Need Roots 45 Blower expert

Jamesh921

Name
James
I used my Powermatic all day Wednesday with no problems. When I tried to fire it up for my first appt. this morning, the blower was locked up. I broke it loose, but the starter can barely turn it. It's tight. Is this just a bad bearing or could it be more serious? The blower only has 1100 hours on it. I grease it regularly and spray WD40 in the blower inlet every day. It has an anti-overflow switch, so it's never been overflowed with water. Heck, I haven't even filled the waste tank to the top in a couple of months. Anyway, i just don't understand why the bearing would go out "all of a sudden".

Also, could one of you experts talk me through a rebuild or is it too involved?

Thanks,
James

Name
Lee Stockwell
Bearing would have howled before seizing it seems.

Make sure bearings were not dry, you can remove end cover to check race and rollers. Loosen end plate to check for interference.

You still have the backup EZ? (with the 25yr old 45)

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Jamesh921 said:
I grease it regularly and spray WD40 in the blower inlet every day.

I'm not an expert, but isn't the drive end greased bearings and the timing end an oil bath? You mention regular greasing, but do you check/change the oil on the other end? Have you noticed any oil puddles lately?

Jamesh921

Name
James
Sold the EZ years ago when I bought the Powermatic.

Went to buy blower oil last week but hadn't changed it yet. Wish I would have. I might've noticed a problem while changing it. But, it's too late now. Gotta figure out how to fix the problem I have now.

James

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I'm just sayin, could be either end. I'd first pop off the piping to be sure you didn't ingest a rag or something. Since you have greased regular, maybe check the gear end first. Drain the oil, if little or none drains out suspect that end. Might minimize your teardown. Hope it's not too major.

G

George V

I'd probably remove the filter(s) and run a garden hose, turn the mahcine on, and flush that blower out real good for about 5 minutes with fresh water.

Maybe figure out a way to mix a little degreaser in the flush.

Afterwards, WD the heck out of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom