New Study on Carpets affects on indoor air quality

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I called BS when they first started yelling about ripping out your carpets and replacing them with tile and hard wood flooring...stupidest thing I have ever heard....

common sense should of told everyone the real truth when they would see how much dust and/or animal hair that could be seen laying around on there hard surface floors...and every time they walk across the room..they are kicking this crap back up in the air and re-breathing it again....

carpet is a filter......it traps all that crap and keeps it out of the air...and unless you are laying face down in the fibers....your not going to re-breath it again.......
every 6 months to a year you call a carpet cleaner and we come out and clean your filter....

I had a client that told me because of her allergies she was going to rip all her carpet out and replace it with hard wood flooring...I explained to her the above but she went ahead and did it anyway...a year and a half later she calls me to come and do a warranty clean on her new carpet....she found out she was twice as sick when she put in the hard wood....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I had a client that told me because of her allergies she was going to rip all her carpet out and replace it with hard wood flooring...I explained to her the above but she went ahead and did it anyway...a year and a half later she calls me to come and do a warranty clean on her new carpet....she found out she was twice as sick when she put in the hard wood....
You are correct. Remove the carpet (the filter) and you (the homeowner) become the filter. :eekk:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I can see the value of emptying the sink (the carpet) but air? A HEPA air scrubber will drop the allergen level in a few hours as it processes the air and captures those allergens larger than .3 microns.

How bad is the dust level in a home in the areas where there is high humidity..compared to ares that are dry and have hardly any.............do dust partials dance around in thick moist air........??????

I have lived in humid areas and cant say I have ever paid any attention to this................

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And lets not talk about the indoor polution coming from a well used bathroom. And don't even mention a house full of women around those delicate times of month. Could be a long month of stench to deal with. The kind that corrodes the lining of a man's lungs. Good gawd is the a filter for that?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
How bad is the dust level in a home in the areas where there is high humidity..compared to ares that are dry and have hardly any.............do dust partials dance around in thick moist air........??????

I have lived in humid areas and cant say I have ever paid any attention to this................
The humidity would probably increase the suffering for those allergic to mold spores. We use particle counters to measure particulate in the air. Just walking through the room will elevate the counts. Vacuum with a non HEPA vacuum and those counts go through the roof. We live in a highly humid area so I'm not sure what dry climates are like.

Reactions: dgardner

Able 1

Name
Keith
Shaw should actually consider studying why there carpet really sucks!! The reason most people go to alternative flooring isn't because of health, it's because a good carpet lasts like 5-7 years these days..

Reactions: hogjowl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom