Need a Camera

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I need to get a small camera that is good for taking before / after pics with a good video feature to take short videos. I could spend hours looking at all the options. I am not a camera nut, so I don't really know one from another. I am unlearned in this area.

I would prefer to buy something from Sams or Costco based on their warranty and return policy. Budget is around $400.

TIA :confusedd:

Becker

Name
Becker
Just buy the fujifilm XP water shock dust and freeze poof. I just leave min in my briefcase, but find my iphone works perfectly fine most of the time.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Do some research on Panasonic cameras. They've done some great stuff. Especially models that are direct crossover models with Leica (they're in a partnership with Leica). Leica has a long history of making some of the finest and most costly cameras in the world. They have amazing lenses! Well Panasonic has become the partner for Leica to help them bridge into digital. And the partnership has worked well for both companies (just read the reviews).

Here's a photo that I took this evening with a Panasonic FZ200 (same exact cameral as the Leica VLUX4 - except for that it costs hundreds less). I was standing about 25 feet from this bird.

View attachment 3216

BTW the video that this camera takes is very good too. Here's a recent example of a very basic video that we shot at the office showing the LowBoy with our new spray system. Video quality is good as you can see, even though it's been scaled for YouTube. Keep in mind, we are NOT video experts by any measure.

[video=youtube_share;J5b1vpVbKFo]http://youtu.be/J5b1vpVbKFo[/video]

Last edited:
Reactions: boazcan

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Cheap little cannon sure shot is what I have used for almost every picture on here...good little camera...take great pics..does good videos ....easy to use....

do a search for".......your viewing pleasure....

some of them are still there

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Most current smartphones have cameras sufficient for before and after pics. Don't underestimate them along with their ability to easily share on the fly. I've used the Samsung Galaxy S3 and 4 and am now back to iPhone 5. All take good before and afters. If you are looking to step it up a little, check out the Galaxy Camera from Samsung. It connects to the internet using wifi which would give you those great sharing capabilities. These recommendations are coming from someone who detests sitting at a computer so take it for what it's worth.

The Clean Machine

Reactions: Mikey P

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Good tip Rick. That tz40 seems to do everything. Ive been trying to decide on a dslr for animal pics for the coming winter but that thing has me wondering.

Dr Vapeur

Supportive Member
Name
Richard Gagne
Try and get a camera with ordinary batteries, ie AA or AAA, not proprietory. You will love it when the camera's batteries die and all you have to do is go to the local store.
RG

Reactions: Derek

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I need to get a small camera that is good for taking before / after pics with a good video feature to take short videos. I could spend hours looking at all the options. I am not a camera nut, so I don't really know one from another. I am unlearned in this area.

I would prefer to buy something from Sams or Costco based on their warranty and return policy. Budget is around $400.

TIA :confusedd:
You should look on Newegg.com. I bought one refurbished two years ago for $50. I can post before and after pics and short videos that can go on Photobucket. They now have new ones for from $38 on up to $4 million or whatever the camera weirdos will pay.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Most phones are fine for before/afters.

For video, I want to eventually find a mountable camera that is easily affixed to a wand in different positions.
I have found that trying to film and wand by yourself is not that easy as it seems, and it usually results in shitty quality, jumpy videos.

I have seen some cool bike cameras that mount on the handlebars, but might have trouble finding one with a clamp mount capable of fitting a 2" tube.
A lot of cool helmet cams available also, but for this application, it's all about the mount.

Many cameras have a female thread adapter on the underside for attaching to tri-pods and other mounts, so possibly just a compatible mount can be found.

That would make for some cool video's........:rockon:

Last edited:

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Most phones are fine for before/afters.

For video, I want to eventually find a mountable camera that is easily affixed to a wand in different positions.
I have found that trying to film and wand by yourself is not that easy as it seems, and it usually results in shitty quality, jumpy videos.

I have seen some cool bike cameras that mount on the handlebars, but might have trouble finding one with a clamp mount capable of fitting a 2" tube.
A lot of cool helmet cams available also, but for this application, it's all about the mount.

Many cameras have a female thread adapter on the underside for attaching to tri-pods and other mounts, so possibly just a compatible mount can be found.

That would make for some cool video's........:rockon:

We just did some video with a go pro this weekend. We strapped it to the top of cimex while scrubbing tile and on the bars of the turbo. Cant wait to see how it comes out.

BTW, thanks for all the great info. I will be on it as soon as we catch our breath over here. I think my area just figured out November starts Friday.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Get an iPhone dude

e5yqe7e9.jpg

Reactions: Russ T. and Derek

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yea Frank,
Bryan is right the "go pro" thing does just what you want.

I also have a really nice panasonic lumix, work very well.

If your not a "camera nut" just spend a hundred bucks, that's more than enough. 400 bucks could get you a kick ass camera, that you don't need!

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
Have had really good luck with canons
u can buy 2 for 400
have a Panasonic also very good
but I like my canons

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'd agree with Dr. V and Jerry.

ANY camera that costs over $150 will be better than almost any phone cam (maybe the exception being the new Nokias) since they'll have an actual precision lens and aren't trying to be 70 things at once. With an inexpensive camera, it just does one thing really well, and you don't have to worry about it living in a gear bag or getting lost or damaged - it just didn't cost all that much.

And you won't have to spend half of everyday looking for an outlet to recharge it. The Sanyo Eneloop AAs in my Canon need a recharge about once a year.

Reactions: boazcan
Back
Top Bottom