My Son's First Day

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I'm taking my son to work today. 13 years old, 6' 1 already (I'd have made him bigger, but my foot slipped) and seems pretty willing. We'll see whats left of him at the end of the day. :lol:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Don't nuke him the first day, let him clean a little just don't wear him out.

Good experience for him, he can really grow into a good helper for you. I've been working for my father since I was 12-years old.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am much smarter than you so I got my kid a job with a friend and hired his son

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Best way to learn a good worth ethic. I got an early start and now I'm a workaholic...almost to a fault.

Good job letting him in the biz at an early age.

He might stray for a while but when he realizes the opportunities, he will most likey come back.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Greg Crowley said:
I am guessing you don't have children Brian

I have a Daughter. I am teaching her the benefits of owning a business and NOT working for other people.

She is 14 and has cleaned with me in the past. I don't clean anymore or I would take her with me during the summer etc.

Funny watching her with gloves on that were as big as her while she struggle to pull hoses.
Love that kid.

She is a hard worker.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
13.. :shock: he's over the hill

This is my 4 year old daughter and the real secret to making big moeny in rug cleaning :wink:

DSC_2023.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I applaud any of you for getting your kids to do some physical work. They need to respect what you do and learn how to work.

I worked with my older son during the school break when he was 14 and it was sometimes rocky and sometimes great. This year younger son is 14 and taking college chemistry. He will just be riding with me on the commute, and seems far more excited about his option. :wink:

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I have 6 kids in all. 4 sons and 2 daughter.

All kids are wired different. My way of thinking is that all of my kids will have to do at least some work for me. I will not try to influence their career choice though. That needs to be their decision.

Depending on how your child is wired it could be an all out battle to work with them or it could be extremely rewarding. My boys ages are 18, 15, 11 and 9. My daughters' ages are 7 and 5. My 18 year old is an extremely hard worker but he is also strong willed and has an intense personality. We have battled it out on some things. Still though, I know that he is a rock and I can count on him. My 14 year old is more easy going but he can be out worked. My oldest is a pain sometimes but working with him can be extremely rewarding for both of us.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I wish I could get my 21-year old to stay in school.

He keeps going a semester taking off a semester, at this rate he will graduate with his younger sisters when he's 30. :shock:

He isn't afraid of hard work and enjoys frat (animal) house atmosphere with the tech's.

John Watson

I started our son Jay at 8, he loved getting away from his 2 sisters!!!!! We had week end buisness accounts where we used Chemspec's CAM program. Jay really caught on and help me out.

During the summer I would take him 1 to 3 days a week. at 14 he went to work at Dairy Queen, 3 months later he switched to Mickey Dees for .75 more per hr.. stayed with them 6 yrs, went to MDU and was 4th in line for assist Mgrs job, They haddn't had a new assiat mgr in 8 yrs... New wife and baby, dad can you help me out??

Stayed with us for 13 yrs, our clients loved him, he could tear more equipment and screw up female QD's.(at least 4-6 per month,) Dennis Brudders used to send me stuff just to see if Jay could break it...

He flat refused to go out on sewer back ups. Now he are a Unionized Journey man plumoligist... But dad, they pay alot more than you did!!!!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
He did pretty darn good.(He did look funny when he tried the scrubber :lol: ) Tomorrow we'll see if he just wants the new Ipod or......

Spots2Stop

My son will be cleaning tomorrow night as my lead tech is on a well earned vacation.

I found it to be difficult to get him motivated about the family business (Starting him off on a 200 room hotel was a little much) however since he started dating he has changed his mind about hard work for money!

It is all part of the reward of parenting, unfortunately it is not always a guaranteed satisfying moment for all of us all of the time. But when it is, it sure feels good to know you are doing the right thing.

I believe it is better to learn to work hard and know you have earned it than to have it handed to you!

Congrats Willy on your first day working with your son!

Jay D

Name
Jay D
My problem was he wanted to work for a toy, then when he got it he did'nt want to work anymore. He is 18 and started working fulltime for someone else. His comment after working the last couple weeks "I wonder if I can get a few extra days off". In other words this full time work is for the birds. Be happy you have a job son. :roll:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
need more kids doing summer work on a dairy farm to really appreciate what work is. Maybe instead of drafting them for a couple years in the military they should be drafted to work on farms. I would help the farmers out a lot, short of getting a real lazy one where he has to spend time whipping him into shape, and they would understand that when a job has to be done, it has to be done now.
5am and 5pm milkings EVERY day, NO holidays, NO overtime
Day starts when the sun rises and ends when the sun sets; depending on time of year, before and after sun rise and set.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
can't do that here anymore .....

when i was a kid in the 70's we picked berries it was a pay per pound system you show up pic and where paid by the pound. anyone could show up pick and make 30 bucks in day the best i knew of was 60.00 a day and in the late 70's that was good moeny. There wasn't an illigal immigrant "migrant worker" to be seen in the fields and a few times too many people showed up to pick and some where turned away. In the early 1980's farm workers rights groups pushed for and made pay per pound work illigal farms now must do payroll, taxes ..ect for every worker effectivly destroying the domestic berry picking labor pool.

Oregon was near the top of straberry and blueberry growing in the 50's-70's we're now near the bottom.

Now spring & summer school break have lost their true meaning

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Our corporation was fined $700.00 for working my then 15-year old son 40-hours a week. :shock:

My dad slaved me as a kid, I worked all the time. Night work cleaning, restaurants, weekends when ever there was work, I worked.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Ron Werner said:
need more kids doing summer work on a dairy farm to really appreciate what work is. Maybe instead of drafting them for a couple years in the military they should be drafted to work on farms. I would help the farmers out a lot, short of getting a real lazy one where he has to spend time whipping him into shape, and they would understand that when a job has to be done, it has to be done now.
5am and 5pm milkings EVERY day, NO holidays, NO overtime
Day starts when the sun rises and ends when the sun sets; depending on time of year, before and after sun rise and set.

Amen Ron.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
rhyde said:
can't do that here anymore .....

when i was a kid in the 70's we picked berries it was a pay per pound system you show up pic and where paid by the pound. anyone could show up pick and make 30 bucks in day the best i knew of was 60.00 a day and in the late 70's that was good moeny. There wasn't an illigal immigrant "migrant worker" to be seen in the fields and a few times too many people showed up to pick and some where turned away. In the early 1980's farm workers rights groups pushed for and made pay per pound work illigal farms now must do payroll, taxes ..ect for every worker effectivly destroying the domestic berry picking labor pool.

Oregon was near the top of straberry and blueberry growing in the 50's-70's we're now near the bottom.

Now spring & summer school break have lost their true meaning

Ain't that the way. Teach kids the value of work and someone will make it illegal

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom