Newsletters. Is there merit in....?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
One of our ideas we're implementing this year is newsletters. I have a meeting with my graphic designer in 2 days time to discuss options. I have a few ideas but would appreciate some honest feedback as to likehood of working, experience or just plain old gut feeling Ivebeensold

I want to have a format that lends to EITHER print or electronic.

I'd like other's ideas on pros and cons of:-

1.text, pdf or html?

Seems text conveys personal touch versus html conveys large corporation but way more options to design.

2. If given the opportunity, would you network with other businesses to cross advertise in newsletters?

Let's say my graphic designer did a generic newsletter, had sections to brand it as your own, left 2-3 spots clear for each individual business to insert thier own specific information (key focus of front page and 1-2 smaller slots on reverse), but between a group of say 4-8 companies, had a ad for something else that would appeal to the same audience (homeowner, female, age etc.) and then intermingled with generic stuff like seasonal garden tips, cooking tips, wine recommendation etc etc etc

3. Years ago when I did a newsletter, we did quarterly. Is that often enough?

4. Finally, would you host a copy on your a.website, b.blog or c.not at all?

Hopefully I've made myself clear enough!!

John

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Newsletters are a great venue for promotion.

With that said...very minimal promotion should be done in the process.

Make your newsletter all about the recipient and their community.

Funny, interesting, sad, usable.......would you read anything that wasn't?

Promote yourself in the newsletter somewhat but make sure THAT'S the "ad" on..... NOT the main subject.

Use text for the straight forward, use HTMl for the glitz stuff for photos and things that need to be seen etc.

Yes, put it on your blog.....this is my biggest downfall.

We should all be filling our blogs with whatever we send out in the mail or other...kind of a bank for all your crap.

Let us preview your first one John....I would love to critique it.

OH, and I would keep the format the same or close to the same each time....maybe have 2 different formats...one for text and one for html that are sent out at different times.

This creates the familiarity and the customer might even look forward to it.

Good luck.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I would promote other...or at least one other business each time....not too sure I would partner with one permanently.

If I had to pick print or electronic and not both....I would definitely pick electronic....Or what we like to call "Email" :mrgreen: :|

Print is more expensive and a longer process all together.

That of course makes it more personal.....but I think in this day and age...a nice, well written and pretty email goes a long way.

Be sure to tell them that you do email to "stay green" and not waste all that paper...there's always a positive spin. Even dog poop in the yard makes the grass grow moe bettah.

Remember to K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Steamer :mrgreen:

A long boring ass newsletter will get deleted.
Short and sweet (my locker room name) is the way to go.

Bullet points, pretty photos, calls to action "LOOKY HERE!!!!"

You name it.

When you network with another company...make sure it's some thing the recipient WANTS....not has to have to survive....unless they want it so bad that they have to have it to survive.....Like Jenifer and Shoes. :roll:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We used Lee Pemberton's Restorator newsletter for decades. It was aimed at the insurance repair market but really worked well.

As Brian mentioned two small areas that spoke to the restoration process, the rest was filled with really cool facts and tid bits.

He also had a puzzle in there that the first three callers that called in to get it right would win a small prize (we usually gave movie passes, lunch gift cards, a couple of snacks and a coffee mug).

It worked great, gave us a reason to meet face to face with office staff too! It was mailed monthly.

I think if I were to do one for the residential market I'd do it bimonthly or quarterly. I'd also throw in a recipe each month, a word jumble or puzzle, facts about that month or months, a seasonal offer.

If I ever get around to a newsletter that's what I would do.

Mikey P

Administrator
"Easily Increase Your Repeat and Referral Business With Newsletters and E-mails. • Why do most paper newsletters get trashed without ever being read? • What makes a paper newsletter interesting? • How important are colors and graphics? • How to create great newsletters even if you aren’t a good writer. • The easy way to send email newsletters that get opened and read • How to legitimately gather email addresses and have your customers voluntarily “opt-in” to your newsletter and email list • Free or low-cost methods of email and newsletter marketing Bruce DeLoatch, “The Cleaner’s Coach”- Technical Advisor for Truckmounts & Cleaning Solutions (TCS"

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
No SM over here, or eeven anything like it.

I can't use anything from your side of teh world due to different seasons, cultures, holidays etc.

If possibly I want to keep it local.

My graphic designer also has a small business targeting special ocassion invitational design work, so there's an immediate starter.

Would you charge a company a nominal fee for an ad or just try and do an exchange?

Another company she networks with is an interior designer/top end furniture manufacturer so again, a nice fit with my clientele.

I don't yet have a blog, but seriously considering adding one and the intention was to upload each newsletter.

Does anyone have one they would be willing to share either privately or maybe a link here in this thread?

Or maybe someone elses they've seen and were impressed by?

Regarding critiquing Brian, no insult inteded, but I'd rather get my desinger and her type to critique as they are my intended target market and will have a different take on it than what you or I would, but I'll more than likely put one up to share regardless.

John

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Cool John....can't wait to see it.

I do try to look at every marketing piece etc from an educated and experienced point of view. I've given up thinking like a cleaner years ago.

Whether I actually make that happen is another story. shiteatinggrin

I've tried my best to learn how our demographic thinks....and age old issue at least. !gotcha!

I may not understand "why" they like what they like or what draws them in but I do try to understand "what".

Maybe I will find the one thing that makes your newsletter perfect? Maybe not? You know I'll give it my best shot.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Doc Holliday said:
We used Lee Pemberton's Restorator newsletter for decades. It was aimed at the insurance repair market but really worked well.

I was saddened when I heard they discontinued that. Lee designed that newsletter brilliantly ! It was informative/straight hard facts, yet entertaining, and there was a bit of fun. I remember reading a few of the issues where he layed out the contractor-restorer/agent relationship, and the headaches that sometimes go along with that. But then he wrote what would be done differently by the contractor/restorer. Lee was/is still way ahead of his time a decade ago on issues that are prevalent today.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was saddened when I heard they discontinued that. Lee designed that newsletter brilliantly ! It was informative/straight hard facts, yet entertaining, and there was a bit of fun. I remember reading a few of the issues where he layed out the contractor-restorer/agent relationship, and the headaches that sometimes go along with that. But then he wrote what would be done differently by the contractor/restorer. Lee was/is still way ahead of his time a decade ago on issues that are prevalent today.
Lee is amazing.

We used his newsletter for decades and I was really disappointed when it ended just last year, but there was just not enough subscribers to keep it going.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Yes that was news to me. I suggested it to someone on ICS and someone came back with the response they didn't offer it anymore. :| But as anything in business when you devote that much time to a project it has to have a great ROI or its not worth it. I still hope he knows the folk that did subscribe to it, how great it helped their business.

R

Rob Anspach

an effective newsletter should be interactive, should get your clients involved and get them to take action
it should also be a tool to help build your referral business and make you more money

why would you pay someone BIG bucks to design a newsletter when there are tons of guys (even myself) offering some really kick ass newsletters out there... you just have to plau g in your info and it's ready to be sent out

Rob Anspach
http://www.robanspach.com

P.S. If you'd like to try mine risk-free for one issue to see if it's right for you, just go to my site and request a copy.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Thanks for the offer Rob, but did you actually take the time to read my posts?

I'm down under and generally, stuff (marketing in broad terms) isn't relevent for us. Different holidays, seasons, culture, crisis etc.

John

R

Rob Anspach

Yes I did read your stuff!

With my newsletter you can change whatever you don't find relevant and put whatever you'd like.

It's that easy!

R

Rob Anspach

yes i am using it in my cleaning co

and yes, I would be honored to send you a copy

Fred, and anyone else interested, go to my site and join my e-news and I'll send you over $350 in great business building & marketing gifts for free.

R

Rob Anspach

sorry, would love to show everyone, but I know how some are here
(every industry has them... they just want the freebies, without getting involved)

if you truly want to see it, go to my site and sign up, then I'll be glad to send those who want it a copy

Rob

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I looked at your site, but you really can't get an idea of what what you're selling.

You need to put a newsletter in a PDF or one that you can click on and view but can't be copied.

I HATE signing up for anything and only to get mined by someone else. :x

Really don't like the name, is that something that can be changed or are you locked in to Aloha? :|

R

Rob Anspach

the newsletter was designed around a womens perspective

in focus groups I tested, the women loved it...and testing it in my own cleaning company, my woman clients respond to it

you are not your customer... you need to think about who you are marketing to... it needs to be inviting, it's needs to create an emotional bond with your client, makes them feel safe and secure and creates a warm fuzzy feeling for them

but hey, if you want to change it...that's up to you

I'll take your suggestion about the pdf under advisement - I may just do that...but with some built in safeguards...as pdf's can be copied and converted to other formats very easily.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Block parts of the copy or what ever you need to do. I think most would understand what you are trying to do. Actually if someone really wanted it that bad, they would have you send them one.

I'm always interested in seeing what's out there, but I do prefer to do so without a commitment. I know I may miss out on a few good opportunities but I do get less e-sales junk.

R

Rob Anspach

I understand.

thats exactly why I give everyone a chance to try my newsletter out before buying it

Most of the people on my email list discover that what I send them actually is beneficial and helps them in their marketing. 95% of my emails are pure content and aimed at helping you grow your business. Occassionally, I will send out an email that promotes one of my products. I try not to make a habit of being salesy in any way or coming across as "you got to have this thing right now" - I dont like that kind of email and I know most dont either, but hey it pays the bills once in awhile.

Look, I know most of use get a bunch of emails everyday, but hey, sign up for mine, grab the free stuff and if you don't like what you see, it's very easy to unsubscribe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom