New carpet/Formaldehyde???? Help !

RUGMAN1969

Hello Mikey's Board gurus.

I have a client who has lived in the home for 6 years with no problems at all. A week ago they installed new carpet in the entire home and now they are all suffering from breathing problems and headaches from the carpet. So far they are airing the place out when possible considering were in 30 degree weather.
My question is what will help to alleviate the new carpet Formaldehyde smell?

Ozone, Hot Water Extraction, Continued ventilation, Anything else were not considering here?? :?: :?: :?:

THANK YOU...MJF

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Sounds like off-gasing. Ventilation will be your best bet, adding water may cause the smell to increase.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Michael,
Dave's Truth and Myth document is nice to have.
However, truth or not, perceived off gassing or real, what your clients are describing is very real.

Airing will help. Heat will accelerate the off gassing.
Some people do what is called a hot bake. It means a lot of passes with very high temperature of water no need for detergent.
I just did one in a day center and they swear that it made a huge difference. (Which is what really counts.)

Another thing is to close the house turn the heating to as high as is safe for 24 hours and than air it out. It will, again accelerate the off gassing process (which no matter what that 'document' says is very real. They will need to be off premises for the last option. Which also may make a positive psychological difference.

And you can combine both.
Solve this problem and you preformed a valuable service, they will admire you for the rest of their life or your business' life.
Whichever comes first!

-JB-

Name
JB
Call the retailer, let them handle it, it's NOT your monkey, don't pick it up, I haven't seen or heard of any working remedies yet. Had one years ago, installed a new Berber, lady was hospitalized with lesions on her throat, the EPA had already sent several big ole air purifiers to no avail, the store removed it, she went back to good ole VCT tile she had in there before.

c0f1b903.jpg

Had another fella last fall, same thing he took to sleeping n the porch, wanted me to clean it, I get there the ole guys eyes are so red he looked like Bawb at MF, I advised him against cleaning and recommended he call HD (where he bought it), they pulled it and put in new, he said it was "better" And as far as not being real BS! MY eyes stung like heck to by the time I left his house.

leesenter

Beware-it could be the underpad off gassing too.
Disengage the carpet and sniff the underlayment from the bottom first to be sure.
I see more problems with pad these days than with carpet. The odour and toxic affect is usually much more acute with pad than carpet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom