Not going to get much sleep tonight.....

Bob Foster

You wouldn't either if you had to get up in the morning and clean a billionaires yacht full of light natural colored wool broadloom with inserts..

Gonna use JJ with O2 rinse. Rinse well, dry stroke the crap out of it and force dry. Pictures to follow.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Bob, you're playing with fire using an oxidizer on wool, particularly of the quality and cost you'll find on a "billionaire's" yacht. Anything advertised as a brightener isn't getting a woolsafe certification, so I'd recommend sticking with a low pH emulsifier and the only thing you'll have to worry about is nicking the woodwork. Maybe you get away with it (most cleaners do) but what if you don't?

If it were a fishing trawler I'd have another opinion, but I doubt you're going to run into thrashed carpet here.

Bob Foster

O2 doesn't have a brightener in the rinse and is an excellent neutralizer. JJ has a low pH too. I have used several times on wool carpets and haven't had any problems. Besides as you know wool is actually tough stuff. Due to the inserts I have warned them about possible puckering.

Your going to see for yourself as it is going back to Seattle for a refit in a few months and I have recommend your company. You probably are doing his Seattle home now You are going to have to do a little stone work on the vessel too. Galley has some spill etches on some of the counters and floors. The upholstery is 9/10 so I'm not touching any of it - lots of silk. When you do get to the vessel after its annual haul out/refit work you can do a pH test on the wool and examine if for yourself.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Bob alot has to due with the backing also is a a jute backed material . What is the construction. Is it machine woven or hand knotted Is the urine or no . Seems like machine I would be concearned of the application of the installation seam taped or hand sewed.

Bob Foster

Harry, no urine. Not sure of the insert under the dining room table is but I bet because it is square it will be taped. The carpet is kicked tight. Not sure if it is jute or not either way I will be lowering my psi and being careful with my extraction passes. Stairs through 3 levels are circular wood with wool inserts so I will be using an upholstery tool on them. It isn't a big job - just an important job.

GRHeacock

Good for you, Bob!!

Remember these people all have friends with a similar income level, and their expensive toys.

A good way to break into this bracket.

This customer will also have an expensive home that will need your services, so mention it, and his private jet too.

And be sure to thank whoever referred you to him.

Gary

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
How'd you get referred to that one Bob?

Have fun.
While you're having all that fun on a yacht, I'll be cleaning a big rental house out towards Shirley, apparently they locked the dogs into the bedroom. Yah! I jokingly suggested I could wear my respirator. They weren't laughing, they suggested it might be a good idea!!
Good test for the Quatalot!!

Bob Foster

And I had a terrible night's sleep but the job went very well....tense but well. 200 foot run. Did the stairs with an upholstery tool, the rooms were odd small areas so I used my glided Stanley Steamer stair tool on them - that worked really well. Super good people to work for and they were very pleased with the results.

The woodwork on this vessel would make a Steinway look like it was widdled on a backwoods porch.

Pictures are fussy, I had more important things on my mind.

I asked the captain for permission to take outside shots of the 120ft vessel and he said he preferred I didn't. Built in the Netherlands and I would guess it to be worth between 4 and 5 million. It had more electronics buried in the woodwork than a Best Buy.
C1circularstairssalon.jpg

c1guestroomport.jpg

c1woolfront.jpg

c1woolback.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'lll take your word for it Bob, I thought Judson advertises the O2 product as having an included brightener. I'd still recommend staying away from oxidizers except for salvage cleaning or solution dyed plastics. This is Karastan carpet, probably a wool/acrylic blend and in a pretty hard to hurt style. I'm sure it's fine.

PS: Microsoft billionaires compete for yacht supremacy but at 120 feet this would be a puppy, even with a price tag likely over $15 mil. I thnk Paul Allen has one this size moored in front of his house just for lake parties.
Check out his big boy http://ships.bouwman.com/Octopus.html

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Brian is absolutely correct.

An oxidizer should NOT be used on a wool carpet.

A much better choice would be a powder reducing agent.

This particular carpet can take some abuse, but as a professional,
you should not subject it to a potentially damaging treatment.

Inspectors would frown on any oxidizer used.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom