My wife is a bad ass 90 miles down and 25+ meh head winds

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
The lass has a ton of guts mate.

I reckon your proud smile would be all over your face.

Is the dog running with her all the way.??

Short 1

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
That's awesome, my wife and kids do a cancer walk every year. I work to much:cry:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
View attachment 3011

Yeah buddy she finished! Lots of people quit and a lot of course SAG suggested she quit and let me drive her to the finish but hell no she did it all on her own. Me and Vadar walked with her on some of the bigger hills at the end when the Winds were blowing straight on at 25-30 but she wouldn't even let me push the bike. The finish was amazing as the only ones still there were TNT members. The course closed at 4:30 (why lots either values to the 61 miler or quit) but the TNT members stayed until they were all off the course. 4 more members came in after here and 4 other riders. She said no way was she quitting on everyone and that includes you guys. Your support mean so much to both of us. I know I beg for money a LOT but we and especially Lora take your scarifices serious. Thank you. She and we couldn't do it without you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Awesome is right. Sadly my mom lost her life to cancer last night at 6:30. My mom was my everything.

Mikey P

Administrator
you don't know how much I wish I could say that about my Mom.

being my everything that is, not dying..

although she's about 87% gone as it is.

Fooked up situtation it is.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I am so sorry Dan.. :( I don't know if I have shared this before but I lost my dad to cancer 19 years ago. His dying saved my life. It was the fork in the road that made me chose a different path. I miss him and wish he could have lived to see me change. It breaks my heart but I hope he knows the difference his last breath made and I hope he is proud of who I have become. I am sure your mother knows how much you loved her and I'm sure she is proud of her son. We all have an expiration date it just sucks to be the one left behind...Lora will be checking this thread later I'm sure. She isn't feeling well this morning so I know your words her will mean a lot when she reads them

Reactions: Dan and Jimbo

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Sorry to hear that Dan, I lost my mom when she was 49.
[video=youtube;RBumgq5yVrA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBumgq5yVrA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Reactions: Dan

Lora Olson

It has taken me a few weeks here to put my thoughts together about my Century ride...so here goes...

As many of you read, it was a grueling ride. I had a month cut off my training time, due to surgery in June, and that I had made adjustments for, thought I would be ok. The course had nearly 5000 ft of elevation climbs, which I was expecting and had trained for, and the biggest hills at Red Rocks went fine and I finished those great.

BUT... dealing with 10-20 mph winds, which did nothing but increase throughout the day, well how do you plan for that??? For the last 40 miles I was dealing with 20+ constant winds that were gusting 25-30 mph. Most of the ride I had to deal with heavy crosswinds. I rarely got a tail wind and at times had headwinds, but mostly crosswinds. Nearly blew me over several times. Several EMS tried talking me into quitting, telling me I had nothing left to prove, the course was closing, and that there was no shame in it. But this girl parents didn't raise a quitter; I was going to finish and not give up...well, for a lot of reasons!

First reason: Mikeyboard guys have never given up on us...year after year of raising funds, and asking for more and more and more...it would be incredibly insensitive and ungrateful for me to give up due to a little pain and wind!
Second reason: I had a lot of names on the back of my jersey, including Ken Snow. None of those people gave up, and I'm pretty sure what they all went through was much harder than a little bike ride.
Third Reason: I wasn't ever going to go back and do that f*#%ing course again, and no way was I going to let it beat me!
Fourth Reason: John and Vader chased me all around the course that Saturday, encouraging me, supporting me, driving in front of me to give me a little drafting relief, and even walking with me when I just couldn't ride up the last hill at mile 99. No way was I giving up on my husband either! I could have thrown my bike in the back of his truck at any point in the course, but again, what I was doing isn't as hard as chemo. So I finished!!!

You guys who donate to our fundraising, and support me, and ask after me and how I did, well, you will just never know how much it means to me. Many of you called and texted John that morning, and during the day, and he passed all of those messages on! I really needed that extra help this year!!!

So, simply, THANK YOU all for your support. I'll take a little time off here, and start up soon for next year's ride!

Lora

p.s. And Mikey...I never got that bread pudding...and now that training is over till next year, I will have to wait!!!. No more carbs for this girl for a while! :(

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That is awesome! What determination!!!

Shoooot, I think I would have had John pick me up in the pickup then drop me off a block from the finish line. :eekk:

Gotta love the cheers when you cross the finish line! :headbang:

Welllll ok ..maybe I wouldn't...maybe???? :winky:

Brian H

Name
Brian H
That is a very inspirational story Lora!! Make sure to put me on the list for next years donations!!

Or do you need some more this year?

Lora Olson

Thanks Brian! I'll catch you next year. Start watching in late April...John starts to beat the bushes about then! :razz:

And thanks Richard. Like I said, nobody here has ever quit on us, ever, and we ask a lot every year, of people opening their pockets. It was the least that I could do...finishing.

Just got information from the Viva Bike Vegas folks. 850 people started the Century (104 miler) this year, only 616 finished. So, nearly 30% of the riders didn't finish the century before the course closed. I officially got a DNF, cause the course was closed. I was in about 10hr 45 min or so. But who here cares about "official" anyways!! :rockon:

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Back
Top Bottom