Nissan Genesis 59 pulley hub mod

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
If you own a Nissan genny, you know the aluminum sheave becomes worn and burns through belts,
I took mine to a machinest and had them lathe it down to a 1.5" keyed shaft. Now I can put any sheave I want on there.
6FF2CBF7-B234-4CBA-92F5-2059FE6EAE38_zpswpfrw7fx.jpg
AC7D451A-A1A2-44E0-9F54-9CA605D4FE3A_zpspyopsnnf.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums...7-B234-4CBA-92F5-2059FE6EAE38_zpswpfrw7fx.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums...A-A1A2-44E0-9F54-9CA605D4FE3A_zpspyopsnnf.jpg

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I have a friend with a machine shop. I can stay there all day. I took a panel in to have cut and they just slide it in and press a button. A big shear comes down. Nice , clean, efficient.

Gene

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I have a little machine shop at home with lathe and vertical mill. I love that stuff. Your machinist turned a nice radius where the "shaft" meets the hub instead of tuning a hard inside corner - great for reducing the chance of forming stress risers and cracks. He knows what he's doing.

tubad sosad

Name
joe mama
would you do this if you owned a different TM with a nissan A15 on it? do sheeves come in stainless or just steel? where is a good place to buy sheeves at?

it looks like he did a really good job. thanks Ashley

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
All the heavy-duty sheaves I have ever seen were cast-iron, but my experience is mainly with industrial machinery. Stainless ones would be fabulously expensive. Aluminum is considered light-duty as Ashley mentioned wear is a problem.

Fortunately though, the belts running in the cast-iron grooves keep them nicely polished, and you can paint the other bits....

Reactions: tubad sosad

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
It looks awesome, just keep belt tension down, don't overdo it as it really may just snap that sucker right off. That 59 is going to put a big load on the aluminum. It worked awesome before, but that was a massive piece of alum. that was machined down with belt grooves in it. I don't want to be a party pooper but this might not work.
The pulley set up has given me the most problems on my project, blowers are powerful, I just snapped a 7/8 steel shaft being stupid again.

J

JS41035

My wife HATES when I use her Sienna to haul around my "projects". Had Justin use it to sneak a 405 out of TX.
Hands down the most ghetto thing I've ever done. Yes technically it fit. With literally a quarter inch to spare. So much easier than just pulling a trailer.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
It looks awesome, just keep belt tension down, don't overdo it as it really may just snap that sucker right off. That 59 is going to put a big load on the aluminum. It worked awesome before, but that was a massive piece of alum. that was machined down with belt grooves in it. I don't want to be a party pooper but this might not work.
The pulley set up has given me the most problems on my project, blowers are powerful, I just snapped a 7/8 steel shaft being stupid again.

Tom I hear ya, as this was 3 B belts before, It will now be 3 5vx belts, which need very little tension. And I will have MUCH larger pulleys.
If this doesn't work Ill have the broken shaft machined smooth, and bolt a sheave to the then flat aluminum plate...

Which has me thinking... once the sheave is on the shaft, I could use the bolt holes in the sheave as pilots to drill through and tap the aluminum and have longer bolts go all the way through to the aluminum plate, greatly decreasing the strain on the shaft itself.

Reactions: TConway

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Makes me wish I hadn't tossed my old pulley when I replaced it. I'm now wondering if any A15 machines were built with larger 3 groove pullies.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Seems odd that only guys that put tons of hours on those Powerclean pulleys have any problems with them wearing out. How many hours on yours so far Ashley? Didn't you start at like 1100? I have about 11000.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Tom I hear ya, as this was 3 B belts before, It will now be 3 5vx belts, which need very little tension. And I will have MUCH larger pulleys.
If this doesn't work Ill have the broken shaft machined smooth, and bolt a sheave to the then flat aluminum plate...

Which has me thinking... once the sheave is on the shaft, I could use the bolt holes in the sheave as pilots to drill through and tap the aluminum and have longer bolts go all the way through to the aluminum plate, greatly decreasing the strain on the shaft itself.
You sound like me and the VW tm I broke my pulley again, totally my fault, I have new parts just haven't had the time to go swap out the pulley.

This is exactly what I am going to do also

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Seems odd that only guys that put tons of hours on those Powerclean pulleys have any problems with them wearing out. How many hours on yours so far Ashley? Didn't you start at like 1100? I have about 11000.

I honestly don't know for sure, But I think the previous owner never tightened the belts properly the entire time he owned it, and just burned through belts every few weeks.

I cooked up a "Push down idler" that helped the belts last a lot longer, but they would still slip... And the pulley got more and more worn.

If you look at the zoomed photo, you will see just how worn the pulley was, one side of the belts weren't even touching the pulley.
A large feeler gauge could slide between the pulley and the belt.
idler.jpg
gap.png

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I just replaced my Powerclean pulley with a Prochem pulley that was 8". I then replaced the sheave with an 8 inch one. I went from 3 belts to 2 and the machine runs perfectly fine with just one belt. I've been burning through belts lately, so I have to work on wrapping the exhaust and trying to move it away from the pulleys.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Well crap, it didn't go as planned, so I have to come up with a better design. I have a plan just was hoping to not have to do it damit

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I just replaced my Powerclean pulley with a Prochem pulley that was 8". I then replaced the sheave with an 8 inch one. I went from 3 belts to 2 and the machine runs perfectly fine with just one belt. I've been burning through belts lately, so I have to work on wrapping the exhaust and trying to move it away from the pulleys.

Doug, try placing a radiator fan blowing across the belts. My blueline ate belts when I first got it. They would completely disintegrate. I went through 3 sets pretty quick. Once I placed the fan I never broke another belt. I only replaced them once after that just as general maintenance. The expected life at 70 degrees is something like 20,000 hrs. Every 10 degree increase dramatically decreases life. It's from memory so could be flawed. What matters is cooler will last longer. Alignment is also critical.

Gene

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom