New TM, diesel heater vs. propane differences

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
I know this has been talked about before but are some main differences or advantages of either a TM with a diesel heater or propane??? I'm talking about a TM like the El Diablo or something like the Judson. What have guys with experience with either type of heater found to be the positives or negatives?????

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
What have guys with experience with either type of heater found to be the positives or negatives?????

run both

pros for Propane
cleaner burning
simpler operating system , so generally less troublesome

cons;;
On windy days you'll be relighting the pilot light often
PITA to fill tanks due to limited locations compared to pulling into most any gas station in America at any time day and night.
Potential to burn your eyebrows off when lighting the pilot on a gas filled heater (ask Mike)

Pros for diesel;
incredible heat
not effected by windy days (never have to light a pilot light)
flow fired (only fires when water is flowing)
Find fuel anywhere anytime

cons;
dirtier burning/odor
(I use K-1 kero) no soot or smell to speak of compared to diesel
More parts to the system = more potential problems

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Corner guards place in front of the heater stop the wind problems.

I don't have an issue with filling. Like the Sheriffs Deputies in our county, I have the lock code and permission to fill at my local propane company. If they hadn't if suggested that to me , I was going to ask about the possibility of my own tank.

It's easier to find propane here. K1 is like Bigfoot here.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea K-1 is like uhhh where???

My propane is a flow fired unit so no issues with wind....BUT it has electrical stuff like a diesel...which the only thing thats had an issue is an ignitor about every 15-18 mths...(could be the bouncy in the truck/trailer causing it, i dunno)

Propane isnt all over either, but easier to find then kero.....also i run 2 tanks, 1 at a time, so when 1 goes i can switch and know with in about 2 weeks to fill up again...

plus my heater is the steel pipe, which ehhh then you have "other" issues...but unless i leave it out in 0 degree weather...freezing wont be an issue, like with copper

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Make sure the fuel source is everywhere. It's not as easy to plan for as you might think. We had to fill a 12 gal propane tank every couple of days. It means an extra stop here. Cleaned plenty of carpets with cold water. Diesel one stop and lasts longer. My little giant was problematic. Flame constantly going out or just wouldn't stay lit. I would use a diesel but never a propane burner. Diesel burns fine and hot and is everywhere. You exhaust the fumes outside so who cares if it doesn't burn as clean.

Gene

Mike Draper

For $35.00 you can get a re-igniter for your little giant and it'll never blow out again. Takes 5 minutes to hook up.

Name
Marcus
I have had 3 northern tool kero burners......very little problem...but u have to tweek the flow switch...pressure washer place can do this
I have had them for 8 years...they will outlast the engine.....a
little heavy but this guy has some under 200 lbs?.....
Kleanline heater units at 832/398-3989...has some and he told me he could make stainless steel heater coils to go in them...so if u use a lot of acid. Rinse it won't rust......I believe he is from NY

I burn kerosene burns about1/2 gallon of kero per hour full throttle no triggering on resturants..also burns hotter and cleaner...
I turn mine down to abou160degrees and it works great.....no odor...
You can get kero at lowes in 5 gallon buckets...or check around..no odor. And safer than propane...no explosiveness...
They burn this stuff in lamps....so it's gotta be safe

Cap

Mikey P

Administrator
For $35.00 you can get a re-igniter for your little giant and it'll never blow out again. Takes 5 minutes to hook up.

says you.

I tried everything I could to get one, I asked you, L*s, my local RV places and nothing.

I bet you can't even provide a link to this mythological item.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
With fuel fired you may want to consider the benefit of venting it externally because or the buku exhaust heat as well as the odor.
Most fuel fired units can handle enought psi to handle high pressure for pressure washing.

Not always a necessity, but a benefit on commercial pressure washing gigs like sidewalk gum, drive-throughs and dumpster pads.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom