My turn for TM issue!

Name
I'm Rick James
So I got a 23 HP V-Twin B&S engine. After I run the machine and warm it up, then turn it off I can't get it started again, it just keeps spinning, so the starter is working. It does start after it cools down. Is that just what these engines do when they are used?

Waste tank is empty.
Jon Don tuned it up, replaced oils and plugs.
It does start right up for the morning start.
Flux capacitor is fluxing.

It just seems to do it when its hot and has been running. Its a HM slide in.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Brent said:
So I got a 23 HP V-Twin B&S engine. After I run the machine and warm it up, then turn it off I can't get it started again, it just keeps spinning, so the starter is working. It does start after it cools down. Is that just what these engines do when they are used?

Waste tank is empty.
Jon Don tuned it up, replaced oils and plugs.
It does start right up for the morning start.
Flux capacitor is fluxing.

It just seems to do it when its hot and has been running. Its a HM slide in.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Was happening to me until I did the tune up..new plugs, oil change, air and oil filters etc.

I make sure the hose is off the vac and the pump is off to limit the stress on the motor.
Other than that, you got me. :?

PS. It also happened when my battery cable was lose. It still turned it over but wouldn't start. Maybe not enough juice because of that?

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
the water is getting to hot and overheating your unit. Your unit is preventing itself from over heating and causing damage, thats why it wont start. Clean the oriface and make sure your thermostat isnt broken closed.

TimP

This may be simple and dumb and totaly not the answer. But if you're starting a hot carburated engine you should make sure to not choke the engine like you do when cold.

Always best to eliminate the simple dumb problems first....although I'm pretty sure you probably aren't doing the above.

Name
I'm Rick James
Its air cooled.

I have a LG 3ht heater that is not in use when this happens.

It doesnt shut off, it just wont start again if warmed up. Not sure if there is a thermostat, I don't see one.

I waited 10-15 minutes and it started right up.

When I do turn it off it takes 4-5 seconds to do so, it then chuga chuga when it starts to shut down.

Would the carb make it not start when heated up and is it causing that chuga chuga when I turn it off?

I dont choke it after its warmed up. But did try to just to see if that had something to do with it, it didn't.

Name
I'm Rick James
So may be the carb for the rough shut down and the reason it wont start when hot?

RLitwin

Are you able to bypass all sensors and shutoff floats?
If so, do that. If it starts when hot, its a bad sensor/float. If not, you have to check the engine systems - fuel and electric. Could be vapor lock. Where is the TM fuel pump located? If it is not close to the gas tank, it might be wearing out and not able to "suck" gas when hot.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
look for something simple first, loose electrical connections, etc. does this unit have all electronic ignition components or is there a coil? sometimes a coil will work fine when cold but will have problems when it gets hot.

Name
I'm Rick James
I'm pretty sure its an engine issue. My fuel pump is by the gas tank and I can hear it work, it is newer. Tomorrow I will insulate the fuel line in the TM area and change the plugs, check the wiring again. The air filter is good. I think the carb may need some work. Its a older HM so it may not have been maintained well prior to me getting it from jon don.

Thanks

rhino1 it is coil. Is not working right, part of the problem when it gets hot?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Brent said:
coil. Is not working right, part of the problem when it gets hot?

I s'pose it's possible, but you said it runs fine when hot.
it just won't re-start after hot shut down.
the coil failures I've seen didn't act like that.

can't help much to diagnose your problem
But as far as the engine "run on" at shut down, try this;
shut it down at a couple/three hundred RPM higher idle than currently set at

That worked for my 25hp Kohler when i went from 1500rpm shut down to 1800rpm shut down.
No more engine "run on" now

let it idle with no load for 30 to 60 seconds before shut down too

BTW, you're not running any "green" gas are you... ? :shock:

..L.T.A.

Name
I'm Rick James
Meat I will try shutting it down at a higher RPM.

Kevin, will a low oil sensor prevent it from from starting back up?

Thanks

G

Brent, I remember going through all my fuel lines once and all I had to do was add some oil(so yes ,check all your sensors first)it was burning some. And yes it will prevent it from starting,thats why I thought maybe on the 1st start up it shows enough. Anyway just another area that might be the problem,hope you figure it out quick.

Kevin

John Watson

Brent, did it do this before JonDon tuned it up???
if yes, they didn't fix the problem which does sound like a coil over heating.

If No, Take it back to them, evidently something is not adjusted correct for it to do this. They are supposes to start cold and hot.

PS looks like we (CCINW) will be holding our swap meet in Oct

Gary Bethel

Supportive Member
Name
Gary Bethel
Could be fuel vaporization or oil pressure.
The problem is when the engine is no longer running and therefore the fuel is no longer flowing in the fuel line, it sits there and gets very hot, it stews due to the possibility of the fuel line in close proximity to a heat exchange or the engine sump.
Fix. Maybe the fuel pump is a little weak and a new one will overcome the problem. Or re route the fuel line.

Same when oil gets real hot it becomes thin and no longer pressurizes the oil pressure switch.
Fix for this is to use heavier weight oil in summer or put a push button by pass switch on the oil pressure kill switch. The principle of this is to by pass the oil pressure kill switch until the engine is running. Use a push button style for a by pass. As soon as you take your finger of the by pass button it reverts to normal reliance of the oil pressure kill switch.

Gary.

Name
I'm Rick James
Great advise Kevin, Gary, SRI and others. I will look into them.

I didn't have a chance to look at it yesterday so I am about to go a play with it. The fuel pump is new and has about 15 hours on it and it is mounted outside the van by the tank. When i do try and start it and choke it hard I DO NOT smell gas. I do think the carb does need some adjusting. If I can't fix it today I am gonna take it to a small engine repair shop that I use to help fix the problem.

If it is vapor lock wouldn't the TM shut itself off?

I will keep you all updated, I'm sure your all at the edge of your seats waiting and wondering. :mrgreen:

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
I'm thinking the carb might be leaking into the engine. Or just adjusted too rich. Causing it to run rich and causing it to run on. And possibly making it run too rich to start back up when it is hot. It is almost like choking it while it is hot.

Brent, We used to use a lot of the Briggs & Stratton 23hp engines on our units. These engines seem to run very rich and were easy to flood out. There are some adjustments on the carburetor to lean it out. Try that. To narrow down the problem, once the engine has stopped when hot, and it will not restart, immediately take an old spark plug, connect it to one of the spark plug wires, and see if you have spark at this time. If you have no spark, then you've narrowed down the problem to ignition. This could be the low oil shutdown switch, the CDI ignition box. If you have a spark, this lets you know it is a carburetor issue. Remove the air filter for test purposes and see if it will restart. If you would like, I can get you a Vanguard factory service manual. Just let me know. Les

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom