need 12 employees in 2 weeks! help

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have a large cleaning project I have to do...... Its a 7 day project.

This is what I have done..........

Temp agency can give me the people, but they will pay then $7.25 an hour. and charge me a whooping $13 an hour! Thats crazy!

So i guess I am going to have to hire the poeple myself... I'm not wanting to do this, its going to be time consuming....

If i do hire some folks...... Do i have to put them on payroll? thats alot of paperwork. Or can i just do a contractor thing and not take out taxes?

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
I don't recall all the ins and outs but you might be able to treat them as casual labor. I think the limit is something like $600. Ask your accountant.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
thanks, so you are saying that if they are each paid under 600, i can put them on as a contractor? I no longer have an accountant!:) its all me now Whats casual labor?

Name
Lee Stockwell
My son Jason just flew in from Nicaragua for our annual August madness before MSU's fall enrollment. He's better than his old dad by far.

I'd HATE to hire chimps for this work, I prefer the "well-oiled machine" effect.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Joey..

If the job is that LARGE... :!:

You will probably be REQUIRED to provide PROOF...of workmans Comp... :idea:

The TEMP service is probably the BEST way to go... :!: COMP & taxes will be taken care of.:!:

Plus if you get 12 bodies & 5 of them SUCK....You can RE-LOAD with 5 fresh ones the
next day... :wink: It may take 3 days ...before you have a crew trained for production... :!:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
thats true harper, i have all my workers comp papers. its cleaning 145 empty apartments in one week.. not carpet cleaning, i have that handled. just maid service

joe harper

Name
joe harper
joeynbgky said:
thats true harper, i have all my workers comp papers. its cleaning 145 empty apartments in one week.. not carpet cleaning, i have that handled. just maid service

My BAD.... :oops:

I thought ...I was logged into a CARPET CLEANING FORUM... :roll:

:mrgreen:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
so, they wont make that much, so i dont have to worry about the paperwork, but can i legally use them as contractors? or should i put them on payroll?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
depends on how much pita you wanna go through...

I had a temp cleaning acct land on me, while they bid it out...

I simply told my people i will 1099 you if we dont get the contract and if we do then ill add you to payroll and all the shit (and it is shit) it intails...

so yes you are allowed up to $600 per person as casual labor...it DOES NOT fall under workmans comp...

so if you care to worry about that add that many to payroll

if not, pay them, and send them on there way...MOST wont care, and welcome the extra $$ (well 1 $) :lol: :lol: :lol:

for me in the end it wasnt worth the hasle to add 11 people to a payroll for 6 weeks, being as i havent used any of them since....but once added, then you have to do quarterlys etc....

hey i thought you had a sizable operation going???? And no accountant???

Name
Nate W.
Your local home depot should have a lot of guys looking for work..... $7.25 hourly is gold to them..... :twisted:

Uncle Chavez got connections.... :p

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Well, I figured i can handle the acocutning, its not hard. I just don't have much time. I have no office staff either just me. If i need help in the office one of my cleaning ladies will help. but its just me.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
You are probably going to have to run them through your payroll. If they are a sub contractor, they would have to provide you with a certificate of insurance. It is true at this point yet that you do not have to send a 1099 if it is below $600, but it is the insurance factor that will get you. Also, if you were audited for workmans comp, you would have to provide each subs copy of insurance that you have on file. Also, if one of your workers has an accident on site, they better again have the insurance certificate, or be on your payroll and under your insurance. Fines are really stiff. I would either run it through payroll or temp service them. I use a lot of part time help (via friends, retired teachers, ect) for my large smoke damage jobs. I do pay them quite well though ($20 t0 $25 per hour), but I know what I am getting for help and I have a lot less headaches than you $7.50 an hour off the street types. They also work really hard and are good with the clients. Just a better deal for me.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
is there a local VA admin near you?

they have a labor program available .
i used it years ago for project I needed laborers with.

i don't recall the exact details now, but it was a much better deal than temp services.
You tell them what you're paying and job description and the VA posts it for applicants .

You pay the VA and they take care of the rest (taxes, paperwork, workmans comp, yada yada)
The VA's cut was 15%
example, if you're paying the guy $10 an hour, you pay the VA $11.50

The bad part was, you had to provide transportation to and from the VA

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Uncle Chavez got connections.... :p
When we need temps in a hurry we pay premium for them and it's worth it.

You would not want those $7.50 hour guys, bite the bullet and pay at least $9.00 an hour. The agency will do background checks, save you all the wasted time of interviewing instead you'll be out working making money.

Be specific of what you want, motivated hard workers. We've even given a bonus to temps if they finish the project on time and meeting quality control standards.

If it's too much money, then ask for fewer people, pay them well, but drive them harder.

Temp Agency have people at all levels, the more you pay the better you get.

The other choice is to hire 3-4 of them at the higher rate and use them as your hard chargers and they drive the other 8-grunts and only pay the bonus to the 3-4 if the project gets done on time and to your satisfaction.
:wink:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
For a week's work just go with the temp agency. Have your regular employees supervise/ keep the materials flowing and cull out the losers.

Steve
SFS.JonDon.com

PS Or play with this idea: Tell the ones that you keep after the first day you will pay them a 2.00 per hour cash bonus on top of their temp wages IF they last the entire job and clean at least X number of apartments a day. Build this bonus into your bid= 4 days x 8 hours x 12 temps x 2.00 = 768.00. That isn't much on a job this size for some super motivated people. Heck- you might get done in three days!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It works, on our last big commercial fire they had to be there every day of the project to qualify for the $5.00 a day bonus and there work and attitude had to meet QC standards. Out of 24-temps 5-didn't make it though for the bonus, the rest worked hard and really were of great help.

Our guys did no physical work, they just managed and baby sat them at breaks and lunches and transport.

Spots2Stop

I posted an ad on craigslist for help wanted about 8 months ago and had 125 applicants apply on my website in less than 24 hours. Cost only $25.00

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
So I will have to put them on payroll, but do i need to take out the taxes? Or if they make under $600 I dont have to, right.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
joeynbgky said:
So I will have to put them on payroll, but do i need to take out the taxes? Or if they make under $600 I dont have to, right.
Joey, with all due respect have you already submitted a bid on this job? Are you going to make money on it? If you are going to be running 12 employees for a week that comes in at 480 man hours which I would assume is going to be a very nice and profitable job. If so, why do you need to do it so cheap as in not using the temp agency (much less headaches) or at the very least spending a few bucks on an accountant? (Which will prevent some really BIG headaches down the road.)

Steve
SFS.JonDon.com

PS You already know what Richard and I would do- hire the temps- pay the 13 bucks an hour and then bonus the good ones. Done with virtually no paperwork and headaches! OR you can nickel and dime this thing and "save" MAYBE (after all your additional payroll overhead) two or three bucks an hour which works out 1,500 bucks tops. So if you want the headaches of interviewing and hiring 12 people for a one week job plus all the payroll hassles for 1500 dollars go for it! We all make choices ...

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Bruce Humphrey said:
joeynbgky said:
If you have to ask then you need an accountant.

DUHHHHHH

LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom