Need some help ...

danpauselius

I'm trying to put some additional value in the marketing room. I think that most here would agree that marketing is THE biggest issue for newbies and definitely a big one for all of us.

I'd like to get 5-10 people who are well educated on marketing tactics and theory to write a once-per-week article that will be placed in the marketing room. The responsibility will be on a rotating schedule, so each person will write once every 5-10 weeks. (Don't want to overload anyone)

I think this would be a great opportunity to add value to that room, help other board members and get some practice if you aspire to be an ICS/Cleanfax columnist.

I would ask that anybody who is interested PM me to discuss further.

Thank you,
Dan Pauselius

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
please do . im crap at that stuff and could really do with the help. plus i talk funny so the written word is better for the dumb yanks and lots of pic,s too that makes it real easy for them

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
do you have a format of subject matter or just what people do? Do you want an editorial

Trevor Truitt

Since you made it a "sticky", I've been thinking of putting together a semi-comprehensive guide to print media marketing for new guys.

Remind me next week and I'll get going on it.

PS Actually, it won't be just for new guys, it will include some stuff that most posters on the boards have missed.

PPS I'd like to see a new thread about books. A complete list of every book that is worth the $6 used amazon price that I should read instead of watching simpsons reruns. Make that one a sticky or marketing room only thread and I think that would be a valuable resource.

Scott

I'd love to participate in the Book of the Week advisory club.

Read once and reading again: The 4-Hour Work Week. Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferris.

It's a fascinating look at outsourcing life and how average Joes are even taking advantage of outsourcing so they can work on more important things, or just enjoy the time off in exchange for a small fee.

Scott

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
I'll order the "Four Hour work Week", Scott.

And Dan, your idea is great ... in theory! Writing is HARD work. (I know.) The reality is I think it will be a challenge to maintain your submission rate.

However, Trevor's idea on the "suggested reading" room or whatever is great. And a lot easier than a marketing article. Maybe if people could do like Scott did and not just post a title but also a brief synopsis.

Steve

PS I'll throw something into the Suggested Reading Ring. There has been a lot of buzz lately on a little book (only 150 pages and the print is "Alabama sized" for our porkly friends from down south) called , "The Dream Manager" by Matthew Kelly. This is a true story (the company is actually a client of Jon-Don's) of a large 500 employee janitorial service that cut their employee turnover by over 90% and how they did it. The application will be obvious for those of you who are building your business with employees. I plan to incorporate some of the Dream Manager philosophy into our SFS seminar. You can read this book in one evening and I suggest you do so. (Marty may take a little longer.)

TimP

I'm all for the marketing help. What I'd like to see is where to go to get the best marketing materials like door hangers, post cards, fliers, news letters, business cards, and brochures to leave customers and for me to give to my family's carpet customers. It would be nice to have already made up stuff so we don't have to sit and think about how to lay it out and what we want to put in it. Kind of a generic everything, or at least different lay outs and options since we all offer different levels of service.

I'd also love the advice and some how to guides to boost your company in your area and other areas etc. I agree that this is the biggest problem for us cleaners. For the most part we are cleaners and good ones at that but we need to be good marketers too and that's where we are lacking.

danpauselius

Maybe we could just have running threads on particular subjects. I don't expect to keep the "article submission" thing going long term ... as Steve mentioned, it's not easy work. But I would like to start these threads with an article that pertains to the subject. After that, people can add info on the subject if they'd like.

A thread that covers different sources for printing is a good idea. I think that one would require input from alot of different people.

p.s. The idea here is to grow the marketing room into a JP/HP/SFS type resource so members don't necessarily have to shell out big bucks to get started. With all the experience on this board, I'm SURE we can make this happen.

-JB-

Name
JB
Dan you are a dangerous man! I like that about you, NEVER say NEVER!

G

Dan,you're making about a thousand friends real fast,and 4 or 5 enemies instantly(the ones making a living selling the info).

danpauselius

Stevie b:

I know, I thought about that earlier. The only guys I'd really worry about upsetting are the SFS guys. But I know that we will not even approach the level of training they give. I couldn't care less about the other guys out there selling their "Secrets".

The idea is NOT to eliminate the need for "Marketing Gurus", but rather to give the new guys (and some that are not so new), who can't swing the bread for a marketing package, the critical info to get them on a solid marketing foundation. Once they're up and running and making money, I would encourage them to seek out higher education on the subject. After all, we're just a bunch of carpet cleaners ... right?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
That's right, Pauselius. You sneaky booger! You are trying to put me in competition with myself!

Island Boy

PS Actually I am fine with it, buddy. As you say, no BB (not even this one) can match what we can cram into a five day experience. Not too mention the networking and emotional support that our SFS attendees share. Maybe all this marketing info will put Yeadon's feet to the fire and he'll come up with some ORIGINAL idears. (I stuck the "r" in ideas in honor of our new Bird Room boss.)

PPS "Just a bunch of carpet cleaners' Dan? You know me too well to minimize the respect I have for the wisdom of the man or woman down in the trenches. After all, I too are a carpet cleaner.

danpauselius

Even if we did somehow manage to get on a competitive level with SFS (Ha ... that's gonna happen, LOL) I'd have to mail lunch to every member of the board and then buy them dinner once a week. You KNOW that's not gonna happen.

We seek not your throne King Toburen, spare us our lives, LOL

p.s. Seriously, as I said, the goal is to give just enough info about marketing so members of this board will stop making basic mistakes with their marketing. There's nothing worse than signing a 1 year contract with Yellow Pages and then having a bad ad to boot.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
book reviews

Dan,
I would be glad to post some of the better books that should be read by anyone that wants to improve their marketing.

Besides someone needs to keep an eye on Mr. T.

I know Mikey would like to hear about my review of Neil Youngs biography "Shakey". No Steve that is not a manual on how to run an oscillating pad.

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
I would be glad too,

Book #1 Shut Up, Quit Wining, & Get A Life by LARRY WINGET
(THE PIT BULL OF PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT!!)
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Now Discover Your Strengths By MARCUS BUCKINGHAM, AND
DONALD O CLIFTON )

2 Books that Changed my Life!!!

All The Best, Rob

Mikey P

Administrator
Bill.

Please do post your faves. And a short book report as well.

As well as any articles you do mind sharing that wont get you in trouble with the big Kahuna.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Rob

I agree with Rob on the whole series of Gallup Books. Here is a review of a few in the series taken from a past SFS newsletter.

Let’s listen in on a phone conversation: Good morning this is Global Carpet Cleaning, how can I help you? This is Mrs. Piffleton and I have company coming Saturday unexpectedly. I need my whole house and several pieces of upholstery cleaned as soon as possible. I don’t need an estimate I just need it cleaned. Well Mrs. Piffleton I am sorry but we don’t have any openings for three weeks. My tech left last week and is working at the new Starbucks on Meridian Street and I am doing all the work myself.

This may seem like a pipe dream but unfortunately it is an all-too-common occurrence. Many multi truck companies have shrunk down to one truck due to a lack of technicians. Finding good employees is the main deterrent to growth today. Unemployment is at record lows and the demographics (people 50+) are swelling in our service market while shrinking in our labor pool (under 30.)

It is time to learn how to recruit, train, energize, and retain quality people. Fortunately there are several good books that have studied this problem and developed solutions for those who will implement. If you are not strong in the implementation department picture yourself pushing a wand at sixty years old.

The Gallup organization has been doing interviews with people for over 50 years. Their series of books are based on a tremendous amount of data.

The first book First Break All the Rules: How Great Managers Do Things Differently, Marcus Buckingham, Curt Coffman was published in 1999. This book was culled from 80,000 interviews with supervisors and managers from small companies to Fortune 500 companies. The title came from findings that were contrary to many long-held viewpoints concerning supervision and training. From these interviews they boiled down the most important criteria to 12 statements, which they refer to as the Q 12.

While the statements seem rather simplistic they get to the heart of employee satisfaction.

1. I know what is expected of me at work.
2. I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right.
3. At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.
4. In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work.
5. My supervisor, or someone at work, seems to care about me as a person.
6. There is someone at work who encourages my development.
7. At work my opinions seem to count.
8. The mission or purpose of my company makes me feel my job is important.
9. My associates or fellow employees are committed to doing quality work.
10. I have a best friend at work.
11. In the last 6 months, someone at work has talked to me about my progress.
12. This last year, I have had opportunities to learn and grow at work.

The book spends a great deal of time explaining the reasons for these 12 statements. I like the idea that much of the material dovetails nicely into my favorite book of the past ten years Good to Great by Jim Collins.

The section detailing how to select employees is summed up in 4 steps:

1. Select for talent (not experience or intelligence).
2. Define the right outcomes (not the steps).
3. Focus on strengths (don't try to work on weaknesses).
4. Find the right fit (don't keep promoting people out of positions they're strongest in).

Key discussions are on the distinctions between skills, knowledge, and talent. Skills and knowledge can be taught, talent is something innate.

2001 brought Now, Discover Your Strengths, Marcus Buckingham, and Donald O. Clifton.
This book fully describes 34 positive personality themes the two authors have formulated (such as Achiever, Developer, Learner, and Maximizer) and explains how to build a "strengths-based organization" by capitalizing on the fact that such traits are already present among those within it. Most original and potentially most revealing, however, is a Web-based interactive component that allows readers to complete a questionnaire developed by the Gallup Organization and instantly discover their own top-five inborn talents.
The downside to this could be that employees learn that their strengths are not being used in their current positions. If this is true they are not helping you anyway or as the Gallup people refer to this situation, they are not fully engaged.
Amazon chose this book as one of 2001’s best books.
March 2003, Discover Your Sales Strengths: How the World’s Greatest Salespeople Develop Winning Careers, Benson Smith & Tony Rutigliano
Sales Strengths is a continuation of using the 34 themes. The difference is this one deals with how your particular strengths or talents can be used effectively in sales.
My favorite section was the great sales myths. The talents that make great sales professionals are not gender, race, or age specific. I was really relieved to read, “we can find no evidence to support the notion that the best-looking people sell the most.”
The myths included:
Education, half of the Forbes 400 CEO’s did not graduate from college. Most of the best performers did not achieve high grade point averages in college.
Experience, Gallup rarely found a strong correlation between experience and results.
The good salesperson can sell anything; because you are a technical person does not mean selling technical products is a natural
The right sales approach; everyone has a different sales approach that is right for him or her.
Training, you can take art lessons for years but you will never become Rembrandt unless you have artistic talent. Training helps those with inherent strengths and the right fit much more than it helps poor performers.
Relationships, I had a tough time with this one but after reading the material I understood. Dale Carnegie wrote his famous book How to Win Friends and Influence People 75 years ago. The second half of the title is worth considerable attention. The best salespeople influence others….they don’t just make friends.
Money, money is important to everyone at some level, but no one reward is equally important to everyone in any profession. Motivation may come from areas other than money.
Desire, motivation is critical to excellent performance, but it alone is not enough. Society sends the message that people can do anything they want to do as long as they are willing to work hard and make it happen. It just isn’t true or we would all be professional athletes.
Each of these myths led back to the same idea. Your underlying strengths are much more relevant than your education or your experience. If you understand and develop your strengths you will be happier and more productive.
The managers also have two myths to deal with.
1. Anyone can manage
2. Our best salespeople are likely to be our most effective sales managers.
The sales manager’s score on the Q12 is critical to the success of the people who they manage. Sales managers who did a better job on the Q12 achieved a 56% higher attainment of customer loyalty. They also achieved 38% higher results in productivity and 27% higher results in profitability and had 50% lower turnover rates.
While many people feel that the CEO and other senior management establish the company culture, the data shows that managers create their own cultures within their work groups.

In 2005 Marcus Buckingham jumped back into the fray with The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
While some of this book builds on the research from the original First Break All the Rules it seems to get to the heart of the matter faster. My favorite saying is great managers play chess while average managers play checkers. In checkers every piece is alike and all move the same. Chess pieces are all unique and move in a unique fashion.
Leaders are different from managers. Leaders look at the overall goals of the company and try to move the entire workforce. Managers tend to be sharpshooters challenging each person to excel in their own way using their particular strengths. Great managers don’t try to change a person’s style. They don’t tell Tom to be more like Fred
To find out what your techs strength is ask what his best day on the truck was. Not necessarily his highest grossing day but the day he felt best. For his weakness do the opposite and ask which day he felt most uncomfortable.
Finally while you may think that money is the greatest motivator it is actually recognition. It is your job to find out how they like to receive recognition. They still require a decent salary but recognition will keep your stars happy.
So if you want to guarantee that your life will not be spent on the end of the wand take a look at the findings in these books. Gallup the company has spent more money than we will ever see determining what a great manager does to find those engaged employees and how to keep them engaged. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel just implement proven techniques.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom