New to encap for residential. any ideas?

newevo

So I have been cleaning carpets HWE for 3 years now and I'm wanting to expand my services for residential. Pretty much to compete with
chemdry. I get a lot of potential customers that won't break from dry cleaning of some type. So my idea is to get a cimex and use (bridgepoint encap ds green) for residential. I have tried to research everywhere but havnt really found out whats the best method. Is going shampoo or bonnet style better? Ohh and if I go cimex and bridgepoint encap, how do they do stairs?

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I posted about encapping residential a few months ago. The only response that I got were to never encap in a residential setting.

I have done quite a few, it works really well on heavy traffic lanes that re-soil very quickly. I have vacuumed really well. I used CTI's Brush and Bonnet with a 175rpm with shampoo brush. Then, I post vacuumed.

I don't have any way of cleaning stairs, just TM HWE.

As of now, I use encapping with TM HWE.

newevo

and heavens best...any clue what they use...just a bonnet and cloth towel??? no post vac?

lance

Chemdry sucks....why compete with them? Pimp and modify your HWE so that you can clean and dry carpets better than they can. And then tell everyone about your way of cleaning.

If they don't want HWE it is probably because somebody hacked their carpets and ripped them off. Explain to them your procedures, show them before and after pics, and do a demo to show them what the results will be.

If you use a good prespray, aggitate the traffic lanes with a Grandi brush, and extract/rinse the carpet well you will have cleaned the carpet better than a lot of CC'ers.

Later on, you could get into OP cleaning if you want to. But you can get really good results with hwe.....you don't need to encap resi carpet to compete with franchises that don't take the time to clean very well.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
newevo said:
I get a lot of potential customers that won't break from dry cleaning of some type.

For what it is worth here is a different take on competing with the "dry" boys in residential. Back in the Dark Ages when I was in business I had a pretty aggressive Chem-Dry cleaner in my town. So I too would get the "dry cleaning" calls such as "Do you do the dry carpet cleaning?" Our response, "Yes, ma'am. For example, our 'Spin-dri' system will leave your carpets virtually dry and does a great job of removing the dirt. In fact, we can mix and match systems depending on the soil level of your carpets. I suggest we let your technician evaluate your carpets and choose which system will work best for your home. Now, we can fit you in ..."

Then we went out, always used our TM and Rx-20, double extracted and put down air-movers immediately. I don't believe I EVER had a customer go "what the heck! I ordered 'dry cleaning'!"

My point is we "detoured" the customer, we never said we couldn't or wouldn't do it and NEVER had a complaint.

My two cents,
Steve
SFS.JonDon.com

PS I love encapping for commercial. In fact, we're just finishing up a major report on how to build "encap routes" to augment your normal residential but by using part time employees in their own vehicles which means you can literally double your business without substantially increasing your overhead.

However, i don't feel encapsulation is a good system for the type of soil in higher pile saxony carpets found in residential settings. Once we "detoured" our customers they felt the same way. I just never argued methods with the home owner.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
newevo said:
So I have been cleaning carpets HWE for 3 years now and I'm wanting to expand my services for residential. Pretty much to compete with
chemdry. I get a lot of potential customers that won't break from dry cleaning of some type. So my idea is to get a cimex and use (bridgepoint encap ds green) for residential. I have tried to research everywhere but havnt really found out whats the best method. Is going shampoo or bonnet style better? Ohh and if I go cimex and bridgepoint encap, how do they do stairs?

scrub 'n run encRapping res carpets is going backwards, not forward.
There is a reason the shampoo method (which was how nearly all carpets were cleaned a couple generations ago) has all but disappeared in the res market.
Simply put, it's cause HWE *done right*, is clearly a better mouse trap and superior method in every way

If you'd like to offer a low moisture system, you'd be better served to rotary bonnet clean or better yet, OP (oscillating pad) over scrub 'n run sCampooing ala Cimex or rotary using brush or VCT type pads.

If you're not familiar with OP process, Padden McFadden recently put up a vid .
here it is.
at about 36 seconds into the vid, you'll see a shake'n shine machine (OP) in action

8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcRHJw-pb5A8]

Personally, we do similar to what Steve T mentioned regarding prospects asking for "dry cleaning"
However, Steve being the polished master salesman he is, says it much much better than I do.... :oops:
We simply tell them we're qualified to do, and offer all methods.
Then I explain the different processes/methods we offer, along with dispelling the myths commonly foisted on the public by unscrupulous deceptive marketers like Chem-Lie.

In the end, I let them make the decision on which method they want.
if they still insist on "dry" cleaning, (only happened once) we'll be glad to OP clean for them

..L.T.A.

Joe,
I checked you website and didn't see any chems, Do you have a different one for that? can you send me some info on them?
Thanks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The Cimex and encap are great tools for commercial cleaning but if I were looking at encapping residential I'd go with OP.

It will actually dry faster than the Cimex would and you can see the pads and where the soil went.

Using the Cimex in a residential setting, you may get questions about where the soil went.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Doc Holliday said:
... you may get questions about where the soil went.
You know, Richard, I've ALWAYS wondered that myself. Where DOES it go? Curious minds want to know ... :)

Steve
SFS.JonDon.com

PS The way I have always justified encapping is that 'cleaning" in commercial is usually all about "appearance level". And encap delivers on appearance with low pile commercial.

But somehow I just wouldn't feel right encapping a saxony carpet in a heavily spotted living room and lets not even go there on urine stains ...

My two cents.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You know, Richard, I've ALWAYS wondered that myself. Where DOES it go? Curious minds want to know ... :)
LOL

We if I were Jimmy I'd tell you it all just shampoo and it's still in the carpet (which there is some truth to that statement). :wink:

I believe the dirt eventually comes out in the vacuuming stage, mostly likely overtime.

Our mutual good friend Jeff cleans miles of commercial carpet using the encap method and it were a problem with resoiling he wouldn't have been maintaining those building for so many years.

Joe Bristor

Andy,
You're right it's not on my site.
I make/sell lots of stuff. Let's talk.

As far as encapping residential ...
I think it's important to recall the history as most boarders know it - Gelinas and Geurkink and Smith introduced it to us here on the boardss. Correct me if wroing, but are they all padders for most part? And mostly commercial cleaners? Steve had been Chem-Dry so used pads in residential as did Geurkink. Thus encapping had been popularized mainly as a commercial gig since you can get away with not vacuuming - let the janitors do it.

HWE uses wand lips for agitation. get real; not nearly as effective on looped commercial but OK on residential with the aid of 'secondary agitation' of jets blasting into pile. Pads also too aggressive for cut pile.

CRB=cylindrical rotating brush (HOST machine, Whittaker, anmd more recent units like Cobb's and Prochem's) never got its due imo with encapping cuz cimex/OP/Rotary is just a more effective form of agitation for commercial.
Although CRB never got its due when encap first came to the boards it's been popular in non-bulletin board communities like Whittaker's methods as well as other countries for years. I think that smart lady who teaches us about SOA, can't recall her name, alluded to this fact too.
I tried OP/encap ONCE on residentail and quickly switched after seeing the pad burn a 15" hole in the pile - butter spot still there. CRB cut right thru it.
CRB is my preferred method for residential encapping because it penetrates the fiber well.

A few weeks ago Able1 and Geurkink showed clear evidence of where the dirt goes. For the guys who know its effectiveness in residential, it's not our fault the rest of you refuse to see its merits. The vacuum becomes the wand you lazy bums. LOL.

Encapping will always be a maintenance clean imo so don't go there about how it's not a stand-alone. Duh.
But especially you guys who push for overcleaning should consider it. Fast, easy, effective, low overhead. Any maid service could pull it off, no problem. And since we ARE leaving chemical behind, at least make it a safe one. Thus the DfE. Call me Andy, Kris or anybody who wants to try first encap declared safe by the authority on safe, the DfE.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Correct me if wroing, but are they all padders for most part?
Rick's (I would consider the person who put the Cimex on the map) Cimex is shower fed and the pads used for it are Fiber Plus pads not the kind of pads that Steve and John would use for OP. The fiber Plus pads are consumed in cleaning, you don't wash and reuse them.

I tried OP/encap ONCE on residentail and quickly switched after seeing the pad burn a 15" hole in the pile - butter spot still there
Joe that sounds more like operator error.

Don't blame the system for someone's lack of training. We are relatively new to OP, we've only been using the system for a couple of years now. We primarily use Op for commercial but have used it on residential a few times including using it in my own home and have had no issues with it.

There are plenty of cleaners using OP on residential daily I don't think it is a problem with the system.

Joe Bristor

No, it wasn't operator error.
It was inability to emulsify down deep into the pile where the butter was.
The cotton OP just rubbed on top. I misted it with strong prespray that dissolved the oils in came in contact with, but still the pad couldn't get down deep into the pile where the worst of the stain was so the stain was still there.
The CRB got emulsifier down deep, the encap pac-man'd the emulsifier, the vaccum extracted the semi-dry embrittled residue.
Sure pad/OP works in most situations but not the deep down oils.
No different than cleaning a greasy wheel rim. You'll scrub all day with a flat pad and still not penetrate. But get in there with some nylon bristles and you can loosen the grease & grime so that flushing releases it.
HWE and secondary agitation - no problem.
CRB and encap and vacuum extraction - slower but still possible.
Pad cap, forget about cleaning deep.

Joe Bristor

yeah I know you're right Doc but my tm died a few years back from lack of use.
I had to find a method I could do, refused POG.
encap is all I do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom