no info, no clues how would you handle this?

Mikey P

Administrator
IMG954590.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Acid rinse first,potassium metabisulfide next, maybe a little weak peroxie. Depends on the fabric and since there's no info.....

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm just here to learn on this one....LOL

Sorry....

I am not sure what I would do quite yet....

I of course would probably say....let's try a juice and extract and see what we get to start with.....

Then....oh Sh.....:(

Reactions: FB7777

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Very different issues:
  • Drips may respond to usual spotting. Since no info re fabric content, hard to be specific. If in doubt go delicate fabric pre-spray first and retaliate from there :winky:.
  • Yellowing and or browning, could be just a water ring that can potentially be removed with proper technique (from just distilled water to detergent, acid rinse, peroxide or reducer.) Will need feathering.
  • May wick back from spill, needs to address that (toweling, fast drying etc.) and may need second rinsing & feathering. If browning due to fiber content and if using peroxide or oxidizer, you may as well clean the entire piece.
  • Do not ignore buttons, if you wet them and the button is iron (as many are) it will rust. Hand toweling works.
  • Did we discuss the ancient Chinese wisdom of release of liability?

The fun of detective work and experimentation.

Since you own a BB, do make their day- Be a hero.
Consult Paula before hand, in which room she'd like your new sofa to be placed.

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
This was a repeat spot. Notice the brown hue extends past the waterline on the right. The darker lines may be from an attempted spotting.

If you must wet the buttons hit with OMS first as is sop with older furniture and reupholstered pieces.

If it's in his area I'd call Ofer too.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You know your clients and I'd be happy to help a client. However if this is a new to you, first time customer asking you to restore this then, I'm going to be very clear as to who's problem this is.

Some people will try to make it your spot and blame you for the results. Some will not want to pay because it was not completely removed. We charge for the effort not the result.

Believe me they are times I'd love to charge more because the result turned out so great. However, it balances with all the times I worked like a dog trying to get out a spot or stain that improved but was never removed. As long as (prior to cleaning) they agree with that as the expected result, then would proceed to correct it.

In my opinion its not coming out completely or if you do somehow manage to get it it out, chances are great that this panel will not match other panels or pieces
. :errf:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Great advice

Mike, what obligates you to say you can fix something based on a picture? Leaving aside whether or not your schedule will allow it, you have to stop right there and say:

"I can't tell you whether or not I can fix it without having the furniture available for thorough inspection and testing. Even with my ability to do both, stains of this nature on what appears to be a natural fiber are not always removable and I won't know until I try a few things, all of which will be charged for because they involve time, material, and my best people".

"In my attempts to correct this, the fabric may become whiter, may weaken and split, or experience texture distortion. I'll be asking you to sign off that you won't hold me responsible for any of this potential damage, though I will do all that I can to avoid that happening.

"If you have other alternatives, you might want to exercise those instead. Otherwise, I need $xxx.xx whether or not the outcome is successful."

I know those seem like hard words in an industry where we offer "satisfaction guarantees". The issue here is you cannot offer that type of guarantee on a delicate fabric that has been exposed to GKW ("God Knows What") can be damaged by the steps you'll take to attempt to fix it.

You'll ultimately need something with sodium percarbonate in the formula, which will begin to weaken the fabric. Strong direct applications of peroxide will surely weaken it worse, plus both may cause it to become more bleached in appearance.

Very little good will come from trying to do this without some strong guarantees from you customer that they will pay you and not hold you liable, and no guarantees from you, outside of the fact that you'll try to do your best to restore it without damaging it, but can guarantee neither.

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Great advice

Mike, what obligates you to say you can fix something based on a picture? Leaving aside whether or not your schedule will allow it, you have to stop right there and say:

"I can't tell you whether or not I can fix it without having the furniture available for thorough inspection and testing. Even with my ability to do both, stains of this nature on what appears to be a natural fiber are not always removable and I won't know until I try a few things, all of which will be charged for because they involve time, material, and my best people".

"In my attempts to correct this, the fabric may become whiter, may weaken and split, or experience texture distortion. I'll be asking you to sign off that you won't hold me responsible for any of this potential damage, though I will do all that I can to avoid that happening.

"If you have other alternatives, you might want to exercise those instead. Otherwise, I need $xxx.xx whether or not the outcome is successful."

I know those seem like hard words in an industry where we offer "satisfaction guarantees". The issue here is you cannot offer that type of guarantee on a delicate fabric that has been exposed to GKW ("God Knows What") can be damaged by the steps you'll take to attempt to fix it.

You'll ultimately need something with sodium percarbonate in the formula, which will begin to weaken the fabric. Strong direct applications of peroxide will surely weaken it worse, plus both may cause it to become more bleached in appearance.

Very little good will come from trying to do this without some strong guarantees from you customer that they will pay you and not hold you liable, and no guarantees from you, outside of the fact that you'll try to do your best to restore it without damaging it, but can guarantee neither.

By the way....the best answer....in the longest time I can recall!!! :rockon:

I did cut and paste this into my planner for future reference....

Could have used some of this last week with a customer who even though we had it spelled out numerous times....didn't read any of it....so it was still my fault.... :errf:

And....the insurance adjuster and insurance company were ecstatic with our work and asked if we would do more for them....they read all our cautions and warnings that there was a 50-50 chance of not being able to fix and confirm, but thought the job we did was more than impeccable....just the homeowner who didn't want the answers that we came up with..... wasn't happy....:oldrolleyes:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I Knew I could count Jim for a amazing Intelligent response!! My guy will have same issue tomorrow... I just forwarded Jim's response to my guy:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom