My sons first commercial color repair job

harryhides

Name
Tony
He has done a bit of field work with me on solid Apt carpets and just a little practice for about a month.
I was on this job with him, prompting and suggesting but he did most of the work.
From first pic to last took 65 mins in all.

Take a look:

1/ Overview, before:
aBeforeWide_IMG.jpg

2/ Closer view - before:

abBeforeMid_IMG.jpg

3/ Before close up: Notice that the blues and purples had been the least affected as is often the case.
Too much yellow and best colors to kill yellow are red and blue

acBeforeClose_IMG.jpg

4/ After first round of color correction, adding mainly blues, started on small bit upper left:

bFirstround_IMG.jpg

5/ Stand up, walk around and decide which colors need to be added"

cpartway_IMG.jpg

6/ Third round:

dpartway_IMG.jpg

7/ Final shot - not perfect but I felt that at this point we could spend another half hour and be no further ahead.
Besides, customer came by and was very happy.

eAfter_IMG.jpg

harryhides

Name
Tony
Charles Lyman said:
did he use crayons?

Charles, well I never !!
We only use "Professional, specialty carpet dye sticks" !!

Actually mostly artist supply house pastels and the odd crayon.

Good observation Mike.
Looks bloomed because of using a steam iron on a high traffic path where the surrounding carpet has been crushed down. I expect that after a day or two of traffic it will blend in. One other possible is because I "stabbed" the carpet repeatedly with a sharp, white dye stick to duplicate the white flecks in the pattern. Compare Pic /5 vs Pic /6
If you look off to the right of the work area you will see the most heavily trafficked area which looks more gray ( flattened and more soiled ) than over to the left which was a less trafficked. See Pic /1
Also this area was just slightly damp which will also affect the visuals.
One way to overcome this problem in determining if you have "got it right" is to dampen the surrounding area ( nothing else ) for comparison.
I make a point of doing this on jobs that are far away to ensure that I do not waste a lot of travel time.

harryhides

Name
Tony
James and anyone else starting down this road, my suggestion is to start on small discolored areas less than 2" diameter. Move onto larger areas when you feel you've got the hang of it on the small ones. Commercial carpet with random patterns like the one above are very easy and there's plenty of work in Apt block hallways outside laundry rooms.

Another easy place to start is on say a red kool-aid stain that you have used an iron on and also removed just a bit of the carpet's color or conversely the slight remains of a stain that you did not quite completely remove.

Unlike the usual advice - DO TRY THIS AT HOME.

Back
Top Bottom