New Bissell Cyclonic Vacuum. No filters. Larry Cap?

B Steinbach

I just bought a Bissell Cyclonic Momentum. It is like the powerforce models Larry Capitoni has recommended for years, but with no filters to clean -- which IMO is a bit of a pita with the older Bissell's. It is also HEPA, and comes with a handy little turbo tool for stairs or upholstery, all for $100 or less ($100 regular price, I paid $70 on sale).

I like the powerforce vacs that I bought very cheap on Larry's recommendation - thank you Larry! I have 3 of them, along with a Sanitaire. But keeping the filters clean on the Bissell's is a bit of a hassle. They clean great, and have been very reliable. And I like that for the $50 or $60 price tag they are expendable (even though I still have my original blue model which I just can't seem to kill).

This new model is an ugly brown color, but it cleans great, and did I mention there are no filters to clean!?!?

It is not perfect. The beater bar cannot be turned off to do stairs or upholstery, the cord is a bit awkward, and I'm sure I will find a few other things that are annoying. But for the price, so far I like it. It seems to be modeled after the Dyson.

Anyone else try one of these yet? I have only used it for about a week. Any other new vacuums out there that are comparable?

Mikey P

Administrator
I see exhaust filters and a motor filter only.

Cool.

3910.jpg

Greenie

Hepa to me always meant potential reduced vacuum, eventually it gets dirty, and then it's junk, you'll end up pitching it. As long as the vac is not blowing dust clouds into the air, I'm ok with the non-hepa.

The motor filter is no biggie, clean it once a week, so that is a wash.

As for the "regular" filter in the old dust cup, it will need cleaning every day or two, but that is just easily done in the sink or hose under running water, then wrapped it in paper or terry towels and squeezed dry, put it back together for the next day, I don't thin it's that big of a deal cause you have to clean the actual plastic parts every so often as it is.

One thing I don't like and always kinda wondered on any vac where the suction is ducted through the hose is, how much better would the floor suction be if it wasn't running through 12" of wire reinforced hose?
Shouldn't there be a valve at the base of the hose to turn on the accessory vacuum and divert suction, wouldn't it be better at the floor?

B Steinbach

Thanks for posting the pic Mike!

Your right Lisa, there are a couple filters. Like mike pointed out, there is a filter at the output side for the HEPA, and one at the input of the motor. What I like is none of the dust cup filters like the powerforce models had that seemed to need washing/cleaning few days - and sometimes every couple jobs.

As far as HEPA and lost vacuum, I have also avoided the HEPA filtered models in the past assuming that HEPA automatically meant reduced vacuum.
This model seems to have great vacuum (at least while new), and like you said Jeff, I was thinking I could always remove the HEPA filter.

Jeff, that's a good idea to simply have a valve at the base to eliminate the hose when it is not needed. I do like the longer hose on this model compared to the powerforce models.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
My wife bought one for the house and yes it does have a motor filter on it that you have to wash out once in a while and a hepa that will eventually clog and restrict airflow and need to be replaced.
It also has a very aggressive brush.
When I or the kids vacuum the house we always go out to the truck and grab a 16"or 17" sanitaire or powrflite.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
my.my ..my...........

mention the word Dyson and you can wake most sleeping cleaners taking a nap on the couch..................

so what the difference..............

dyson.jpg

the everyday house wife can have Bissell Cyclonic Momentum sitting in her closet just as easy as having a Dyson......

I have had mine now for almost 2.5 years and it never lets me down.....
pull it out of the truck 3 to 4 times a day 5 to 6 days a week.
blow out the filters every other month with no problems....

Flex hose is tucked away and does not flop around and when extended I can go up 16 stairs with it.........

you can shut the beater bar off and vacuum tile or if you want to use it to vacuum UPH or stairs with the attachments it....automatically shut the bar off by itself.......when stood upright......

now it did cost more then yours but I will be willing to bet it out last it.............

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
but a pile lifter doesn't............

and a rug doctor will out clean all of our machines......

and Mike wears a size 8 shoe.......

ok.................

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Thanks for the heads up, Bryon!

The vac on the van is getting ugly.
I'll be replacing it before too long.
I'll be looking for the Bissel you mentioned.

..L.T.A.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Once the Hepa filter gets dirty could you just run the vac without the Hepa filter? Will the vac still work without blowing dust around?

Golden Boy

B Steinbach

I just tried taking out the HEPA filter to vacuum my living room, and I did not notice it throwing out any dust at all (I'm sure it is throwing out a little more than with the filter in). I may leave it out for commercial jobs, and put it back in for residential jobs.

The HEPA filter does not seem to restrict airflow very much, probably because the filter is nearly new and because it is pretty big at 2" x 10".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom