near catastrophe

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Couple weeks ago we put cabinets in a kitchen

I returned today to drop off microwave and dishwasher

It seems one of the property owners workers was doing some painting. ..he bumped the stove burner on on an unplugged elect ignition stove

By the way the unit smells it been pumping gas for days

Good thing I wuddnt smoking when I opened the door..

Or might of been flying to Fl early..

LTA

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't understand the electronic ignition. I fooled with my mothers last month, they had a pot boil over and it just kept clicking. My mother had me call the gas company, she wouldn't go to be until she knew there was no gas coming out. He thought the ignition would dry out in a few days but it didn't and we replaced it.

We had gas when we grew up it was easy to light and as fairly safe. I remember my younger brother David lighting a fire cracker on the stove running to the door to throw it only to have the door locked. He looked like a cat scrambling to get the door unlocked and it popped in his hand. I never laughed so hard, he was hurt but it was hilarious. :biggrin:

Name
Nate W.
I don't understand the electronic ignition. I fooled with my mothers last month, they had a pot boil over and it just kept clicking. My mother had me call the gas company, she wouldn't go to be until she knew there was no gas coming out. He thought the ignition would dry out in a few days but it didn't and we replaced it.

We had gas when we grew up it was easy to light and as fairly safe. I remember my younger brother David lighting a fire cracker on the stove running to the door to throw it only to have the door locked. He looked like a cat scrambling to get the door unlocked and it popped in his hand. I never laughed so hard, he was hurt but it was hilarious. :biggrin:

I would have tossed it to you for locking the door...... :rockon:

Damn Larry, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to fire places, furnaces, and any other heating..... We look forward to a/c.... I did have a old manager who used a space heater cuz the a/c was too cold by her desk.... Beyond what the rest of the nation says, 50 degrees is considered cold for us.... :headbang:

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Nate W.
Same brother lit a firecracker then turned an ran smack into a tree. Looked like a fookin cartoon. He fell flat and then it popped. My brother were always entertaining as we grew up! :biggrin:

You can't buy that entertainment...... I assume he's your younger brother, cuz it sounds like you put him up to it.... :lol:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm the oldest, then Dan, David, Luis.

Dan & I fought like dogs up until our teens. David & Luis were 10 & 12 years younger and they entertained us with their pain. :lol:

Luis would get hurt playing with the older kids in the neighborhood and lay there until David came out to help him up. He might be down for 10-15 minutes until David would get him. :oldrolleyes:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
You are very fortunate but what about pilot lights on furnace or boiler?

Furnace and water heater are in basement
and if i understand correctly, nat gas rises , propane sinks

It's been mild here and furnace is turned way down...so no blower running to circulate the gas to flame

suuuuuure!

actually, i know we weren't the last ones in the joint.
his alkie painter was...he had a shower curtain (his "drop cloth") draped over the new cabinets we installed
also a piece of drywall he was cutting he left on the STOVE

..L.T.A.

Name
Nate W.
Nope... I personally use a propane stove... Most places have electric... If it's a house and they want a gas stove, it's most likely propane....

http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/Arti...628/The-History-of-Natural-Gas-in-Hawaii.aspx

To clarify, we do not use natural gas in Hawaii. The primary distributer of hydrocarbon gas in the State of Hawaii is The Gas Company. It’s a utility regulated by the Hawaii State Public Utilities Commission (PUC). The Gas Company produces synthetic petroleum gas at its plant in Kapolei, Oahu, from naphtha feedstock purchased either from Tesoro Corporation or Chevron U.S.A., Inc. refineries.

In its refrigerated form, synthetic petroleum gas is known as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) as opposed to liquefied natural gas (LNG). In general, LPG is more expensive than LNG because it is manufactured from a distilled petroleum product, i.e., naphtha, incurring both an additional manufacturing cost and a higher input cost. In comparison, natural gas, as its name implies, occurs naturally in that form. LPG and LNG can be used interchangeably for home and industrial use.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
When my mother-in-law was undergoing chemo a couple years back, they stayed with us (they live out of town). I borrowed my dad's 30 foot fifth wheel so they could have some privacy. After a week or so, they told me they had run out of propane, so I took the tanks to be refilled.

What they didn't tell me (and I didn't think to check) was they had tried to light the stove and when it wouldn't, and they figured out there was no propane, they neglected to turn the burner back off.

I had the tanks refilled, hooked them up and went to work. They were not there at the time. The burner evidently vented propane ALL DAY, with doors and windows closed.

When I got home they still weren't there, so I went inside, intending to make sure everything was ready for them. A soon as I opened the door a wall of propane hit me and I instantly knew what had happened.

If I had gone in and turned on lights or something before I realized what was happening they would have only found pieces..... :eekk:

Name
Nate W.
Years ago we refilled 4 of our propane tanks... I had them bungee corded in the back of the van... My dad was driving at the time and one of the tanks valves turned on... This was before the safety valves were made... Filled the van of propane, I inhaled a lot of it while going in the back to turn it off.... I was 13yo I believe.... One of many things that made me a lil off..... :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom