Not Surprised That I Got A New Restaurant Job Today

PCCN

No, I am not being cocky or arrogant but I got the call today on a restaurant bid I placed last week.

Only a few hundred square feet of carpeting in this VERY sheek, "fufu" kind of dinner restaurant. Linen table cloths, crystal, china - the whole nine yards.

Nearly 60% of my work is already in restaurants so I alway am comfortable in quoting and the finished product.

However, on the day I placed my bid a few other companies also were bidding. Stanley, ChemD, and another guy with who knows... This guy walks in and I hear him ask the manager where the restroom is. Hmm, just a guy off the street- NOPE! A few minutes later he enters the room with the carpet, the manager is giving the directions of what he wants done. This guy is a cleaner! Restroom visit aside this guy is wearing his best worn-out summer shorts and printed t-shirt and his comfortable beach flip-flops. Maybe I am a prude but is he an idiot?

I cannot believe how some cleaners dress to bid or even clean. I guess they haven't a clue and don't get it when they are not awarded the job.

Needless to say, I knew the 2 franchises couldn't touch the bid, but this guy made my week. I actually felt a little sorry for him.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Congrats!

Appearance is everything!

IMG_0878.jpg

Name
Joe
No, I am not being cocky or arrogant but I got the call today on a restaurant bid I placed last week.

Only a few hundred square feet of carpeting in this VERY sheek, "fufu" kind of dinner restaurant. Linen table cloths, crystal, china - the whole nine yards.

Nearly 60% of my work is already in restaurants so I alway am comfortable in quoting and the finished product.

However, on the day I placed my bid a few other companies also were bidding. Stanley, ChemD, and another guy with who knows... This guy walks in and I hear him ask the manager where the restroom is. Hmm, just a guy off the street- NOPE! A few minutes later he enters the room with the carpet, the manager is giving the directions of what he wants done. This guy is a cleaner! Restroom visit aside this guy is wearing his best worn-out summer shorts and printed t-shirt and his comfortable beach flip-flops. Maybe I am a prude but is he an idiot?

I cannot believe how some cleaners dress to bid or even clean. I guess they haven't a clue and don't get it when they are not awarded the job.

Needless to say, I knew the 2 franchises couldn't touch the bid, but this guy made my week. I actually felt a little sorry for him.

What do you use for a pre-spray for restaurants?
Rinse or no rinse?
What do you use to agitate?
What do you use for air circulation?
How often do you clean a restaurant?
Thanks

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Anyone cleaning restaurants should not assume they are being cocky or arrogant no matter what. Its a restaurant and at night, when I'm sleeping.

Name
Ross Martin
When I first starting to read your post, I was going to ask you what you wear.

I guess not shorts and a t-shirt.

What do you wear and do you knock on doors?

I'm glad that you got the job, but I'm not 100% sure that I would have stuck around for a "casting call" with 3 other cleaners for a job that is a few hundred feet.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
IF I know i am going out.... I may wear some nice jeans (hell they are almost new as i never wear pants) But ALWAYS a nice polo type shirt....and fook no it aint tucked in.....want me to have a bigger gut then i do??? nothing worse then a fatish guy with a tucked in shirt:barf:

But I wear shorts always....yes even in winter.....

everyone is different....but guess what...WE CLEAN CARPETS AND FLOORS FOR HELLS SAKE!!!!!!!!

Know how many jobs I have taken from "suit and tie" or "kahiki and golf shirt" salesman type?? quiet a few....

you can dress nice...but a DICK is still a DICK even if its dressed nice....

Dressing "casual" to me relaxes the custy...most times....if not...

then i dont want to deal with them anyway

Name
Jesse
Congratulations on the job, some competitors make it easy.

A year or so back I was bidding a 70ksf warehouse scrubbing in one of the largest industrial complexes in town. A large company sent over a guy who was already working in the complex that day. I was standing there with the bldg manager and this guy drove his riding lawn mower into the warehouse. He looked as if he'd been running it all day. He looked around said wow this is big, asked how many sf and drove off. We laughed pretty good.

PCCN

Been using Grease Eraser for about 7 years now. Let dwell and rinse with plain water. If it is a very filthy floor of course sometimes ratoray scrubbing the prespray in is needed but very rare.

We have a fast food chain we do every other week so it makes for a fast cleaning. One family dining chain is monthly. various others are only as they call so it is basically when they are getting inspected or a customer has called and complained to the health department on them. :dejection:

PCCN

WOW! Now that's a freakin' IDIOT!. I hope it was a least a John Deer.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
IF I know i am going out.... I may wear some nice jeans (hell they are almost new as i never wear pants) But ALWAYS a nice polo type shirt....and fook no it aint tucked in.....want me to have a bigger gut then i do??? nothing worse then a fatish guy with a tucked in shirt:barf:

But I wear shorts always....yes even in winter.....

everyone is different....but guess what...WE CLEAN CARPETS AND FLOORS FOR HELLS SAKE!!!!!!!!

Know how many jobs I have taken from "suit and tie" or "kahiki and golf shirt" salesman type?? quiet a few....

you can dress nice...but a DICK is still a DICK even if its dressed nice....

Dressing "casual" to me relaxes the custy...most times....if not...

then i dont want to deal with them anyway

i suspect you MAY be forgetting to zip up...Doug!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I think that if you park on the sidewalk and walk on the lawn, the two negatives cancel each other and become a positive.

Don't they?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Been using Grease Eraser for about 7 years now. Let dwell and rinse with plain water. If it is a very filthy floor of course sometimes ratoray scrubbing the prespray in is needed but very rare.

We have a fast food chain we do every other week so it makes for a fast cleaning. One family dining chain is monthly. various others are only as they call so it is basically when they are getting inspected or a customer has called and complained to the health department on them. :dejection:

I agree on the Grease Eraser! There ain't nothing better for greasy resty carpets than GE. Spray down HOT, let dwell, and peel up the grease with a good, hot and high flow TM. I rinse with Procyon.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think that if you park on the sidewalk and walk on the lawn, the two negatives cancel each other and become a positive.

Don't they?
LOL
Hey we are out here in the sticks, driving on the side walk and walking on the garss is cool as long as you don't kill anyone or kill the grass......mainly the grass. :pig:

steve_64

or drive on the side walk? :razz:

im always afraid of cracking concrete when its just a sidewalk but hey we do what have to to get the job done. and i know its hard to stay off the grass too.

there are a lot of septic systems and wells in my area and folks always give permission to drive on the grass to make it easier but it makes me nervous. had one customer blame me for breaking a water line.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We will if it looks safe but yes you can get yourself in trouble. Had a couple of my guys pull a water truck around the back of the house for easy access to the walkout basement. By the time they were done the truck had sunk down to the rims from the weight of the water and the ground being soft. We had to pay for a tow truck to get us out and pay the fix the lawn. All because a couple of tech too the easy route instead of thinking. :mad:

steve_64

We will if it looks safe but yes you can get yourself in trouble. Had a couple of my guys pull a water truck around the back of the house for easy access to the walkout basement. By the time they were done the truck had sunk down to the rims from the weight of the water and the ground being soft. We had to pay for a tow truck to get us out and pay the fix the lawn. All because a couple of tech too the easy route instead of thinking. :mad:

yeah i get out and do a walk around before driving on grass or dirt around a home. like you said check for how hard or soft the ground is and look for signs of septic systems and wells.

spring and fall the ground is softer so im way more cautious then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom