Not so friendly competition....

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Another one of my competitors, who does good work, is beating me every time I bid against him.

He got called on a flood for a set of buildings that we have... One of our biggest accounts. The manager found out that an employee had called "big ego" carpet cleaning to do the flood. He went and pulled him off the job, and said he would only have us clean for him.

Mr. Big Ego himself calls my boss and tells him he has a flood he doesn't have time for, gives him the contact information and says we can have this one because he's too busy. Before my boss gets a chance to call about the flood that "Big Ego" cleaning "gave to us" the customer calls and lets us know he just fired "Big Ego" and needs us to run the flood.

Big Ego gets with the employee that he knows and gets in the door to do the tile work. (because we don't do tile) We come in to bid the carpet, and I submit the bid. Little did I know, the employee is helping Mr. "Big Ego" try to snag the carpet cleaning. Somehow word gets passed up the chain of command (along with my bid) that I'm a little "pricey" (@20cents/ft... gimme a break!) and a smart thing to do would be to call two other companies and select whatever bid falls in the middle. "Big Ego" Carpet Cleaning and a lowball hack company were called.(How convenient?) Now that Mr. Big Ego knows my price, he can cut just under me, and will surely be the middle bid. I will do it for free before he takes another one from me.

I am going to start putting clean spots in the middle of every job he has done. I am going to write down address of houses I see his trucks at and go back and ask the owner if they would like their carpets re-done, the right way, free of charge. He's good, but I can clean better than he can with my greenie pimp-mobile, and I'm about to go on a crusade to expose him for the mediocre cleaner he is. I'm gonna take side by side pictures.

He has a sign on the back of all his trucks that says: Attention: You are following the leader in carpet cleaning. I am going to get one that looks just like it that says, "Attention ("Big Ego Carpet Cleaning"): There's a new sheriff in town!

I can't wait to steal his crown. Take his coveted "Best Cleaner" award away from him. It's only a matter of time until I get the name recognition to do it. People may like him, but eventually they will know that I do a better job.

It's funny, he can only steal an account from me if the people he is dealing with haven't seen my work yet. He can only snag one when we go in blind.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Sneak up and put bleach in his solution tank when he's cleaning your accounts.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
As fun as it is to joke about that, it would be unethical, and I would be screwing my account over more than him. I figure with the rep he has in this town, it will be five years before I take him down. He'll be a good second mention, but no-longer the name at the tip of everyone's tongue.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Rex Tyus said:
Could you clarify who the "big ego" cleaner is? You or your competitor?

Very funny. You gotta meet the guy, you'll know what I'm talking about. The guy walks around like he's some sorta movie star just waiting to be noticed. He got his start by screwing over "elite" cleaning co.... He managed "Elite" cleaning, made everybody think he owned it. He printed out the customer list, got a loan, and started his own company. He then told everybody he sold "Elite" Cleaning to some people who were running it into the ground but he would be happy to help them at his new company.

In his defense, the guy who owned "Elite" Cleaning was a moron and was running it into the ground. (It's just about out of business now) But, Mr Big Ego never owned Elite, nor did he sell it, nor did he have the right to print the customer list of a million dollar carpet cleaning company and start his own company off of those contacts.

Rex Tyus

Actually Gary I know the type of which you refer quite well. We have one in our area. I was just razzing on you.

as for the comment below
nor did he have the right to print the customer list of a million dollar carpet cleaning company and start his own company off of those contacts.

If the moron owner didn't think to get a non compete and a confidentiality clause he probably did.

TimP

My biggest question is why the hell don't you do tile????? My gosh it's easier than carpet and pays better, unless it's vct. Don't let a competitor in on a customer you're just asking for what is happening to you. Do yourself a favor and buy a turbo, some chems, a brush, and an edging tool and get to work. You'll spend less than 2 grand and make it back in no time. You don't need high pressure, or high heat to do it. Chems and agitation is all you need. Your TM is for rinsing only, heat and pressure help but not necessary.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Rex Tyus said:
Actually Gary I know the type of which you refer quite well. We have one in our area. I was just razzing on you.

as for the comment below
nor did he have the right to print the customer list of a million dollar carpet cleaning company and start his own company off of those contacts.

If the moron owner didn't think to get a non compete and a confidentiality clause he probably did.

It's a long story. It was owned by two families, one of the families built it into a million dollar company, and handed it over to the other family on a slow buyout. Nobody knows why or how the company changed hands with no money changing hands, but the guy who ended up with the company was hard to work with and hell-bent on running the company under. I always asked him why he never went after Mr. "Big Ego", and he didn't give me an answer. No compete clause doesn't hold up in MT. As far as confidentiality goes, I'm not sure why.

P.S., the guy who built the company into the million dollar business it was, (with 90% name recognition and awards all over the place for best equipment and Best Cleaner, Best disaster cleanup, best facilities etc. etc.) Never got a dollar from the sale. I think he is getting a two hundred dollar a month bankruptcy payout for another couple of years.

patch

Sounds like you do good work and you are known for it. Just because someone comes along and snags an occasional account from you, it isn't the end of the world. Besides, your name will get out there soon enough that he will either have to step up to the plate and improve his service or leave the industry because he can't compete with you.

Here's a safe suggestion: Advertising is all about staying in someones face. Why not send ads to the client he snagged from you? Nothing unethical about that, it's true competition. And, as you know, competition should NEVER be about price.

Hope this helps!

Matt

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
patch said:
Besides, your name will get out there soon enough that he will either have to step up to the plate and improve his service or leave the industry because he can't compete with you.
Matt

Lets get this one thing straight. He is not a hack. He is a certified carpet inspector. He has every single certification that the IICRC offers. I wish I had the knowledge of carpet cleaning that he does.

All of his techs are five year veterans at least. They are all certified. I just know for a fact that his guys do not take the same amount of time to clean that I do, and I know they don't have the setup that I do on their trucks. Their trucks aren't broke down by any means. I think they have hydramaster 4.8s...

He is good competition, and I am sure if the company owner was on a truck identical to mine and his reputation was on the line he could out-clean me. He has been cleaning ten years longer than me. I just know over all my workmanship is better because I spend the time needed on every job, I'm not motivated by production and how many jobs I can get done in a day for a discounted rate, I am motivated by every customer knowing they will never get a better clean from anyone else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom