Nice looking Vortex video

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the lower HX is not supposed to be smoking with the UD sitting there running and the machine off.........the diverter valve is out of adjustment or not working....

a little seepage is OK..but that is way to much.........if you drive to long with it that way it will crack it...............

Reactions: Vincent Feehan

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
the diverter has too much blow by and needs to be adjusted. the smoke is from the engine valves being out of adjustment.

i will say i love the bunjie cords holding the batteries on the tray.

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
the diverter has too much blow by and needs to be adjusted. the smoke is from the engine valves being out of adjustment.

i will say i love the bunjie cords holding the batteries on the tray.

I'm not really a diesel guy - are you saying the engine in a UD1400 doesn't have hydraulic lifters? And that the valve lash being out of adjustment will cause smoke? This is a new thing for me.....

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
According to the maintanance schedule the valve lash is to be checked every 20000 miles I believe. Most poeple have never performed a valve adjustment and are fine but now we are checking the lash on our trucks twice a year as it makes a difference with overall performance and diesel usage/power.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I will say once you have done it a couple of times and have the spec sheet in front you, it only takes about 30 minutes to check, then set if needed then verify again.

The important thing is to make sure on the first point of reference is that both the cyclinders 1 and 4 are at top dead center on the COMPRESSION STROKE. Some mechanics and owners forget to make sure it is on the COMPERSSION STROKE because to do this you have to disassemble the throttle control for the motor and remove the magnetic injector pump sensor and verify with a hash mark in relation to a set of marks on the flywheel. Some just use the marks on the fly wheel as guidance but that is a mistake and they are setting them wrong.

But yes to answer your question it is very neccesary, most diesel mechanics can perform this check and adjust in less than .5 hour but will charge the full hour.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
From that video I believe the truck is worth about 16k to get it cleaned up and fix some minor issues on the truck, it could cost up to 5k. I said up to, so keep that in mind. If you are meticulous it will cost you more than 5k but if you just want a good clean truck I would say you could get Er done with less than 5.

If that truck is worth 25k then my trucks should be worth about 40k and I don't think my trucks are worth 40k.

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
Thanks, I am in the market for either a used V or AT. I may end up just going the new route.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
He mistates a few things thru ought his video that are just not right. Like saying the cab is very clean and nice or something like that, when in fact the seats have duct tape all over them holding them together.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom