volare on prom night

LOOZER!

..L.T.A.
/quote]

Well, it was the only thing that routinely went wrong, and it cost $2 at K-Mart, and took a screwdriver and 30 seconds to replace. And it was a Duster. :oops:

Name
Eric Valentine
I took the pump apart, and there was no visible damage, and I got it un-stuck by slowly working the pulley back and forth. I filled it with oil, sloshed the oil around, turned it by hand for at least 15 minutes, then drained it. There were a few tiny "shavings", but they were too small to even feel.

I put the pump back on the TM, filled it with 6 oz of non-detergent 30 weight and 2 oz of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Started it up, and ran the psi to about 1500, then down to 400. No leaks that I can see or feel, and it runs like a champ!

I even was able to call Windtrax, and cancel the order before it went out. (I will order a spare pump after the holidays, as I am going back to Nebraska for 2 weeks to visit family I haven't seen in almost 6 years)

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
If it was a Cat pump I would say you have 8 lives left but seeing as it is a Hypro I would order the replacement sooner than later to have on the shelf.
I would not put a lot of faith in the connecting rods and bearings after it got hot and seized up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom