Need help/advice... Boxxer 421 blower leaking oil from shaft

I just had a boxxer 427 up and die on me which is not uncommon.... we all know that that machine was and is the black eye of Hydramaster. So anyway, I found a gentleman out in austin texas that had a nice used van/machine (boxxer 421) combo for sale. He assured me that the machine and van were solid as a rock and that he only purchased new equipment because he needed a new write off.... The machine has 2300 hours on it and is so clean you could eat off it. His service center vouched for him and his equipment, so I took a gamble and flew to austin from charlotte, nc this past thursday and picked up the van and machine. I have had customers waiting on me so I wasted no time getting back to work today.... well after my first job I realize that there is oil leaking from around the front shaft on the blower... it isn't pouring out, it is more of a drip drip drip.... I called the guy and told him about it and of course he told me that he never had any problems with it and that maybe it was because it has been sitting for 8 weeks and that perhaps the seal had dried up. It seems like an awfully strange coincidence, but I would like to think that the guy didn't see me coming like a sucker.... anyway, I'm a little sick to my stomach tonight after all the money that I spent and flying out to austin and 21 hour drive back home and I was hoping someone on this forum could give me a little advice on how to get this thing fixed and what it will entail? I've already been out of business too long and my customers are not going to wait on me forever. Thanks for any input. -Sean

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Re: Need help/advice... Boxxer 421 blower leaking oil from s

Supercleansean said:
well after my first job I realize that there is oil leaking from around the front shaft on the blower...
it isn't pouring out, it is more of a drip drip drip....

I've already been out of business too long and my customers are not going to wait on me forever. Thanks for any input. -Sean

I don't know what's involved in changing a blower shaft seal.
It's probably not an expensive part...but have no clue what kind of labor time

i personally wouldn't shut down over a blower seal drip though .
Think I'd make plans to get fixed , but if the leak isn't bad or doesn't get much worse, I'd simply add oil as needed and run til the scheduled repair date

how much oil are you losing in a 5 machine hour day?
Enough that it goes below the sight glass window in a day?

..L.T.A.

I don't know how much oil I would lose in a 5 hour day... I have only done the one 1/2 hour job and it leaked a good a good little bit of oil out.... I watched it, & it was a steady drip. I read on another forum where a guy put an ounce of lucas oil stop leak in his blower and it worked. I wonder if it is safe to add this to my blower oil???

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Supercleansean said:
I wonder if it is safe to add this to my blower oil???

donno if it would help a cracked/torn seal , but I don't reckon seal conditioner additives could hurt anything .

is there a vent plug on your blower?
and if so, is it working properly?

..L.T.A.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael

It should be pretty easy fix. I found a local guy to check my 21 horse Briggs and he changed out the front seal in about thirty minutes in his driveway.

Just make sure to go ahead on monday and order the part. You will need engine model, type and code.

On the Briggs we took off the front cowling or fan shroud. Then removed the fan assembly and seal was accessible.

Once seal is accessible it is very easy to change.

I think the briggs would be a much easier fix, this however is the seal on the tuthill blower that is leaking... I think it is going to be much more labor intensive than if it was on the front of the motor, right?

Name
Lee Stockwell

Supercleansean said:
I think the briggs would be a much easier fix, this however is the seal on the tuthill blower that is leaking... I think it is going to be much more labor intensive than if it was on the front of the motor, right?
Yes.

Remove belts, and pulley. Then remove front seal cover and pull/replace seal.

Carefully.

Jay D

Name
Jay D

Thats a oil bath blower on both seals and is problematic to that hydramaster proprietary($2800) blower. I have read and heard it has a tendency to leak. Lucas engine stop leak works great in engines, It might be worth a try in your blower. Your seller knew about the leak. -sniff

I think they knew about it also, it seems awfully coincidental that it starts leaking on my very first job. Let the buyer beware, I suppose... I guess I will just b very vigilant about always keeping the oil level full until I can afford to have it fixed...

Name
BradFenstermaker

Give Tuthill service department a call, they will advise you on how to do it yourself if it can be done easily. Ask for Brent.

http://www.tuthillvacuumblower.com/inde ... ontact-us/

The seal can be picked up at motion industry or any bearing shop locally
Never worked on a splash blower but you should be able to use some picks or small hooks and pull the outer shaft seal to replace. Hopefully its not the inner seal.

You can still do inner but the blower will have to come out of the TM.

cleann4kids

Cleansource can fix it its only a $350 repair
pretty common on the boxer to have that at least every 500 hours or so

all sellers are lyers and
all buyers are thives!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom