Mystery squeak

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I have a 99 Dodge Ram with a Hydramaster CDS machine.Recently a squeal developed that increased with higher RPMs.When I sprayed cleaning fluid onto the big drive belt that has the clutch for the machine, the squealing would go away.It did not matter where on the belt I would spray.So I had a shop replace the belt and it was good for a day.Now it is back and even the guys at LPM supplys in Spokane don't know what's causing it.They checked the belt and all the pulleys.Everything seems to be OK but it still squeals.It's really annoying.
Has anyone here had a problem like that?

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
LPM would have probably checked for that, it could be the belt had some sort of dressing put on it in the past, or possible antifreeze that has caused some residue creating a slight slip.....and the subsequent squeal.

Rex Tyus

or possible antifreeze that has caused some residue creating a slight slip.....and the subsequent squeal.

Excellent point. That happened to me once. I forgot about that. The water pump was leaking and dripping on the belt. Squeaked just liked described. Good info Kevin.

danpauselius

A glazed pulley can easily get past most TM mechanics. Just rough it up a little with some light sand paper.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I'll check out the pulleys and sand them.I hope that's all it is.I'm picking up my truck today after a whole lot of work was done to it.That's going to be expensive.
Freshwater tank install, new reels, new pressure lines, U joints, 205 thermostat install,Watersoftener new temperature throttle...a long list.2100.- ouch!!!
But the truck is set up and ready to work now and puts out 210 degrees heat.I guess that's pretty good for a CDS.
I'm exited,I'll be out there cleaning carpets pretty soon.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
danpauselius said:
A glazed pulley can easily get past most TM mechanics. Just rough it up a little with some light sand paper.

LPM Supplies current mechanics are some of the best I have ever dealt with. Some of the ones in the past were baffled by the smallest problem.

Macaulay23

Bob Foster said:
Check the PTO clutch - could be bearings.
It's not the bearings. If the sound went away when you squirt water on the belt, it's the belt. There has been a problem with the belt coatings. Switch to a Goodyear Gatorback belt. If that doesn't work, your clutch is misaligned.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Did you try the damn belt number I gave you? I have never had a clutch bearing failure on mine. Once again the Gatorback belt is recomended. I offered a possibility that the belt might be too big.

Kelly

Usually manufacturers of equipment use industrial grooved pulleys which are a little different than automotive pulleys (the groove is shaped differently). unless your machine uses a serpentine belt, I would check to make sure the belts you are using are the right type for the application. If its a serpentine belt, I would check and make sure that the belt is in the right grooves on every pulley. And if everything was as it should be tension, alignment, and the correct style of belt is being used....Id just spray it with a little white lithium grease from a can...and be done with it.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Roxy,
All of the pulleys and tensioners (and the water pump) were replaced just before you bought the unit, so none should give you any trouble for the rest of the time you use this truck. It could be possible that a pulley is not aligned, but this would only occur if someone had worked on the truck and put something back incorrectly.

Sometimes an aftermarket belt will stretch enough to slip even with a good tensioner, or an otherwise good looking belt can wear enough to make poor contact with the pulley grooves and need replacement. I think the Gatorback belt is worth a try, or you can see if you can get a Gates Green Stripe belt, which are thicker than standard belts and less prone to stretching.

PS: Do not spray lubricant on a drive belt! It will stop the squeak by allowing the belt to slip, which will lead to rapid failure.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
The pulleys are not adjustable on that engine, they are stationary, so alignment shouldn't be an issue. I think the belt might be worn or too large. I have the same machine and van. I gave him the correct belt number to try to solve the issue. I even told him how to replace it. It is possible to put the belt on different ways, so that could be the problem also. Check the diagram on the shroud to verify that.

Kelly

you know you could just let it squeek untill it breaks ...then youd have a better understanding of what was makin it squeek in the first place. the sad thing about working on truck mounts verses automotive is that most carpet cleaning people wont check the obvious and most simple stuff you suggest....while automotive people will at least check for stupid stuff first. At least thats the information that I personally have found to be mostly correct and true. Funny how people place a lesser value on the machine thats makin em money, than on that vehicle that they think they should be driving. LoL well ttfn

Back
Top Bottom