N00b Questions

AMmmarie

Name
Marie
Still in the process of getting my ducks in a row before starting and I've come across a couple questions I haven't cleared up yet, if you would be so kind (as I know so many of you are by reading the comments :p) :

1 - What's the proper disposal method for post extraction? I'm gonna be running portables to start (*gasp*) and it seems like it's okay at times to dump in a shower/bath if the house is on city sewer? What about septic, and then is dumping onsite a bad look (I honestly have no idea rn)? I've attempted to look up my city's (San Antonio, TX) ordinances, and maybe I'm not asking the search clearly, to get the right answer.

2 - What are the deciding factors in choosing a mechanic shop for maintenance and repairs? Are these guys networked in a way that maybe a cleaner elsewhere would know a recommended shop in my area? For the right, trustworthy shop I'd go as far as Austin.

Thanks in advance!

AMmmarie

Name
Marie
Qs Part 2 -

1 - Is it fine for the ac in the house to be running while cleaning?

2 - What are your opinions/experiences with deposits?

3 - Preferred payment system for cards?

Last edited:

AMmmarie

Name
Marie
Find a local distributor. I know there are multiple in SA. They probably work on porty’s some.
I'll check around! I'm not sure what to ask to know if they're good. Maybe it's apples and oranges but I hope it's not like the feeling of going to the car mechanic where they may say "whatever" to up charge.

Realistically, I'm not changing the oil in my car so it's unlikely I'm gonna be 100% working on my machines so I do need to find someone I can have a good relationship with.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

Still in the process of getting my ducks in a row before starting and I've come across a couple questions I haven't cleared up yet, if you would be so kind (as I know so many of you are by reading the comments :p) :

1 - What's the proper disposal method for post extraction? I'm gonna be running portables to start (*gasp*) and it seems like it's okay at times to dump in a shower/bath if the house is on city sewer? What about septic, and then is dumping onsite a bad look (I honestly have no idea rn)? I've attempted to look up my city's (San Antonio, TX) ordinances, and maybe I'm not asking the search clearly, to get the right answer.

2 - What are the deciding factors in choosing a mechanic shop for maintenance and repairs? Are these guys networked in a way that maybe a cleaner elsewhere would know a recommended shop in my area? For the right, trustworthy shop I'd go as far as Austin.

Thanks in advance!
You dump in the toilet only. You will clog drains dumping in the bathtub or sink. Use the bathtub for filling the machine with a 5 gallon pail. Often have to place a foam block under the pail to fill properly.

Reactions: AMmmarie

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
1 - What's the proper disposal method for post extraction?

sanitary sewer system
short of ground dumping (which is legal many places) Toilet is fastest, easiest and easiest to clean

2 - What are the deciding factors in choosing a mechanic shop for maintenance and repairs?

same factors as choosing a butcher, baker or candlestick maker
Honesty, integrity, knowledge and competency

In regards to PapaJohn's suggestion, If you have any mechanical aptitude, you can learn to maintain and repair if you choose. (Portys aren't all that complicated and wand valves are easy to rebuild, etc)
you'll save money and downtime while at a shop on things you can do yourself.

1 - Is it fine for the ac in the house to be running while cleaning?

yes
AC takes moisture out of air (aid in dry times)
Plus, no one wants you dripping sweat all over their floors:biggrin:

2 - What are your opinions/experiences with deposits?

deposit for what?

..L.T.A.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce

Thanks in advance!
If you poured waste water from a portable in anything other than a toilet you would leave a contaminated mess in their sink or bathing area. You want and need to dump in a toilet. No one has a problem with it. Lugging 5 to 20 gallons of waste water out and/or dumping on their yard isn't a consideration for me.

Let them know once they concur with the rest of your pre-inspection that you need to plug into 2 circuits, you'll need access to fresh water preferably hot, and that everything you use is biodegradable and septic safe "may I dump the waste water in your toilet", it's always a "yes no problem".

If you are going to rely on a local shop to repair your portable do understand that they are normally booked out for a week or two with repairs and you will likely be low on the list of their priorities (customers with rapport, big businesses, and truckmounts to keep running).

I recommend you get a backup portable after your first month or so from launching (if you're marketing well and get booked out several days) in case your equipment goes down so you either have time to repair your portable yourself, or you have time to wait while your local shop fixes it. Or just wait until your portable goes down and cancel bookings for a week or two. Once I got booked out I got a backup wand, backup portable, backup solution line, etc. redundancy of all the essentials. Even though money is tight it just made sense to me, maybe especially.

I like to have some kind of smaller vessel like a 3 gallon pale for filling out of kitchen sinks when there isn't a tub in the home or business. But always 5 gallon buckets for the bucket brigade. Filling from tubs straight to a 5 gallon bucket is preferable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolly Llama

AMmmarie

Name
Marie
sanitary sewer system
short of ground dumping (which is legal many places) Toilet is fastest, easiest and easiest to clean

same factors as choosing a butcher, baker or candlestick maker
Honesty, integrity, knowledge and competency

In regards to PapaJohn's suggestion, If you have any mechanical aptitude, you can learn to maintain and repair if you choose. (Portys aren't all that complicated and wand valves are easy to rebuild, etc)
you'll save money and downtime while at a shop on things you can do yourself.

yes
AC takes moisture out of air (aid in dry times)
Plus, no one wants you dripping sweat all over their floors:biggrin:

deposit for what?

..L.T.A.
Thanks! That's encouraging in the simplicity or porty mechanics.

For deposits, I have read a lot of people showing up to a job and no one being there. I didn't know if it was an issue best solved by a 2 or 3 day text and maybe a day of text or if a deposit of $20-$25 dollars would be an answer and then applied to the ticket. Unless it's really not as big of a deal or frequent as some people were making it out to be.

AMmmarie

Name
Marie
If you poured waste water from a portable in anything other than a toilet you would leave a contaminated mess in their sink or bathing area. You want and need to dump in a toilet. No one has a problem with it. Lugging 5 to 20 gallons of waste water out and/or dumping on their yard isn't a consideration for me.

Let them know once they concur with the rest of your pre-inspection that you need to plug into 2 circuits, you'll need access to fresh water preferably hot, and that everything you use is biodegradable and septic safe "may I dump the waste water in your toilet", it's always a "yes no problem".

If you are going to rely on a local shop to repair your portable do understand that they are normally booked out for a week or two with repairs and you will likely be low on the list of their priorities (customers with rapport, big businesses, and truckmounts to keep running).

I recommend you get a backup portable after your first month or so from launching (if you're marketing well and get booked out several days) in case your equipment goes down so you either have time to repair your portable yourself, or you have time to wait while your local shop fixes it. Or just wait until your portable goes down and cancel bookings for a week or two. Once I got booked out I got a backup wand, backup portable, backup solution line, etc. redundancy of all the essentials. Even though money is tight it just made sense to me, maybe especially.

I like to have some kind of smaller vessel like a 3 gallon pale for filling out of kitchen sinks when there isn't a tub in the home or business. But always 5 gallon buckets for the bucket brigade. Filling from tubs straight to a 5 gallon bucket is preferable.
Thank you!!

The point about the circuits brings up maybe the last thing I am nervous about. I have a small list of anxious questions about it but rather than rattling those off, is there anything to "know" you're doing the right thing when it comes to plugging in? As to avoid any damage especially, or even tripping?

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Thank you!!

The point about the circuits brings up maybe the last thing I am nervous about. I have a small list of anxious questions about it but rather than rattling those off, is there anything to "know" you're doing the right thing when it comes to plugging in? As to avoid any damage especially, or even tripping?
It depends on your portable setup. My PEX 500 wants 2 separate 20 amp circuits to be fully powered, which can occassionally be hard to find in a home. Kitchens and bathrooms are usually on 20 amp circuits, especially when you see GFCI outlets in them. However when I can only access one 20 amp circuit I run the pump and vacs off of that, and then plug the heater into a 15 amp circuit and turn it down to low which still heats pretty well.

Many other high performance portables only require 15 amp circuits for full power which does make life easier in some ways. But I go into 2 to 3 homes a day with the PEX 500 and everything is fine, we always work it out. And usually we run on two 20 amp circuits and have sweet capability with that machine. I might trip a circuit once a month. Not a big deal. Just get the homeowner unless they've left you alone in their home or you are already near the panel, reset the breaker and adjust where you're plugged in or how you are running the machine.

I think heat is very helpful, and if you work intelligently the vacuum power you sacrifice to have it in a portable will never be a problem. There is an indicator light that is on many portables that lights up when you're plugged into 2 different circuits, however I haven't found that to be reliable. You'll want some 2 prong plug adapters so you can still plug your machine in when you end up in a really old house with no ground.

• Love
Reactions: AMmmarie

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
Tip for the new guys and gals:

Stop using the word "waste" when you refer to the dirty water. It puts a negative picture in the customers mindset of what that water might be touching, even if it's goin in the toilet.

Instead use the phrase "water recovered after cleaning". They won't think it's toxic waste and will be more open to letting you dispose of it where you want to.

Some customers here are very picky about me disposing of my recovery water in their yard, but since I changed the wording, they're more chilled out about it

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The point about the circuits brings up maybe the last thing I am nervous abou

you WILL trip breakers with any porty worth a squat.
It's just a fact of life.
Know where the breaker box is before you start

You can minimize tripping breakers by finding separate 20amp circuits (as Bryce mentioned )
Besides kitchen and bath(as Bryce mentioned) laundry room will be 20 amp as well

..L.T.A.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I wouldn't let someone dump 100 gallons of filth water full of chemicals on my property. I wouldn't be a dik about it, but there's simply no way. It ought to and needs to go in a sewer, septic, or pit filled with stones in my opinion. I can't imagine being friendly and doing great work for someone then taking a 100 gallon dump of chem filth on their yard.

No disrespect to those that do it, to each their own way. I only hope that if I was on the customer end and kindly said "no", that I wouldn't be then deemed a Karen, arse, or whatever else.

By the way, for folks that don't take 100 gallon dumps on people's yards, how do you orchestrate that? Have locations mapped out where it can go into a sewer or whatever mid route? Are you able to gauge the amount of water used on a scheduled day and know if you'll need to in advance?

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
That’s why I say I don’t. I’m speaking of a portable. Are you dumping 100 gallons with your porty? If so, you need a tm. I usually dump my tm at my shop, in my yard, and porty’s in a slop sink. I am a janitor you know.

Reactions: Bryce C

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
I wouldn't let someone dump 100 gallons of filth water full of chemicals on my property. I wouldn't be a dik about it, but there's simply no way. It ought to and needs to go in a sewer, septic, or pit filled with stones in my opinion. I can't imagine being friendly and doing great work for someone then taking a 100 gallon dump of chem filth on their yard.

No disrespect to those that do it, to each their own way. I only hope that if I was on the customer end and kindly said "no", that I wouldn't be then deemed a Karen, arse, or whatever else.

By the way, for folks that don't take 100 gallon dumps on people's yards, how do you orchestrate that? Have locations mapped out where it can go into a sewer or whatever mid route? Are you able to gauge the amount of water used on a scheduled day and know if you'll need to in advance?
I've been flushing out my recovery tank in my yard for 20 + years and my grass loves it. When you get a truck mount, you'll have to dispose it in their yard if they don't have a septic pipe beside their house or take the water to a water recovery plant, which is not a good business decision.

Reactions: Bryce C

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

I'm lucky enough to have a sani-dump at my shop. If you own your own house, you can often rig one up to a sewer clean-out. I also have in-line auto pump outs I can use for larger jobs. Make sure you filter the lint.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
chem filth on their yard.

it's fertilizer ..for real

I think SS uses soaker type hoses...so the dump isn't a deluge.

when discrete ground dump can't be done, the car washes are hooked to sanitary.
Owner/manager might jump your azz ( I talked to the two in my area to make sure they didn't kick my azz)

also where job size required a drain or two to complete, we could run a 3/4" garden hose from pump-out to a sanitary inside (toilet to slop sink, whichever closer)
We generally did that on com where it ain't cool to dump on a parking lot

..L.T.A.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Are you dumping 100 gallons with your porty? If so, you need a tm.
No I dump probably 20 to 30 gallons on an average day. I do want a tm though. Will definitely have to work something out with this chem funk waste water business once I get one. Y'all are funny.

I'm lucky enough to have a sani-dump at my shop. If you own your own house, you can often rig one up to a sewer clean-out.
I like the sound of that. I'll probably do that once I do own a home. Thanks!

Reactions: Cleanworks

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
it's fertilizer ..for real

I think SS uses soaker type hoses...so the dump isn't a deluge.

when discrete ground dump can't be done, the car washes are hooked to sanitary.
Owner/manager might jump your azz ( I talked to the two in my area to make sure they didn't kick my azz)

also where job size required a drain or two to complete, we could run a 3/4" garden hose from pump-out to a sanitary inside (toilet to slop sink, whichever closer)
We generally did that on com where it ain't cool to dump on a parking lot

..L.T.A.
Fertilizer eh? That's interesting. Seems like fertilizer with baggage to me. Not worried about a deluge, more about what might build up in the soil and water on the property 😬

Good call when I get there I'll map out local businesses with hookups and have a chat with them. Love the use of the garden hose with a pumpout too.

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
Fertilizer eh? That's interesting. .
Phosphates and other nutrients in the recovery water that plants love.

The only time you don't want to dump in their yard is when you're using strong peroxide treatments on the carpet. It'll chemically burn the grass and you'll get a callback

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Phosphates and other nutrients in the recovery water that plants love.

The only time you don't want to dump in their yard is when you're using strong peroxide treatments on the carpet. It'll chemically burn the grass and you'll get a callback
I'm sure there are phosphates and other nutrients that plants love. Are you certain there isn't anything else in your "recovery" water that bioaccumulates in the soil on the property and has potential negative health impacts?

It's been said that our responsibilities outweigh our privileges.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Are you certain there isn't anything else in your "recovery" water that bioaccumulates in the soil on the property and has potential negative health impacts?

Bioaccumulation is a process of accumulation of chemicals in an organism that takes place if the rate of intake exceeds the rate of excretion. Chemicals are introduced into the organism through exposure to the abiotic environment (soil, water, air) or as dietary intake (trophic transfer).

what are the identified bioaccumulates in carpet nectar?

.L.T.A.

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
I'm sure there are phosphates and other nutrients that plants love. Are you certain there isn't anything else in your "recovery" water that bioaccumulates in the soil on the property and has potential negative health impacts?

It's been said that our responsibilities outweigh our privileges.
Bro,

Take some of your dirty water every week for the next 4 weeks and dump it in one area of your yard to answer your concerns. You’re looking at it too deep

I had only 1 complaint in the last 20years.
- I pulled out of this lady’s yard to dump my water on the side of this back dirt road, thinking that the water was gonna drain in the woods. I was wrong

A neighbor called me complaining that my water ran down his yard and he was fussing about my grey water needing to be drained in a water treatment plant. I was very apologetic and offered to flush his yard with clean water. It was a careless mistake I made because we should never dump our customers water into someone else’s yard. Lol

But besides that, if a customer doesn’t want it dumped in their yard , they’ll tell you a place to dispose of it nearby.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Bioaccumulation is a process of accumulation of chemicals in an organism that takes place if the rate of intake exceeds the rate of excretion. Chemicals are introduced into the organism through exposure to the abiotic environment (soil, water, air) or as dietary intake (trophic transfer).

what are the identified bioaccumulates in carpet nectar?

.L.T.A.
That definition fits soil quite well. Soil is a living organism that stores and consumes various compounds. When one dumps 100 gallons of waste water with dilute chemicals in it the water passes through the soil and much of the chemical contamination is filtered and caught in the upper several inches of the soil. What isn't broken down (which is plenty) builds up and gets into things. Part of the need for water testing especially in old industrial and farm zones. Maybe just as important where a carpet cleaner has been dumping their waste water in the same area for decades too.

What is in the carpet nectar Unc? A list of synthetic preservatives like DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, DMDM hydantoin, quaternion-15, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol/bronopol, and sodium hydroxymethylglycinate. Octylisothiazolinone just one of them is regarded by the EPA to be highly toxic to aquatic life causing endocrine disruption and developmental problems. Others slowly release formaldehyde, it's almost ad infinitum, sounds fun. Sure formaldehyde breaks down more readily than these other compounds but it is also highly toxic to anything that touches it before it does.

Then there are bad compounds like phthalates in synthetic fragrances. Residual forever chemical PFAS in synthetic surfactants and protectors, even the new gen PFBS fluorochemicals have been proven to cause the same problems as PFAS. Known carcinogenic biproducts of sulfate based surfactants like ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane. Napthalene, a carcinogenic solvent and deodorizer.

Anyways in my assessment that stuff belongs in septic or sewer. Calling it fertilizer and breezing by the rest is disingenuous in my book. To each their own though. I'm not here to ruffle feathers. If I don't revolutionize the industry in my life I'll at least change how I operate within it.

I had only 1 complaint in the last 20years.
I'm not worried about complaints. For me it's an ethical issue surrounding health. Regarding things growing, industrial agriculture has been growing bountiful crops and destroying the soil they grow in while adversely effecting people and the surrounding environment for decades. Increased growth isn't synonymous with benign.

Last edited:

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I use all that stuff, the more I learn and get equipped though the less I'll use it. For now I just use and dispose of it as wisely as possible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom