Newbie question-stairs

Abigail

Name
Stacy
I am just getting started. I'm a woman and not a spring chicken, so I need something that works for me.
I purchased a Rotovac DHX and CFX. I don't care for the upholstery tool that came with it. It's called a 'contained spray detailer tool'
I cannot use the Rotovac on the stairs. And this tool is hard work on the stairs. It also wets the carpet and upholstery too much. I'd like something I can use on stairs that won't break my back. And something better for the upholstery.
The Rotovac guys are pushing their expensive stuff, of course, but I'd like to hear from the people who are out there using the items!

Suggestions anyone.

And thanks !

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
welcome Abby, if we can call you that. There has been tons of discussions on the best upholstery tools so just search back. Stair tools can be bought from any supplier. Check Superior or Jondon. Don't let the meatheads here convince you to clean stairs with a floor wand. That will wear you out fast.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Hi Abigail,
Whatever you do avoid the short stair tools that require you to bend or kneel down to clean stairs. It will kill your back after one flight. Get a stair tool that you can use while standing on the stairs. We took old carpet wands and chopped them down to the ideal height for stair cleaning. Works great.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Agreed. I think you would like a dedicated stair tool the best, probably a "long handled" one. stairs are still a lot of work to do it right but you'll get the hang of it. I agree with what you said about the Rotovac attachment. The 360i is great in a filthy living room but too awkward for stairs IMO. Stick around here and you will learn A LOT! Welcome and good luck!

Russ

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Hi Abigail,
Whatever you do avoid the short stair tools that require you to bend or kneel down to clean stairs. It will kill your back after one flight. Get a stair tool that you can use while standing on the stairs. We took old carpet wands and chopped them down to the ideal height for stair cleaning. Works great.
Welcome Abigail.
That's where this gets confusing and where your personal experience and preferences will comes in handy. So if you work with a local distributor, they will allow you to use a tool for a week and return it (undamaged) at no charge. Take advantage of this and try various tools.
Unlike Steve, my experience with the semi length stair tool was not good, I found it harder on my back and felt that it did not do a very good job on the 'nose' of the stair which is usually the dirtiest and hardest to clean. Can't be maneuvered sideways on the nose (too big) so you can only do up and down, in and out cleaning movements.

On the other hand, the short stair tool (PMF 6") with the glide, allowed me to keep my back perfectly straight, much better cleaning and maneuvering of the tool and the ability to reach everywhere as well as work in tight spaces while keeping my back straight. You do have to clean on your knees. Bummer! Buy some good quality knee pads.

And there will be as many legitimate opinions here, as you can take. You'll have to find out what works best for you. Some even clean stairs with a small upholstery tool, which to me, pretty much, sound like Chinese torture. On the other hand it will require less muscle use and may cause less fatigue.
Steve is right though, don't use a regular wand, it's a silly testosterone driven macho thing. People who do this, usually end up buying a vortex :winky:

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Last edited:

Abigail

Name
Stacy
Thanks all. I'm looking into the sapphire and drimaster for upholstery. Both will work with my machine. Still trying to find the right tool for the stairs.
There is a shop near me which has some items so I may speak with them about trying out some things.

Thanks

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I have the drimaster. It has metal lips that can snag and damage the fabric and tool itself. Judging from the feedback in this board, id lean hard toward the Saphire.

Russ

Mikey P

Administrator
Can I ask how a non spring chicken decided to get into this career that typically appeals to young and cocky roosters?

I thinks it's awesome that you are doing so. I would strongly suggest to spend some time talking to Lisa from Green Glides here about how she went about running and operating a carpet cleaning business.

Abigail

Name
Stacy
Mickey, I've been a stay-at-home mom for many years. Misogynist decided he had destroyed me sufficiently and moved on. I woke up. I'm soooo much happier now.
I have kids to support and no decent job prospects to support them.
My father has his own business (computers and tech have wiped him out). He got some info on carpet cleaning businesses and passed it on.

I will succeed at this. I could just use some help and advice.

God Bless

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
Abigail, you will find the most generous ladies and gentlemen here willing to help you on any subject.

Two thoughts that will help you... Ask specific questions and then only one per post for the best answers. And use the "search" function. It has a ton of information buried in there.

Reactions: Mikey P

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Having a local supplier who has a variety of equipment that you can demonstrate has many advantages over dealing by phone or email and buying equipment you have not been able to try out. Depending upon exactly where in Western NY you are located, HJS Supply in West Seneca or the Cleaning Cupboard in Rochester could be good places to start. If you are close enough, check with Pemberton's in McKeesport, PA near Pittsburgh.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Having a local supplier who has a variety of equipment that you can demonstrate has many advantages over dealing by phone or email and buying equipment you have not been able to try out. Depending upon exactly where in Western NY you are located, HJS Supply in West Seneca or the Cleaning Cupboard in Rochester could be good places to start. If you are close enough, check with Pemberton's in McKeesport, PA near Pittsburgh.

What Scott suggests is great if you live in a town big enough to have legit carpet cleaning outfitters. I live in a town of 140,000 and our local suppliers are all janitorial suppliers with laughable CC equipment. I hope you have a local supplier with decent stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom