Need Feedback on Soft Fibers

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Next Tuesday I am the dinner speaker for the Milwaukee, Wisconsin World Floorcovering Association (WFCA). This will be a meeting of local flooring dealers, distributors and maybe a few mill reps.

I am focusing on SmartStrand Silk, Shaw Caress, StainMaster TruSoft and the huge growth of polyester PET. Other than the crap that is being installed in apartment complexes what has been your experience in homes with any of these carpets?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

hogjowl

Idiot™
They are a pita to vacuum, unless you have an adjustable height vacuum head.

They still have wear issues, just not quite as bad as PET.

I have had a couple of occasions where there was an unexplained odor post cleaning, so I now clean all of them using Microban Cleaner. I wonder if the corn fiber is stinking when it gets wet?

Tell them for me, that I REALLY wish they would do two things:

1) Start putting pressure on the mills to stop focusing on low price goods and put more of their focus on quality made products. And, as a side note, stop "testing" their products with whatever testing system/equipment they are currently using. I would like their advertised performance to match our real world experiences. I don't want them to kill the carpet industry TOTALLY DEAD. They've destroyed much of it already.

2) Ask them to put pressure on the mills to collectively establish regional installation schools. SCHOOLS, not seminars! And, insist on certified installers or their warranties will be void! Every time I go into a home with the carpet wrinkled up all over the floor and the seams coming unglued, I cringe at the thought that that particular customer will elect to go with wood next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinL

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I thought it was an elephant pen?

No matter ... either way it was stupid.

Marty,

From the reviews on SmartStrand most complaints are about vacuuming. I think the installation problems are industry wide and not fiber or mill specific. Thanks for your input.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Bill:

If you are laser focused on vacuuming issues, because "most complaints" are related to that issue, why did you ask us about our experiences? You could simply have told us you were going to speak about vacuuming issues with SmartStrand and other carpets.

Wear is an issue with the fiber, not matter what they are telling you.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Bill:

If you are laser focused on vacuuming issues, because "most complaints" are related to that issue, why did you ask us about our experiences? You could simply have told us you were going to speak about vacuuming issues with SmartStrand and other carpets.

Wear is an issue with the fiber, not matter what they are telling you.

If you look at the reviews it is the #1 complaint. I am asking this august body because you are cleaners not consumers and will give me a different opinion.

Vacuuming is more of an issue on the SS Silk and the new soft nylons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom