Mysterious "purple spots"

TonyM

I have a client with new carpet that had 2 small light purple marks appear. I remember hearing about "marker dyes" or something like that .Anyone got an idea what these could be and how to remove them?Thanks

Name
I'm Rick James
TonyM said:
I have a client with new carpet that had 2 small light purple marks appear. I remember hearing about "marker dyes" or something like that .Anyone got an idea what these could be and how to remove them?Thanks

Those purple marks could be a million different things, if its even what she says it is. Does she have kids? We cant offer you advice on removing something that we dont know what it is. A pic would help aid in your removal of this spot. Basically we need more details.

Better fill out your profile before Walrus sees this....

TonyM

No kids and the carpet was just installed. I am going over to see it tomorrow so I dont have pictures yet.

G

Brent is right it could be anything,some guys use snap lines for installation so it could be chalk.maybe someone used a cleaner on a spill that they did not see.Best to take a damp cloth and dab it to see if color comes out at all,if not do a ph test.(a white cloth)

Name
I'm Rick James
Indicator dye is a light tint that’s put on carpet fiber to identify it during the manufacturing process. It is completely washed out during the initial rinse and prepparation of the carpet in the dying process. Only white yarn is marked with an indicator dye. Once this very light tint is rinsed from the carpet it’s gone - it has no further influenc in the coloration of the carpet.

It is impossible for indicator dye to discolor the carpet after it has been manufactured because there isn’t any of it left in the carpet. it is only applied very randomley and very lightly. It is not something that covers the entire yarn or carpet so there is no chance of ever seeing it in finished goods.

Any discoloration of carpet is going to be caused by the addition of a foreign substance (installers?) that imparts color onto the carpet or by something that strips color from the carpet such as an oxidizer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom